Tidy solutions.

Amormusic

Hi folks,

Just faffed for the last couple of hours and rearranged the living room and all the kit. It no longer resides in the AV unit under the telly, but now in a rack which is in the corner.

Long and short is I have a mess of wires  behind the rack, which is also a completely see through / carbon posts number. It looks pretty messy.

Are there any decent wire-tidy solutions to hide the jungle?!

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Cheers,

PS - loving the rack though...

I particularly love the look of the fins on the Suggie. It's always lived in a cubby hole since.i got it. So now it's out and on display it's eye catching - It's a pretty fine looking amp imo 👍

Edited by Amormusic
  • Like 1

Super Wammer

There’s nothing wrong with a few loose cables as long as they’re electrically safe…

26E9284B-9064-470C-AC83-6E3D16CE82BA.jpeg.cab9d75a89548874f0361eb5f0b26268.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Aye, but it's a 5 shelf rack which is tall. So my amp is above sitting eye height. I'd like to hide it all a bit.

Edited by Amormusic

10 minutes ago, hylander said:

There’s nothing wrong with a few loose cables as long as they’re electrically safe…

26E9284B-9064-470C-AC83-6E3D16CE82BA.jpeg.cab9d75a89548874f0361eb5f0b26268.jpeg

Prince Phllip would have had something to say about that...

As for the question, yes, there are plenty of ways to tidy up cables. Unfortunately, ideally you shouldn't. It will inevitably mean running all sorts of wires close to each other and parallel to each other, which is unwise.

Rejoice in the mayhem.

Edited by rabski
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

A couple of idea's spring to mind, & I have done them both as I hate seeing the cables at the back.

First up you can get hold of a piece of hardboard, work out where holes should be for the cables coming out of the back of your equipment, cut the holes & the hardboard to the correct size & use something like velcro straps to fix to the legs/side of your rack. You can ever paint it to match the colour of the wall behind if you want to go the whole hog.

Or, use a piece of plain voile cut to size & cut small holes for the cables. Either are not difficult or time consuming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

A photo might help and inspire specific ideas. 

My own setup is a cable snake nest of a nightmare, and the shelves are fully open at the back and the sides. So in principle it's all visible. But the shelving is deep and the lighting such that it isn't really noticeable. 

Except to the sides of the shelving unit. Don't look at the sides.  Although a strategically placed large duck helps with that. 

So.... maybe some changes to the lighting / shading arrangement? And careful ornament placement? 

A pic of the unit, and the room for aesthetic context, might help. 

_____

Here's a pic of my own setup, taken a few weeks ago and so not specifically intended for this thread. A fair bit more cable tidying could have been done. 

78KweSH.jpeg

Lighting is allowed to be dim to the rear and the duck helps hide a bundle of cables going across. 

Also, 2 wooden cats (to the right of the Quad 303) help fill the gap and both hide cable ugliness to the rear and distract the eye of the beholder. 

And the draft excluder, decorated handsomely with duck images, hides a whole load of cable ugliness under the bottom shelf of the unit. 

Note : Ducks are not absolutely required for cable tidiness. But they do help. 🦆🦆🦆

Edited by JANDL100

Inspired by the above photo of my own setup, how about a dark cloth decorative sheet that hangs behind the cables against the wall, over the full area of the rack and so allows the cables to just blend in and not be highlighted? 

Edited by JANDL100

42 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Inspired by the above photo of my own setup, how about a dark cloth decorative sheet that hangs behind the cables against the wall, over the full area of the rack and so allows the cables to just blend in and not be highlighted? 

that's not a bad idea - like a Japanese changing room

Edited by Bokke

Thanks all.

The cloth solutions are a no go for safety I think. The Sugden gets very warm, so for safety I'd avoid this I think. 

Cable snakes might work. I didn't know that was a thing. Would this not introduce issues if they are all crushed together as per Rabskis comment?

I might try to mount a rear wall coloured back board with wire gap to allow the jungle to live behind.

I'll try and get a pic later when the daylight comes.

10 hours ago, rabski said:

Prince Phllip would have had something to say about that...

As for the question, yes, there are plenty of ways to tidy up cables. Unfortunately, ideally you shouldn't. It will inevitably mean running all sorts of wires close to each other and parallel to each other, which is unwise.

Rejoice in the mayhem.

Having been to New Delhi myself, I can see why Prince Phillip might compare. It seems some folk just are just not bothered how their cables lay.

To the original poster, you could just pull all the cables parallel to each shelf from the components then use velcro wraps to secure them all down the back of one leg of the rack keeping mains cables and interconnects in their own bundles.

DH-01-02.thumb.jpg.514b523c5e993e321525065bbc90ca5e.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

Cable snakes might work. I didn't know that was a thing. Would this not introduce issues if they are all crushed together as per Rabskis comment?

If the rack has two rear legs, you could have one 'snake' for power cables down one leg and another for signal cables down the other. Provided the relevant cables are long enough of course.

The hardboard back idea could work but how well may depend on what range of angles the unit will be viewed from.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

In my experience most of the mess of cables is simply caused by cables being too long for the units they connect. 

Rather than spending large sums of money on ready made cables that are at least 1 metre long, often 2m or 3m, why not work out the layout of your units and make up cables which are just the length you need? It's not hard to solder up a cable - plenty of YT tutorials. Use some decent cable and connectors and not only will it look better but it should sound better too. 

I'm 99.999% sure that Wammers are using interconnects that are too long for the units they connect. The exception is probably speaker cables but not always. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pmcuk said:

In my experience most of the mess of cables is simply caused by cables being too long for the units they connect. 

Excellent point. There are other benefits to keeping cable runs short as well as the aesthetics.

• Like 2