Digital Cables there all the same right ? Sadly I find out they are not .

bencat

I am writing this so anyone who has an inclination to try something which is very different to give it a go . In my spare room system which is a three way active set up my Player is an Allo Digione Signature with dual Shanti power supply . It is so far the best digital source I have used and I have been very happy with the results.

After reading @George 47review of @Fourlegs cables and having a chat with Nick at the Hi Fi show I was made the offer which he does to anyone that contacts him of a 14 day loan of one of his digital cables with BNC at one end and RCA Phono at the other. This is the first digital input cable from the Allo to my MiniDSP DDRC 22D which then does the Dirac Live DSP treatment . This is pobably within my system not the best place to have this cable but as the next digital cable is an AES/EBU which Nick does not make it is the only place I could use this cable. The advice with using this cable is to make it the last digital cable in the chain .

So as promised the cable arrived and it is a very well made and thick cable not as flexible as many and being very heavy it does need some support to stop it lifting the Allo which isof course very light.

I listened as I would normally for around twenty minutes with my existing bnc to rca cable and then made the switch . I am not going to say to anyone that the effect of this cable is huge and instant and comes with wild fanfares and cherubs flying in the air as it is not that at all . In fact the music just continues and all the elements that were there before are there still . Then you listen a bit longer and the change starts to worm its way in to your head . Instruments start to sound more nuanced and realistic , voices are now easily identified as real coming from a mouth and vocal chords in a real space and position . One of the things that was very revealing was listening to Cerys on Six Music . I listen to her show most Sundays and love the variety and choice of music. Missed last weeks so used the listen again on BBC Sounds and the clarity and real space of the talking parts was so much more now than before . Overall the sound is quieter but more dynamic the subtle differences and shifts between quiet and loud are easier to hear and any decay or reverb is much easier to define and hear as a part of the recording as whole.

The good part of this is I have no doubt at all that this cable does make a difference and one that for me is very hard to leave and return to my previous set up . This is then the bad part I have to admit I thought I was going to be able to have an interesting couple of weeks listening and then just wave goodbye , this is just not possible for me now . Once I heard the results and how it makes all of my music sound better there was no way I was going to be without this cable . So I have bought a cable that is more expensive than most of my system and I have always been sceptical about others doing this . Well apologies to all of you if your experiences have been similar to this one then I know why you paid out and just enjoyed the music afterwards.

Given the usual issues that will come with any cable post I was slightly inclined to just stay quiet and enjoy things but in fairness Nick has and does work hard to design , tune and construct these cables and when they are as effective as they are then someone needs to say so .

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Bokke said:

good post

what makes the difference: quality of materials / connections or the measurements are perfect to the required spec?

I guess all the above.

Im looking for good quality AES if anyone knows 

I've moved over to USB now, but have tried lots of digital cables in previous iterations of my system - I found the Atlas Mavros AES/EBU the pick of the bunch - they occasionally pop up on eBay s/h for under £150 - actually a serious bargain in my view given the boost in SQ - my starting point is always pro/studio stuff, but I tried some fairly fancy pants crap as well - YMMV as ever.... MH

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MotherSky said:

I've moved over to USB now, but have tried lots of digital cables in previous iterations of my system - I found the Atlas Mavros AES/EBU the pick of the bunch - they occasionally pop up on eBay s/h for under £150 - actually a serious bargain in my view given the boost in SQ - my starting point is always pro/studio stuff, but I tried some fairly fancy pants crap as well - YMMV as ever.... MH

Thanks 

Anyone who's starting point is pro is top in my opinion

1 hour ago, Bokke said:

good post

what makes the difference: quality of materials / connections or the measurements are perfect to the required spec?

I guess all the above.

There is a second hand Transparent Audio Reference on eBay, AES/EBU, I have two of these, fab things, only beaten by AT&T glass connection in my book,

• Like 1

Bencat: There is no return now.....you are right it is impossible to unhear it. :D

Bokke: Good quality AES/EBU? The Audioquest Carbon is a great cable and not too expensive. (£189). And for the more exotic then Gothic Audio pure silver cables (£290).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Bencat: There is no return now.....you are right it is impossible to unhear it. :D

Bokke: Good quality AES/EBU? The Audioquest Carbon is a great cable and not too expensive. (£189). And for the more exotic then Gothic Audio pure silver cables (£290).

thanks George - I've been eyeing up the gothic silver since that gothic audio post many weeks ago - he posts his specs also 

Edited by Bokke

2 hours ago, Bokke said:

good post

I guess all the above.

Vovox (pro audio) cable is excellent & affordable. If that's you thing :)  * You can choose what quality connector you prefer ?

Edited by garn63
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, garn63 said:

Vovox (pro audio) cable is excellent & affordable. If that's you thing :)

my thing is getting the best quality for the cheapest cost while not paying for advertising and the MD's porche.

thats why Gothic has my interest. If someone can open up the cables and show me why its different - I wont mind paying the extra 

Edited by Bokke
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, garn63 said:

Vovox (pro audio) cable is excellent & affordable. If that's you thing :)  * You can choose what quality connector you prefer ?

Vovox are a more recent discovery for me - I have one of their USB cables which is superb - their prices are significantly higher than most other pro cable I have used: much more in line with "hifi" prices - how on earth anyone could afford to wire up an entire studio with their stuff beats me...

• Like 2

Shunyata Venom for me, relatively affordable in the grand scheme of things and just wonderful. I tried SO many digital cables , some much more pricey than the Venom, but always came back to it. I have an ethernet, usb and aes, and haven't bothered trying other cables out since. I find they are the Rolls Royce of digital cables, where I find Cardas to be the equivalent in analogue cables. 

Never tried one of Nicks cables, but imagine they are pretty darn good!

Edited by Southeastern
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bokke said:

my thing is getting the best quality for the cheapest cost while not paying for advertising and the MD's porche.

thats why Gothic has my interest. If someone can open up the cables and show me why its different - I wont mind paying the extra 

80 bucks new ...50 ish s/h ? Take a look ,am sure they will have pics & details should you want them. ( vovox webste). That's my cable chat quota for 6 months up :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StingRay said:

@bencat. Thanks for the review.

Is it the Storm Reference SPDIF cable you are using?

Yes that is the one I now own ,I really can not believe I did this but @George 47is spot on once you hear the difference it is just not possible to go back .

• Like 1