Help! Valve Sansui AU-70 has been smashed in transport due to bad packaging

atopos

Hi there. 

I need advice who or where I can find help in my case. 

I bought on auction this amplifier. I was so happy that I could get it in reasonable money.

Unfortunately it was too far from me (Ireland), so I was forced to organised a courier.

Mail Boxes Etc. Belfast was recommended to me as trusted courier.
Got shock when they estimated job of Collection packing and Shipping for £120!

But OK, all costs still in budget.

I've been told that amplifier has been collected and will be packed and shipped next day.
I said:
No rush - it's an Collector's Item - please pack is safely.

Result of my request you can see on attached photos.

I gave them over 10 days for this job.
After this time got email from them that amp. is packed and waiting for courier (Parcel Force).

Parcel has been delivered last Wednesday 20th.
I found it outside, behind Bin in rainy day!

Very poor packing materials. Cheap box, one layer of bubble wrap + this funny infill.

Damages on a side of case.

But amp. got hit and I hear some loose elements inside.

Will check it tomorrow because a few hours ago amp was slightly wet yet.

Anyway:
Sent to Mail Boxes Etc. complaint.
Got answer that they pack all items like that and haven't had any problems yet.

Advised that I have to submit complaint to Parcel Force but maybe will get £100 refund because parcel wasn't insured.

I wasn't advised that this service is excluding insurance.
Even I didn't realize that in this price (£120 for service) there's no insurance!

Anyway: 
They do not admit their responsibility.

I don't know where I have to looking for help.

6666.jpg

66.jpg

77.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

444.jpg

999.jpg

666666.jpg

4.jpg

666.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The only problem with this Earth are the people on it…

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

that's such a shame. Was this the one that was on ebay?

Edited by Bazzer

Looks like MailBoxes operate from a recycling centre.  They could of wrapped it in a woolly  jumper ?  They obviously dont mind mugging people.  The box extensions & quality taping ?   V.sad for you matey.  

It seems that you didn't clarify how the packing would be done, nor explicitly accepted how it would be done, and didn't check if there was insurance or not.  If this is the case then you appear not to have much recourse against anyone.  

Horrible situation and all for the sake of saving at a guess £5 on the part of the shipper in using decent packaging.

Just thought of something.  Was this eBay?  Did the seller arrange the courier or your arrange the courier?  If it was eBay and the seller arranged the courier you could have some recourse as eBay expects sellers to be responsible for the item arriving safely.

Just now, DomT said:

It seems that you didn't clarify how the packing would be done, nor explicitly accepted how it would be done, and didn't check if there was insurance or not.  If this is the case then you appear not to have much recourse against anyone.  

Sadly true I suspect. 

For future reference, all items of hifi are specifically excluded from courier insurance policy for damage, as they are classed as musical instruments.

They will only be covered for loss or theft so I don't think you will have any recourse.

1 minute ago, robbie010 said:

For future reference, all items of hifi are specifically excluded from courier insurance policy for damage, as they are classed as musical instruments.

They will only be covered for loss or theft so I don't think you will have any recourse.

unless the outside of the box is visibly damaged as in this case

This is miserable and I can't offer any useful opinion beyond the bleeding obvious that £120 is not DPD prices so what were you paying for if not care and attention. It is not well enough packed for a piece of furniture, for a case of records, for books even,  and at that price it shouldn't be left behind a bin.

But old Sansui amps are well built so get a tech to open it up and see inside, don't do it yourself if after compensation, maybe the damage is not severe, and the amp can be fixed? If it is severe his report may help lever some compensation, though you'll earn your crust getting it I fear.

Best of luck!

18 minutes ago, DomT said:

Hi there.

I advised them that this is an collector's item and require safe packaging.

Gave them more than 10 days for packing job.

Paid £120.

15 minutes ago, atopos said:

Hi there.

I advised them that this is an collector's item and require safe packaging.

Gave them more than 10 days for packing job.

Paid £120.

On the face of it the packing was not fit for purpose. Possibly notify them of that and then if they refute it then pursue through the small claims court system. Make sure you record everything as you go as has been suggested in getting someone to inspect the amp and give a report, maybe you can get someone to state in writing what packaging would have been fit for purpose etc.

it is the seller's responsibility to send you the item in the condition as described in the listing.  He may choose to protect himself under the terms of the sale by maybe asking the buyer to pay for additional insurance.  In the case of insurance being taken out it would still be encumbent on the seller to both pack in accordance with the terms  of the insurance company and then in the event of loss for the seller to make the claim; not you as the buyer because you as the buyer do not have a contract with the insurers and/or courier.

Albeit in your case looking at the photos I would suggest the damage is superficial and easy to repair so after at least asking the seller for a contribution just move on and get it repaired. 

You are now the lucky owner of one of the best amplifiers ever made by Sansui and which along with its bigger brother the AU-111 was the last of the valve amps ever made by Sansui.  

Attached is a photo of mine (now sold) after recapping it a few years ago.  An absolute nightmare of circuitry best described as a birds nest but nevertheless wonderful.  

Sansui AU-70 014.jpg

• Like 1