ATC Studio vs HI-FI Active speakers

ANADROL-50

2 hours ago, ANADROL-50 said:

Apart from looks, what are the (sonic) differences, between the ATC Studio / Professional and HIFI / Consumer range of active loudspeakers ?

According to ATC they are essentially identical, apart from the cabinet finish.

With the Active Tower domestic models, there is the option to specify upgraded ("Anniversary") amp packs, with discrete power-supplies. I'm not certain whether that option is available with the Pro models. The Anni amp packs reduce the cutoff frequency slightly, and give you a tad more headroom in terms of maximum SPL, as if either was necessary!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

If you're comparing somethng in particular it would be worth checking that exactly the same spec. drivers are used in each. 

Everything is exactly the same, apart from the cabinet finish. The Pro models have a scratch-resistant finish, which the domestic models don't have. The only other feature on the Pros is the option to move the tweeter if the speakers are used in landscape configuration. There's an extra hole in the baffle for that, which the domestic models don't have.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ANADROL-50 said:

Apart from looks, what are the (sonic) differences, between the ATC Studio / Professional and HIFI / Consumer range of active loudspeakers ?

they are identical - zero difference - I've been to ATC and that's straight from them 

• Like 6

Well, SCM40 for example have no SL spec drivers, while SCM50s all 3 are SL spec. In the "home" line, none of the models have an SL spec tweeter. I don't know about potential differences in amp packs of active models.

Regarding "voicing" - that is a dirty word for ATC and they don't "voice" their speaker lines differently. Their philosophy of good sound and good product is constant throughout lines and models. One of the reasons I love that company - no bullshit.

• Like 5