Buying Hifi From Europe

beermaniac

Buying from a private seller? You'll get charged UK VAT and a customs handling fee by the courier, prior to delivery. 

Buying from a trader? It depends if they are VAT registered in the Netherlands, the sale price of the item, and whether they use the IOSS scheme (for items under 150 euros).

The seller I was trying to buy from pulled out because of the excessive customs paperwork; I had already agreed a 20% add on customs fee. Paul is correct.

In the vast majority of cases you'll pay VAT, plus possibly duty and handling charges. Frankly, post Brexit buying kit from the EU is just not really economic. Yet another Brexit win (not)!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Sad to say that it is no longer feasible to purchase from the UK into the EU, due to duty and other charges. For many years  purchased HIFI and other musically related gear from the UK and every seller was top class. Another win for Brexit?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beermaniac said:

Hi all

Just looking for folks experience in buying components from EU land after brexit. I am interested in a NAD amp at a good price from an online Dutch market place.

Will i get charged import taxes and VAT on top if its not a new item?

Any thoughts welcomed emoji106.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buying from a VAT registered dealer in Europe is OK as they can send it to you free of local VAT (21% in Netherlands for example), but you should expect to pay UK VAT and maybe a bit of duty when delivered here - and maybe a handling charge from the courier.  Buying from Europe is now similar to buying from the US where kit can be sent free of local Sales Tax but taxes are levied here.

Buying privately is now much less attrachtive (that you Brexit!) as the seller can't claim any of the local VAT he paid and you will have to pay UK VAT on its current (not new) value when it arrives here.

I bought my Avantgarde Duos from a Dutch dealer a couple of months before the end of last year with Dutch VAT paid, so no UK VAT or Duty payable.  Still saved me £12K  compared with UK RRP. 

Edited by hearhere

Super Wammer

I bought a CD player on eBay from a French seller for £240. All negotiated discounts wiped out by additional import costs of £60. 

Hardly going to persuade anyone who voted Leave to realise the error of their ways unfortunately. No doubt dismissed as a First World problem with a non-Gallic shrug of the shoulders. Unlike lots of other avoidable Leave-induced difficulties which affect everyone.

Edited by TheFlash
Hadn’t moaned enough
  • Like 4

I've bought a lot of valves from Europe after Brexit - mostly the Netherlands. I good good deals so I was willing to pay the VAT and charges. I was very pleased when one parcel worth over £300 just arrived with no charges. It can be a random thing. I only buy valves I simply can't get in the UK. No option. But I wouldn't be looking to Europe for deals on stuff I can buy over here. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
33 minutes ago, hearingisbelieving said:

Maybe I can help?

Fabulous! Do you have an HGV license? If not, you might want to keep your voice down to help manage demand! 😏

I’ll leave it to someone else to point out that import charges are still due…

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Fabulous! Do you have an HGV license? If not, you might want to keep your voice down to help manage demand! 😏

I’ll leave it to someone else to point out that import charges are still due…

Omg excuse me for trying to help in the spiritof the wam! Who rattled your cage?

• Like 3

If UK customs finds the stuff in your vehicle we could all club together and send you a cake with a file in it. 

That's the true spirit of the Wam. :^

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, hearingisbelieving said:

Omg excuse me for trying to help in the spiritof the wam! Who rattled your cage?

Back at you! You are clearly suffering from factophobia. My tongue was of course heading towards my cheek but some folk missed that.

Your offer remains a generous one, saving fellow wammers both the costs and delays of commercial shipping. 🙏

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer

Anyway, tetchiness aside... am I allowed, as a Remain voter, to point out something else without being called Mr Picky?

Britain is still in Europe. It is just not in the European Union. As I sit here on the south coast of France, I find it comforting to know that I am only as far from home as I was when I came here in 2018. We haven’t been cast adrift into the mid-Atlantic. Well, not geographically even if politically!

Bon courage, mes braves.

• Like 1