Akurate to Klimax Exakt hub for 530 ?

I have an Akurate Exakt hub + 530 system. I can upgrade it with a second hand Klimax Hub.  Is there a real musical advantage to be hoped for with this setup?  I would like to upgrade my system.  A priori katalyst is still not planned on the 530. Thank you for your feedback.

6 minutes ago, Gilangelugo said:

I have an Akurate Exakt hub + 530 system. I can upgrade it with a second hand Klimax Hub.  Is there a real musical advantage to be hoped for with this setup?  I would like to upgrade my system.  A priori katalyst is still not planned on the 530. Thank you for your feedback.

I’ll doubt that. But others will turn up claiming that it will 🙂. However, if the second hand Klimax Hub is from a dealer you should have the possibility to try it out your self before buying. 

• Like 2

I believe the advice to listen, if you can, is a good one. If you are not able to compare and you are not buying from a dealer - then you would need to consider the 'vintages' of the two pieces of equipment.

If you are looking to replace roughly like-with-like (date-wise eg. 2016 with 2016) then I would always recommend that the Klimax sounds better than the Akurate version and would likely to be a worthwhile upgrade. If you were replacing a later ASH with an earlier KSH then I would suggest not. It is also worth considering whether either pieces of equipment still retain any of Linn's 5 year warranty. This would be important for me if I were to purchase outside of the dealer network.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gilangelugo said:

My system is from 2016 and the proposed Klimax hub is also from this year.

I will probably have to do a comparative listening at the official dealer.  the Klimax is on deposit.

The Klimax will be better.

Know someone who has just done the same.

• Like 2

A friend of mine bought 520s after I had raved about them.  He was waiting for a traded in KEDSM andbought a late Akurate Exakt DSM to tide him over.  He got the KEDSM last week and found it to be far superior and is now selling the Akurate.

I have run 520s and recently 530s - bothsystems were brilliant.

If you can afford it and find one, Iwould recommend a 2018 variant KEDSM.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gilangelugo said:

this is the 2016 version that is offered to me at an attractive price.  how is the 2018 version better?  is it possible to upgrade the Klimax?

I replaced my 2017 with a new KEDSM in 2020 which was obviously a 2018 variant.  The 2018 variant I belive had new surface mount technology and I found it a sigificant upgrade.  Butnote that I was blown away by how good 520/530s were with my pre 2018 variant.

The later version would cost a lot more assuming you can find one.

• Like 1

I replaced my 2017 with a new KEDSM in 2020 which was obviously a 2018 variant.  The 2018 variant I belive had new surface mount technology and I found it a sigificant upgrade.  Butnote that I was blown away by how good 520/530s were with my pre 2018 variant.
The later version would cost a lot more assuming you can find one.

Do you mean the KSH? From linn docs it looks like the KEDSM/1 was a 2016-2108 varian and was replaced by the Klimax system hub. The KEDSM/0 is the pre 2016 variant.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Tukans (Silvers/K400)
  • Upvote 1

This is what I should've done when I had 530s. In retrospect, moving from Akurate hub to Klimax hub should've happened before going to Akubariks.

2 hours ago, zee9 said:

Do you mean the KSH? From linn docs it looks like the KEDSM/1 was a 2016-2108 varian and was replaced by the Klimax system hub. The KEDSM/0 is the pre 2016 variant.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Tukans (Silvers/K400)

I am referring to KDSMs that only have Exakt outputs.  I have not kept track of what Linn call them !

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gilangelugo said:
5 hours ago, Gilangelugo said:

Do you know what updates i need to make to be up to the current klimax?

The only way to update a Klimax Exakt hub to the current version is to buy the latest version referred to as the next generation Klimax Exakt Hub.  £15 K !

Linn do not offer the ability to upgade say a 2016 variant to the 2018 version. The only way to do it is to replace the 2016 variant with a 2018 variant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Currently this is correct. Gilad did say he wanted to offer upgrades for the "classic" Klimax within a year of NG launch.

Even if / when it happens it might not include the hub and it will likely be a compromise compared to NG products due to space constraints.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Upvote 1