My DIY 4 way speaker system

Bokke

My friend Jon solved this sub woofer/in room size problem by putting his bass horns under the floor. But then he is a architect !

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tuga said:

I think that the problem is the (sub)woofer which requires a massive cabinet. It is a lovely-looking driver and a competent one at that, but if your brief requires small-ish bass bins and you've no need for above-average sensitivity then there are other, perhaps more suitable, options.

I wanted it large like it is - I've only been joking about the size 

I have a massive area to cover 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bokke said:

Here's another design for the top cabinet

IMG-20211119-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.60566c7e1e7289597a0168cd7f382e3a.jpeg

so that's if i use a 10 inch 

I can cut off another 50mm if I use the 8 inch 

Let me know what you all think - I'm not decided yet to go with the or stick to original

Edited by Bokke

5 hours ago, Bokke said:

so that's if i use a 10 inch 

I can cut off another 50mm if I use the 8 inch 

Let me know what you all think - I'm not decided yet to go with the or stick to original

Just my 2 dumb cents sir :)

We like big drivers because they go deeper, but at the same time they can't go higher. So there  has to be an ideal handover from driver to driver all the way through. If you are getting the volt 15 inch bass drivers, then the 10 inchers to Bridge the gap to the mid range will be fine in my opinion. But considering that the mid range is a 3 inch dome, maybe 8 inch mid bass driver might suit better. Just my 2 cents again :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Just my 2 dumb cents sir :)

We like big drivers because they go deeper, but at the same time they can't go higher. So there  has to be an ideal handover from driver to driver all the way through. If you are getting the volt 15 inch bass drivers, then the 10 inchers to Bridge the gap to the mid range will be fine in my opinion. But considering that the mid range is a 3 inch dome, maybe 8 inch mid bass driver might suit better. Just my 2 cents again :D

You are not Dumb my good fellow man - you talk sense

both will work in the range although the 8 is more than adequate

I liked the 10 because the specs matched the 15 better imo. 

• Like 1

@newlash09, don't forget that the 8"/10" woofer will be crossing to a midrange, not a tweeter.

So it probably doesn't really matter whether @Bokke uses one or the other in terms of directivity, whilst the 10" will give increased headroom. I would probably get the flattest of the two.

If you look at the Graham Audio VOTU, a 3-way which uses the Volt mid and 2x 10" Volt woofers, the crossover frequencies are 800Hz and 4kHz and the directivity mismatch between mid and woofers at 30º (blue curve) is only slight and perhaps partly caused by the use of an array:

UIaok51.png

Edited by tuga
typos
  • Like 2

Super Wammer

My point would be that as the majority of the bottom end is being covered by the 15” driver, an 8” mid bass driver would potentially (also amp dependant) give a faster response time than a 10” adding in some “bass punch” when needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MF 1000 said:

My point would be that as the majority of the bottom end is being covered by the 15” driver, an 8” mid bass driver would potentially (also amp dependant) give a faster response time than a 10” adding in some “bass punch” when needed.

Personally, for a 4-way I would use the 15" driver for sub- and low-bass only, so crossed around or below 100-150Hz, and have a single "voice" from the mid-bass to the mid-mids (around 800Hz, because @Bokke wants to use a mid dome).

Most instrument and voice fundamental notes live in that range:

DwpDWiN.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Which is more or less how my 4 way is crossed over below 1KHz 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tuga said:

Personally, for a 4-way I would use the 15" driver for sub- and low-bass only, so crossed around or below 100-150Hz, and have a single "voice" from the mid-bass to the mid-mids (around 800Hz, because @Bokke wants to use a mid dome).

Most instrument and voice fundamental notes live in that range:

DwpDWiN.jpg

that's more or less how it will be done 👍

In my 4 way speakers, in which I am currently using 4 active B139 subs (one small and one big per side), I have ended up using the bigger ones below about 70Hz and the smaller ones between 70-200 ish where they meet up with the mid bass drivers. This works quite well as there is music from the smaller sub but the lower one does all the really low trouser flapping, giving the smaller one some extra headroom.

However I suspect your drivers have more headroom than B139. I have some B220s mounted up ready to take over the upper B139s, but I need to tweak the crossover a bit first, and still contemplating the fate of the lower B139s which will either be replaced with 4 B139s a side or some 18" + bass guitar driver which I used in the past for effortless lows. If only I could find another one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

I have a couple of ‘spare’ race track B139’s left Dave, from when I ran my transmission line subs, if you need them. 

On 22/11/2021 at 06:42, MF 1000 said:

I have a couple of ‘spare’ race track B139’s left Dave, from when I ran my transmission line subs, if you need them. 

Thanks Keith, I have amassed a small mountain (11) of these drivers, and a few of the newer ones. I will bear in mind your kind offer if I find any of them are not working properly. Thanks.

Edited by dave