Enjoyment. My System sounds good right now.

garn63

1 hour ago, Le Baron said:

Who does pelvic thrusts these days apart from dads dancing at weddings?

image.png.17eec91b71ccae9207d47485712ee868.png

😁

• Haha 3

I still have some way to go I think to get to a point where I'm happy with the sound of my system (the "hi-fi" element), but I am happy right now with the music it makes (the "emotive" element). The latter being far more important for me, but I'll still keep going on the former!

• Like 1

Who does pelvic thrusts these days apart from dads dancing at weddings?

Klassik is the uninhibited kind.  Surely this will be a surprise to nobody here.  ;)

I can fall into line with the dancing lark, depending what is on the turntable. If it's bossa or disco I usually do dance. If it's a symphony I'll sit quietly until the crescendos cause me to do that air conducting. If it's Satie I ride a unicycle around the room. If it's Wagner I go to the pub.

Being able to vigorously air conduct while listening to classical music is one of the main advantages of listening to classical music at home as compared to listening at a public space.  As uninhibited as Klassik might be, Klassik figures most concert halls frown upon air conducting, especially the vigorous kind which might result in the accidental striking of a senior citizen :o, and certainly pelvic thrusts seem out of the question.  xD  Klassik has no rules regarding air conducting at home.  Klassik will even do it with chamber music where there obviously would not be any kind of conducting going on.  It's all part of enjoying the music!  It's probably also good for the sake of physical fitness.

As for the unicycle ride when listening to Satie, do you hold an umbrella while you ride the unicycle?  ;)

Klassik finds it difficult to listen to the music of Bizet without getting Bizet with serious air conducting and air cymbal playing.  This is not Klassik's preferred recording of Les Toréadors, but this album cover is so daft that Klassik believes it should be publicly shared.  ;)

I listen while sitting in a leather chair. It's very thick leather so it doesn't squeak and it isn't sticky if you're properly dressed (or sticky anyway, what are you up to?).

It is hot here in Texas so being 'properly dressed' for home listening here is quite a loose standard.  Maybe it isn't so hot in the UK, but Klassik knows Wigwammers have Class A and tube amps.  xD  Besides, after boogieing with physical activity to the music for a while, one does not wish to get stuck to the sofa.

1 hour ago, Lee M said:

The system is the system, liking it for what it is, thinking of downgrading and putting the money towards a hot tub/sauna in the garden. See what daft quotes I get for a few bits of wood lashed together. Id be happy to use the AV kit to listen to tunes. I'm lucky to have a room for music, 

Are you going to go for the surround sound hot tub?  xD

speakers-for-hot-tub.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was at the concert hall in maybe 2017/18 watching Bruckner 6 and I started conducting when the scherzo was in full flow (it's hard not to). Far over the other side I saw a woman nudge her partner and point me out. :D

I was up in the 'cheap seats', which are better actually because you have a good view and the sound is more rounded. The rich pensioners don't sit; in fact you often have about 5 empty seats around you here so you can conduct in safety.

Edited by Le Baron
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Klassik said:

absolutely, 😄

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, lazycat said:

Dunno. I'd have to see a pic of klassik first.

What does a picture look like in the third person...? :dunno:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

What does a picture look like in the third person...? :dunno:

It looks like a Klassik.  xD

• Haha 1

Hmm, yes, interesting thread. 

I'm almost always happy with my system, if I wasn't I'd mod it till I was. 

But of late, like many others here apparently, it has hit a particularly enjoyable groove. 

I do wonder if, when that happens, it's uniquely enjoyable to the system's owner and that others would consider it to be over-euphonic or just plain wrong? 

I'll be finding out next Thursday when a couple of musically similar-minded Wammers are popping over.  My first audio-buddy get together at home for getting on for 2 years. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

I do wonder if, when that happens, it's uniquely enjoyable to the system's owner and that others would consider it to be over-euphonic or just plain wrong? 

I've thought the same TBH. 

But it sounds good to me and that's what matters. I'm playing more music than I have done for quite some time.

And I've always found this to be the best judge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Klassik said:

Klassik is the uninhibited kind.  Surely this will be a surprise to nobody here.  ;)

Being able to vigorously air conduct while listening to classical music is one of the main advantages of listening to classical music at home as compared to listening at a public space.  As uninhibited as Klassik might be, Klassik figures most concert halls frown upon air conducting, especially the vigorous kind which might result in the accidental striking of a senior citizen :o, and certainly pelvic thrusts seem out of the question.  xD  Klassik has no rules regarding air conducting at home.  Klassik will even do it with chamber music where there obviously would not be any kind of conducting going on.  It's all part of enjoying the music!  It's probably also good for the sake of physical fitness.

As for the unicycle ride when listening to Satie, do you hold an umbrella while you ride the unicycle?  ;)

Klassik finds it difficult to listen to the music of Bizet without getting Bizet with serious air conducting and air cymbal playing.  This is not Klassik's preferred recording of Les Toréadors, but this album cover is so daft that Klassik believes it should be publicly shared.  ;)

It is hot here in Texas so being 'properly dressed' for home listening here is quite a loose standard.  Maybe it isn't so hot in the UK, but Klassik knows Wigwammers have Class A and tube amps.  xD  Besides, after boogieing with physical activity to the music for a while, one does not wish to get stuck to the sofa.

I bet Handel’s Water Music sounds good whilst sat in it …..but never listen to the theme tune from Jaws ! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

I bet Handel’s Water Music sounds good whilst sat in it …..but never listen to the theme tune from Jaws ! 

Klassik is quite sure Mendelssohn's The Hebrides overture would sound pretty epic in a hot tub.  This would especially be the case if one could somehow synchronize the tub jets with the music.  :o

As for Jaws, John Williams absolutely stole that from the opening of the last movement of Dvořák's New World Symphony.  :S  Dvořák's work would sound great in the hot tub as well.  In fact, Klassik might well air conduct and do pelvic thrusts while listening to this...probably not while in a hot tub though.  In that case, Klassik may only do the former.  ;)

I am lucky enough to have two systems, one in the lounge, which is my  main analogue set up, and also valve based, and has my Ls35a's, which suit this small room really well. My active set up, is upstairs, and is mainly digital, KJF Audio 6 channel class D hypex amp  to drive  3 way actives, Pi streaming into an Oppo dac. I am really pleased with both systems, and have recently added a Quintet Black to the analogue system and a Khozmo pre amp to the digital system, both these items have finished these set ups, beautifully. So its music all the way now :) 

• Like 4

I have three systems that i use mainly . In the bedroom were I am now is my three way active and frankly it sounds wonderful and I do listen every day for hours. I have an AV system in the front room with Onkyo Receiver and Harbeth Compact Monitors which works nicely for all TV watching and Jules Holland on occasion . It also sound fine when streaming from a Pi with Allo Digione hat .

My music room is the one that has had the least use currently it is a bike park with four bikes in there for which I have to find a storage solution . The Quads are currently being powered by an XTZ Class A amp and when I move the bikes out things sound very good indeed. I am waiting for the final piece in this system and that is the Croft OTL 3 amp which is currently with Glenn Croft . Once this has been serviced/upgraded and is back then it will get installed in this system and just that alone will force me to get a solution for the bikes as I will be really desperate to get the system set up and listen to it .

As has been said all of the equipment while interesting and some time compelling to work on it is only the side show for the the arrival of the music , that is what matters and why I still keep buying new music month after month . I long ago worked out that I am unlikely ever to be able to listen to all the music I already own and adding to it just makes things worse but there is a drive to get the next new piece .

All things added up I am very content with what I have achieved in all of my systems and each one is able to deliver what I want without me thinking about adding things to make them better. Sadly certain people on this forum keep showing me things that do improve things which has been costly but once you hear the improvement it is very hard to go back . What i need to do now is listen to the music and not hear any other equipment . Probably easier said than done. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I was very fortunate to find a lovely lady after Judy passed away and to be honest 2 hits of love in life is a Bonus. Diane has allowed me to indulge in my passion for music ,, albeit she has the final say on the aesthetics , but she does have a good eye .. ..Both our daughters have embraced everything we do and that is also a bonus …

I have a main system that sounds truly lovely and looks fabulous..And with the mancave I have a space to play about with the stuff I’ve collected over the years and that too is a bonus ..

But the main bonus is, I still wake up everyday with the grace to realise I’m a very fortunate man …

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3