mullard cv2493 valve

robin

Super Wammer

Hi guys, just got myself a audio note dac 2x1 , it has two of these in it, that look fine, the dac sounds lovely, the guy i bought it from included two 6922 valves as replacements , he said the online manual said these are what the dac uses, so im a little confused, can anyone please enlighten me ? 

Super Wammer

Maybe an email to AN to clarify?

From the link below, it looks to be broadly equivalent to a 6922 / 6dj8.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_cv2493.html

It clearly works in the circuit you have, so the 6922 replacements may well be fine, but as above probably best to check with AN.

1 hour ago, robin said:

Hi guys, just got myself a audio note dac 2x1 , it has two of these in it, that look fine, the dac sounds lovely, the guy i bought it from included two 6922 valves as replacements , he said the online manual said these are what the dac uses, so im a little confused, can anyone please enlighten me ? 

The CV2493 is essentially  upmarket military 6922 only made by Mullard  it was developed from E88CC/01  Len Gregory got me a pair replacing a pair of 6dj8 for a pre-amp many years ago they are very low noise with bottom double mica to prevent vibration they also have a screen between the box triodes though not mentioned in the Valve Museum writeup below large solid dimple disc getter & gold pins. Unlike a lot of Military valves they are musical, Just found one of mine in one of my boxes of valves the other is in my Leak Troughline with TdP stereo decoder.   There is also a CV2492 I think without  the screen not quite as good

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/abs0003.htm

https://www.valvecollector.uk/cv2493.htm

Edited by John (big)
add file/photo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, marko said:

Maybe an email to AN to clarify?

seems impossible to find a email address for audio note, also they changed the valves over the years and i think on what they had in stock

7 minutes ago, robin said:

seems impossible to find a email address for audio note, also they changed the valves over the years and i think on what they had in stock

At a guess came with 6922/6dj8 upgraded to the CV2493 

• Upvote 1

My preamp uses 6DJ8 valves but i have experimented with others - currently have National Panasonic 7DJ8 in and they are sounding great.

When I got the Preamp I did some research on 6DJ8 valves and alternatives and this is what I found 

·       6DJ8 / ECC88 is the "standard grade" of this family.  They normally have steel pins.

·       6922 / E88CC is a "premium grade" version of the 6DJ8.  Most have gold plated pins, but many Sylvania manufactured 6922's have steel pins (a few Sylvania's are gold pin). 

·       7308 / E188CC is generally the highest quality tube in the 6DJ8/ECC88 family.  Most have gold pins.  Sylvania's are steel pin.  They are designed with low microphonics and low noise.  Sections are usually pretty closely matched.

·       7DJ8 / PCC88  These are 7 volt filaments which were designed to be used in series string circuits.  However, they work well in standard 6DJ8 circuits and can generally be used as direct substitutes.  You can save some some money using these.

·       CCa  This is a special version of the 6922 / E88CC which is usually only found as Siemens or Telefunken.  These are very rare tubes

This site may come in handy  https://mullard.org/collections/audio-valves-ecc88-6dj8-e88cc-cv2492-cv2493-cca-6922-7308-gold-pinned-twin-triodes/7dj8

• Like 1

Check with the designer. I'm out at the moment, but there are often small differences. As for instance above, E88CC and ECC88 are not the same. Cathode to heater max voltage is different for a start. In most caes they're fine. In some, they aren't.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, uzzy said:

My preamp uses 6DJ8 valves but i have experimented with others - currently have National Panasonic 7DJ8 in and they are sounding great.

When I got the Preamp I did some research on 6DJ8 valves and alternatives and this is what I found 

·       6DJ8 / ECC88 is the "standard grade" of this family.  They normally have steel pins.

·       6922 / E88CC is a "premium grade" version of the 6DJ8.  Most have gold plated pins, but many Sylvania manufactured 6922's have steel pins (a few Sylvania's are gold pin). 

·       7308 / E188CC is generally the highest quality tube in the 6DJ8/ECC88 family.  Most have gold pins.  Sylvania's are steel pin.  They are designed with low microphonics and low noise.  Sections are usually pretty closely matched.

·       7DJ8 / PCC88  These are 7 volt filaments which were designed to be used in series string circuits.  However, they work well in standard 6DJ8 circuits and can generally be used as direct substitutes.  You can save some some money using these.

·       CCa  This is a special version of the 6922 / E88CC which is usually only found as Siemens or Telefunken.  These are very rare tubes

This site may come in handy  https://mullard.org/collections/audio-valves-ecc88-6dj8-e88cc-cv2492-cv2493-cca-6922-7308-gold-pinned-twin-triodes/7dj8

The Russian 6N23P EB particularly pre 1980 Reflector factory or the Voskhod factory is one of the few Russian valves that are an exact match for Western valves in this case   6922 E88CC good sounding valves

Edited by John (big)
phone call
  • Like 1

I spoke to James at AN today and he said send him the serial number and he can correctly identify the valves.

My understanding is that the DAC came with 6DJ8s or 6992 and some people then went mad and added the Cv 2493. The gold pin 6992 are selling at £30 and Cv 2493 from Langrex are currently £75.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, robin said:

Pm’d you AN’s email address Robin.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Thanks guys, l think this is sorted now

13 hours ago, robin said:

Thanks guys, l think this is sorted now

Good, all that is left is to enjoy the music. B|

• Like 1

Super Wammer
13 minutes ago, George 47 said:

Good, all that is left is to enjoy the music. B|

Thanks ,will do

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Have a pair of these in my Audio Innovations Series 500. A big improvement over the previous items! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎