Akubarik passive Solo vs Exakt

LinnJim

Hello

I've got the upgrade itch again....

I'm currently split between a set of katalyst Akubariks or a passive set with Dynamik Solos.

Has anyone done this comparison yet?

I feel that passive with Solos would leave me in less of a dead end, next time I feel the need to upgrade as I remember the eye-watering cost of the last Akubarik Katalyst upgrade compared to that of the DSM.

Thans in advance 

• Like 1

I would agree and personally would go the 'passive' route. It gives you more flexibility but when you would want to go 'active/full exakt' it will be even more eye-watering with exaktboxes and 8 more solos ;-), especially if Organik.

An alternative that i am personally thinking about is going for the Kudos speakers. Besides that fact that they sound really good, i like the fact that they're either 2 or 3-way (2.5 way) so less amps needed, they're easier to drive and Linn has exakt filters for them. So if you would go for the Kudos 707 (perhaps slightly under the Akubariks level, these are 2 ways), you start passive with 2 solos and more easily upgrade in the future to full exakt/active with 2 solos more and 1 exaktbox (either akurate or klimax level). Just a thought. I've heard these speakers with 2 solos and the NGKSH and it was very impressive. I am sure the Akubariks are sounding really great but just a bit turned off on the amplification they need, especially going aktiv.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve been in that boat too and still am. I almost closed a deal on a pair of used solos but it fell apart on my drive going to pick them up. I was planning to use the solos with my now sold 242’s.

After hearing some stories of ongoing fan issues with solos (even new ones) maybe it was a better idea that the deal didn’t happen.

I still have my Adsm/3 and my 4200/1 and was desperately looking for a pair of passive akubariks and there are two available now. Both too high in price I feel and unfortunately not in the US.

Where are you based? And what is the rest of your setup if I may ask? If you are talking about the Exakt katalyst akubariks in canada at the moment I might have some useful Info for you

I thought about the kudos too as there’s a pair for sale in NC but still pricey. I haven’t heard kudos and it’s a 10 he drive so haven’t pursued the titan 707’s. I do like the fact that I wouldn’t need that many amps for the kudos. Frans has luckily heard them.

I can say that I never liked my 242’s in passive but only realized that that was due to the weaker source (mdsm/1) they sounded much much better with just an Adsm/3 and my 4200/1. Less clinical in passiv which I preferred.

I’m working on getting a new setup but nothing is final till it’s actual in our apt.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Tukans (Silvers/K400)

50 minutes ago, zee9 said:

I’ve been in that boat too and still am. I almost closed a deal on a pair of used solos but it fell apart on my drive going to pick them up. I was planning to use the solos with my now sold 242’s.

After hearing some stories of ongoing fan issues with solos (even new ones) maybe it was a better idea that the deal didn’t happen.

I still have my Adsm/3 and my 4200/1 and was desperately looking for a pair of passive akubariks and there are two available now. Both too high in price I feel and unfortunately not in the US.

Where are you based? And what is the rest of your setup if I may ask? If you are talking about the Exakt katalyst akubariks in canada at the moment I might have some useful Info for you

I thought about the kudos too as there’s a pair for sale in NC but still pricey. I haven’t heard kudos and it’s a 10 he drive so haven’t pursued the titan 707’s. I do like the fact that I wouldn’t need that many amps for the kudos. Frans has luckily heard them.

I can say that I never liked my 242’s in passive but only realized that that was due to the weaker source (mdsm/1) they sounded much much better with just an Adsm/3 and my 4200/1. Less clinical in passiv which I preferred.

I’m working on getting a new setup but nothing is final till it’s actual in our apt.

I hadn't heard about the fan issue on Solos... sounds expensive!

I'm based in the U.K but often wish I was in Canada. 

It's a tricky decision to make really.

Currently I have 212s and an ADSM/2 so I'm having to calculate the price of the kat upgrade in too.

Although I think I'll see what happens with Organik before I make any decision there.

2 hours ago, frans5508 said:

I would agree and personally would go the 'passive' route. It gives you more flexibility but when you would want to go 'active/full exakt' it will be even more eye-watering with exaktboxes and 8 more solos ;-), especially if Organik.

An alternative that i am personally thinking about is going for the Kudos speakers. Besides that fact that they sound really good, i like the fact that they're either 2 or 3-way (2.5 way) so less amps needed, they're easier to drive and Linn has exakt filters for them. So if you would go for the Kudos 707 (perhaps slightly under the Akubariks level, these are 2 ways), you start passive with 2 solos and more easily upgrade in the future to full exakt/active with 2 solos more and 1 exaktbox (either akurate or klimax level). Just a thought. I've heard these speakers with 2 solos and the NGKSH and it was very impressive. I am sure the Akubariks are sounding really great but just a bit turned off on the amplification they need, especially going aktiv.

I'm affraid the 707s don't get approval from her.

I'd love to listen to them but I must agree with her that they aren't as  aesthetically pleasing as Akubariks

1 hour ago, LinnJim said:

Currently I have 212s and an ADSM/2 so I'm having to calculate the price of the kat upgrade in too.

Although I think I'll see what happens with Organik before I make any decision there.

I would really like to hear the Akubarik passive fed by a pair of Solos.

A recent thread on the Solo fan issue can be found here:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/154813-linn-solo-concern/

Katalyst is well worth the money. Not sure if Organik will trickle down to Akurate though.

• Like 1

@jail4ceos has the same speakers. He added a majik exaktbox-I and a majik 126 sub. I personally prefer Exakt with Kat but he seems to be very satisfied NOW with the 212’s so I’d suggest to speak to him.

The akurate exaktbox-I used with a sub might be what makes you happy. Keep your Adsm/1 as source. You would need an exaktbox sub as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zee9 said:

@jail4ceos has the same speakers. He added a majik exaktbox-I and a majik 126 sub. I personally prefer Exakt with Kat but he seems to be very satisfied NOW with the 212’s so I’d suggest to speak to him.

The akurate exaktbox-I used with a sub might be what makes you happy. Keep your Adsm/1 as source. You would need an exaktbox sub as well

That was my plan but my Mrs is concerned about bookshelf speakers around our (soon to be) toddler.

4 hours ago, LinnJim said:

Hello

I've got the upgrade itch again....

I'm currently split between a set of katalyst Akubariks or a passive set with Dynamik Solos.

Has anyone done this comparison yet?

I feel that passive with Solos would leave me in less of a dead end, next time I feel the need to upgrade as I remember the eye-watering cost of the last Akubarik Katalyst upgrade compared to that of the DSM.

Thans in advance 

I went from Exakt. Doriks, Exaktbox I, Exaktbox sub and a JLsub. Now I can do whatever I want in hifi :) the Exakt put me in a corner, I would say that a pair of solos can get you further. Now I have Selekt with katalyst and a Lavardin iSX ref thats sound great with my Harbeth 30.1. its easy  to change way whenever you will. 

• Like 2

I switched from a ADSM Katalyst with 4200 to Klimax DSM and to solos keeping the 242s. I have never felt the 242s have been the weak link. I would expect the Akudoriks would outshine them but the 242s are no slouch.  

I have an Akudorik setup too in another room and upgraded to Katalyst but doesn’t compare to the 242 setup. Never has. I think the small speakers are the constraint for me.

ADSM to Klimax was a massive leap in sound quality. Solos also a big big leap. I don’t think I would have felt the same may if the speakers had been the Akudoriks

Solo fans come on in my room at 90-100 dbs and I found them a bit noisy. It depends on how you play your system. I opted for something else

Edited by AlbertF
Update

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, CaptenBonScott said:

I went from Exakt. Doriks, Exaktbox I, Exaktbox sub and a JLsub. Now I can do whatever I want in hifi :) the Exakt put me in a corner, I would say that a pair of solos can get you further. Now I have Selekt with katalyst and a Lavardin iSX ref thats sound great with my Harbeth 30.1. its easy  to change way whenever you will. 

You can use pretty much any amplifier with Exakt, and pretty much any speaker too, if you ask :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LinnJim said:

I'm affraid the 707s don't get approval from her.

I'd love to listen to them but I must agree with her that they aren't as  aesthetically pleasing as Akubariks

I wouldn't dare to argue with her! If the aesthetics is a big factor, maybe you can get her approval for the Kudos 808 (these look very cool in my opinion) 🙂.

Edited by frans5508

47 minutes ago, frans5508 said:

I wouldn't dare to argue with her! If the aesthetics is a big factor, maybe you can get her approval for the Kudos 808 (these look very cool in my opinion) 🙂.

Yeah the 808s are beautiful but if I include a set of solos then way out of budget unfortunately. 

Thanks for the Solo fan link, working my way through it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

You can use pretty much any amplifier with Exakt, and pretty much any speaker too, if you ask :)

Yupp, but not in a easy way. 

First of all, I would like to anticipate my answer that I have no fundamental experience with Exakt systems. The few things I’ve heard in the demonstrations didn’t really convince me, which doesn’t mean it has to be worse in some way.

I know the A242 but decided on a system consisting of a pair of A212 and two A221, which I enjoyed more. The only time I heard the A242 really convincing was with a pair of Klimax-Solos.

I want to argue with you a little bit that if you own the Solos, you’ll have more freedom. If you operate your speakers with Solos, you’re in a dead end that you can’t get out of. A dead end that you will enjoy, however, what do you want to put on it? Klimax-Solos have addictive potential.

Currently I operate my speakers with 4 Solos in bi-amped and quadro-wired. The only thing that bothers me is the number of boxes, which of course dominate the overall appearance. Exakt with internal amplifiers there simply has a certain charm. But it is certainly not cheaper. For years I can bear to have done nothing in the field of amplifiers. My recommendation, however, is absolutely to take those with dynamic power supply.

A forum member owns a Komri also with 4 solos I can’t imagine that he would feel uncomfortable in his dead end.

• Like 2