Advise on improving my digital source

mtbmarkymark

Remember that the Auralic Aries has parametric EQ, so you could always swap the Weiss in the future if you fancied something from Chord, DCS, Lampizator or Aqua, which appear to be the current titans of high end DACs right now.

Edited by Psilonaught

6 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Based on my own streamer experience I 100% agree that the streamer makes a huge difference. 

There seems to be a lack of consensus about whether the Auralic Aries G2/2.1, U1 or DCS bridge is the best, based on various forum posts I have read.

I went for the G2 and it gave me a huge upgrade across the sonic spectrum.

I can add to that, having tried a dcs Bridge against my Auralic Aries G1. The Auralic was the clear winner for me, plus it is much more flexible and featured than the dCs. Additionally, the dCs is a modified commercial OEM streaming board; the in house Tesla G2 board in the Aries is one of, if not the, best out there. I think dcs dropped the ball with the Bridge; now discontinued I notice.

Some might be interested in a other comparison I made; Aries G1 plus Innuos Phoenix Net vs Aries G2.1. Former came out easily on top. Mind you the Phoenix plus G2.1 was superb, but too spendy (I was investigating where £2k or so would give optimum results, as I could add the Phoenix or upgrade to a 2.1 for around that sum)

21 hours ago, mtbmarkymark said:

My all digital system has three digital sources.

1)    CD via an Audiolab 6000CDT

2)    Hard Disk from a Melco N100 c/w Plixir LPSU

3)    Streaming from Qobuz via the Melco

The sources feed into a Weiss DAC 501 then a P.S Audio BHK Preamp and finally into the ATC Active 50's

All sources are of a broadly similar standard with CD rips from the Melco being perhaps the best quality source out of the three.

So my question is what would the WAM suggest i audition that will be a noticeable improvement. Budget £5000, but may stretch for an end game solution

You could try one of these:

https://whestaudio.co.uk/product/mastering-buffer-model-bii/

With digital, is there such a thing as an 'end game' piece of equipment? The latest thing today is old hat next year.

I think your Weiss dac has only one of each type of input, so try changing the sources around, because some sources are better with some interconnects.

A previous post mentioned Wave cables. A friend demo'd to me the difference between that and another good quality cable, and the improvement with the Wave was very easily heard.

Try a Mutec MC3+USB which might improve some of your sources. Extra cables needed, but the Mutec could easily be moved on if it does not work.

1 hour ago, simon g said:

I can add to that, having tried a dcs Bridge against my Auralic Aries G1. The Auralic was the clear winner for me, plus it is much more flexible and featured than the dCs. Additionally, the dCs is a modified commercial OEM streaming board; the in house Tesla G2 board in the Aries is one of, if not the, best out there. I think dcs dropped the ball with the Bridge; now discontinued I notice.

Some might be interested in a other comparison I made; Aries G1 plus Innuos Phoenix Net vs Aries G2.1. Former came out easily on top. Mind you the Phoenix plus G2.1 was superb, but too spendy (I was investigating where £2k or so would give optimum results, as I could add the Phoenix or upgrade to a 2.1 for around that sum)

Very interesting post - the DCS has an excellent reputation and I was quite keen to try one - I had assumed it would represent a significant step up from the G1 - I wasn't initially persuaded by the latter until I carried out the power supply mod - I also run mine with a reclocking device (Uptone IsoRegen/LPS 1.2) which muddies the waters still further - I think I can feel reassured that I should probably leave well alone :cool: - at least until some new technology renders the whole lot obsolete... 

To the OP: should you consider trying one of the Auralic machines, an underappreciated bonus is the ability to connect a decent quality CD drive to one of the USB ports (I use an Asus external drive with Fidelity Audio LPS) - quality of CD playback is pretty astonishing - I believe that you can also rip directly to your NAS/server, though I have yet to try this

The Lumin U1 is potentially better than the G2 but I've not directly compared them and the U1 is crazy expensive

10 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

There seems to be a lack of consensus about whether the Auralic Aries G2/2.1, U1 or DCS bridge is the best, based on various forum posts I have read.

The Aries G2.1 is certainly one that catches the eye. 

9 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Remember that the Auralic Aries has parametric EQ, so you could always swap the Weiss in the future

This option adds to it's attraction in the longer term.  

1 hour ago, MotherSky said:

an underappreciated bonus is the ability to connect a decent quality CD drive to one of the USB ports

as does this, I believe you can fit a hard disk and thus it could potentially replace the Melco

My initial take is that the Aries is a exceptional streamer with the ability to add a hard disk whereas the Melco is optimized for it's hard disk reproduction and has a servicable streamer built in.

@Blzebub The Whest is not something i'm familiar with.....i will investigate

3 hours ago, simon g said:

Aries G1 plus Innuos Phoenix Net vs Aries G2.1. Former came out easily on top. Mind you the Phoenix plus G2.1 was superb

food for thought indeed. I'll research the Phoenix Net 

Although you can fit a drive into the Aries apparently Roon won't see it, I much prefer Roon to the Lightening DS app

22 hours ago, simon g said:

Some possibilities:

As above, improve your streamer. That only i proves streaming and file play back.

Your 501 is a very nice bit of kit. For a no cost possible improvement try using the inbuilt upnp streaming functionaility of the Weiss, rather than the Melco.

If the above are your only sources, then try a dCs Bartok in place of Weiss and BHK, i.e direct out of Bartok in to ATCs. With the funds from your Weiss, Pre & £5k you may even be abke to contemplate a dCs Rossini.

Upgrade your Cd Transport; a Moon 260DT for example.

Another vote for DCS.  I've got a Bartok on order, it's been the biggest upgrade in SQ since buying my Electrocompaniet EMC1UP over 10 years ago.

Mac

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whitehart said:

Another vote for DCS.  I've got a Bartok on order, it's been the biggest upgrade in SQ since buying my Electrocompaniet EMC1UP over 10 years ago.

Mac

Nice.

Taking into account the streamer, makes them very good value.

I'm counting down the weeks until I get my April bonus and I can get a big boys dac! Dave/m scaler, Lampizator and Bartok are on my demo list 

• Like 2

The only problem for me with any solution that replaces the Weiss is the lack of EQ.  Without EQ the bass boom significantly degrades the sound and not just at low frequencies but right up to the vocal range. I tried the EQ in Roon but it was not as powerfull as that in the Weiss. 

31 minutes ago, mtbmarkymark said:

The only problem for me with any solution that replaces the Weiss is the lack of EQ.  Without EQ the bass boom significantly degrades the sound and not just at low frequencies but right up to the vocal range. I tried the EQ in Roon but it was not as powerfull as that in the Weiss. 

As I said, the Auralic will do that. In my active system I use a digital crossover and apply a "modest" amount of EQ.

If you are experiencing that much boom it sounds like your speakers are either too close to a wall and/or too big for your room? 

Any photos of your room/speakers?

I’m not sure what you are missing?

the advice to get professional consultation on the room seems a good idea. If you think that something sounds”wrong” I cannot see that being cured by a different source.

but maybe I am not grasping what you are saying?

I also have a Melco and a Marantz KI Ruby SACD player.  The biggest upgrade I made to digital sound was the purchase of a Tellurium Silver lead - Melco to SACD.