Jump to content

Advise on improving my digital source


mtbmarkymark
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Psilonaught said:

As I said, the Auralic will do that

Just read all the available reviews of the Aries 2.1 and the user manual. No mention of EQ anywhere, am i missing something ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% it does with latest firmware, see my screenshot from the lightening app.

I believe you can add 10 bands which is plenty.

Screenshot_2021-11-15-21-57-29-474_com.android.chrome_resize_61.jpg

Screenshot_2021-11-15-22-10-50-006_com.android.chrome_resize_28.jpg

Edited by Psilonaught
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Psilonaught said:

100% it does with latest firmware, see my screenshot from the lightening app.

fantastic, thanks for going to the trouble of showing me this. One review did mention the manual was inadequate and didn't mention all the functions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Read a few more reviews of the Aries G2.1 at lunchtime, a couple seemed to suggest that the best sound quality was achieved by using a hard disk server such as an innuos or Melco as the source of the files played via the Aries G2.1.

I naively assumed that installing a Hard disk inside the Aries would be better.

Does anybody have any relevant experience ?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you invested any time and energy in isolating your CD player from the surface upon which it sits...? 

I know it might sound like I'm suggesting "voodoo" - But I placed some sorbothane 'blobs' underneath my CD Player (Following the strong recommendation from a fellow audio freak) and I couldn't believe the difference it made. Literally cost a few pounds.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mtbmarkymark said:

Does anybody have any relevant experience ?

I have used Auralic devices for a while now, and whilst I have never tried the likes of Melco etc, I have definitely found better results using a decent quality NAS and streaming files over the network than when I tried directly connecting an SSD - this also seems to be what Auralic themselves recommend as the optimal approach - I'm guessing that the file retrieval process potentially generates "noise" that is best kept well away from the streamer itself (?) - as the setup is optimised for wireless connection, it does seem to make sense, and all the fugly IT equipment can be stashed away elsewhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Bokke

I will try and flesh this out to help me understand what i meant to try and ask

I have ripped my CD's onto a Melco N100 hard disk server. The Melco also allows me to stream from Qobuz 

If i were sell the Melco and buy a Aries 2.1 and fit a internal Hard disk, i again would have two similar options

Stream from Qobuz or Play the CD rips that i have transferred onto the Hard disk inside the Aries 2.1

However the reviews of the Aries G2/G2.1 often say that the best sound quality results were obtained when the Aries 2.1 was served it's CD rips from a Melco ( or similar ) Hard disk server

This means i think

Streaming from Qobuz using the G2.1 is inferior to "playing" a CD rip from a Hard disc server such as the Melco

( This has also been my experience and is perhaps not surprising as the "CD Rip" is sitting on a Hard disk in a different country and then comes over the internet, via my Modem, Router, Switch all powered by switch mode power supplies and numerous ethernet cables before reaching the Melco )

What i hoped would be that playing a CD rip from a hard disk inside the G2.1 was better than getting it from an external source. None of the reviews of the G2/2.1 answer this question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

I have definitely found better results using a decent quality NAS and streaming files over the network than when I tried directly connecting an SSD

Thanks for this.... It is starting to make a bit more sense. I have never had a NAS but i guess, at it's most basic the Melco is just a NAS made to look nice enough to sit on a hifi rack

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, mtbmarkymark said:

@Bokke

I will try and flesh this out to help me understand what i meant to try and ask

I have ripped my CD's onto a Melco N100 hard disk server. The Melco also allows me to stream from Qobuz 

If i were sell the Melco and buy a Aries 2.1 and fit a internal Hard disk, i again would have two similar options

Stream from Qobuz or Play the CD rips that i have transferred onto the Hard disk inside the Aries 2.1

However the reviews of the Aries G2/G2.1 often say that the best sound quality results were obtained when the Aries 2.1 was served it's CD rips from a Melco ( or similar ) Hard disk server

This means i think

Streaming from Qobuz using the G2.1 is inferior to "playing" a CD rip from a Hard disc server such as the Melco

( This has also been my experience and is perhaps not surprising as the "CD Rip" is sitting on a Hard disk in a different country and then comes over the internet, via my Modem, Router, Switch all powered by switch mode power supplies and numerous ethernet cables before reaching the Melco )

What i hoped would be that playing a CD rip from a hard disk inside the G2.1 was better than getting it from an external source. None of the reviews of the G2/2.1 answer this question

if you believe the reviews then Id stick with the melco in the first instance and save money 

check out the internal images of these so called 'high end' streamers and take a look at the cheap chinese boards they use with the processor stuck on - cheap as chips buy in bulk multi saving they use.

just google - ignore the fancy casing bling and marketing - if you have money to blow or spare then fair enough but if you are expecting large improvements Id be more careful

Edited by Bokke
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Scarlet Pimpernel Yes, and to good effect in the past. I used both Finite Elemente Cerapucs and Sorbathane hemispheres under various CD players. I haven't tried either under the Audiolab. I will have a try.   

Edited by mtbmarkymark
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bokke said:

if you believe the reviews then Id stick with the melco in the first instance

I'd love to see a review that compared playing a CD rip from the Melco directly into a DAC vs the same CD Rip played on the Melco into the Aries G2.1 and then into the DAC

The Qobuz experience would undoubtably be better on the Aries due to the superior App but i am not bothered as i am chasing better overall sound quality here and don't care where it comes from. I use Qobuz to discover new music. I i like it enough i will often buy it on CD and rip it to the Melco to get the benefit of the better sound quality

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mtbmarkymark said:

I'd love to see a review that compared playing a CD rip from the Melco directly into a DAC vs the same CD Rip played on the Melco into the Aries G2.1 and then into the DAC

The Qobuz experience would undoubtably be better on the Aries due to the superior App but i am not bothered as i am chasing better overall sound quality here and don't care where it comes from. I use Qobuz to discover new music. I i like it enough i will often buy it on CD and rip it to the Melco to get the benefit of the better sound quality

that's what I do - I don't use streaming I just buy rip

Right now I'm using my laptop as streamer into Mdac and I cannot fault it at all. That's what I use when at work.

If you check out my pc server build in Computer audio section you will see I'm building a so called high end music pc 

but Im saving loads but Ill tell you the difference between that and the laptop is not great. even a good rasberry Pi with good power supply can sound great.

The software options with a pc makes most of the streamer apps look silly and functionality is very important imo 

Edited by Bokke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/11/2021 at 15:05, simon g said:

Some might be interested in a other comparison I made; Aries G1 plus Innuos Phoenix Net vs Aries G2.1. Former came out easily on top. Mind you the Phoenix plus G2.1 was superb

Am i right in thinking the "source" for these comparisions was a streaming service such as Qobuz / Tidal fed via Roon ?     

Have you any CD Rips on a NAS ?

If so do the rips on the NAS sound better / worse  than the same mastering played from the streaming service ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bokke said:

If you check out my pc server build in Computer audio section you will see I'm building a so called high end music pc 

yes i read it with interest a few weeks ago. I'm not as computer literate as you are but i could follow the gist. I guess your finished "high end music pc" will incorporate a streaming function and a Hard disk storage function ( like my Melco ) but perhaps superior sound for less money 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mtbmarkymark said:

yes i read it with interest a few weeks ago. I'm not as computer literate as you are but i could follow the gist. I guess your finished "high end music pc" will incorporate a streaming function and a Hard disk storage function ( like my Melco ) but perhaps superior sound for less money 

but my point was to highlight the cheap crappy chinese mass market boards and processor they use in these high end music streamers costing thousands 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...