Pre wanted. 2.5-3k (SORTED)

tackleberry

I’m struggling to make my mind up on a pre for the ATC scm100a I’m hoping to pick up this week. I don’t really want valves as I don’t like the thought of changing them as they degrade, I’d like some advice/ feedback on valve life in pre’s.

I’ve had recommendations for different pre’s on the wam which go against others. I don’t really want to cock it up, I would like to make an informed decision if I can! I like the idea of MFA but would need a remote I’ve got a maximum of 3k, which may not be enough...

Edited by tackleberry

Super Wammer

not quite as good as c-03 but the pre 3 vbs [ about 950 s/h] with a coherant qp1 psu [ 895] rom tony is likely to be very close . it has a remote better than arc or many other brands . its at least as good as a mfa classic v2 in standard form with a vbs1 . but much better psu such as sean jacobs dc3 [1295 i think] lift it to a whole new level. would think it might just give a baby ref a run for the money perhaps .    easily available set up for 2k to 2,5k . utterly bombproof reliability . one of mine is one of the earliest and never missed a beat . 

we played around with an allegri plus at the week end comparing the two as they are very popular . yes brilliant pre but no xlr inputs or outputs . no remote either . and not so many steps on attenuator 

If i upgraded from this set up i would probably get a c-o3 esoteric but never compared the two . however i have used arc ref 5, arc ref 5se, 6 mfa , 3 tead vibes , and umpteen other pre amps including 36.5dm 

As you may know obscure works for a good hifi dealership and they have an edge preamp for sale at 3,5k they get a great press and are totally transparent and the pre power combo are mega bucks , he might be able to get you a listen ?

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Due to downgrade I will be selling my 2 box Audio Music RT-2 preamp. Weights 40kg, and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, tackleberry said:

I’m struggling to make my mind up on a pre for the ATC scm100a I’m hoping to pick up this week. I don’t really want valves as I don’t like the thought of changing them as they degrade, I’d like some advice/ feedback on valve life in pre’s.

I’ve had recommendations for different pre’s on the wam which go against others. I don’t really want to cock it up, I would like to make an informed decision if I can! I like the idea of MFA but would need a remote I’ve got a maximum of 3k, which may not be enough...

If you are considering passive pre amps, then you may want to look at the Hattor Audio pre's, their top of the range, will come in well under budget. They also do one with an op amp buffer which can be switched in and out.

I use a Khozmo pre, in my active set-up and it is superb.

Talk to David Coe  AD Audio  (Jauncho on here)

He offers a range of Pre amps, The Satchmo.

I have heard the AD Audio Satchmo in some very distinguished company (from  EAR and Airtight) and they really have held their own.

He has demo versions out there so not a gamble at all and will build to  flexible option spec.

It will easily see off most if not all commercially bought under £5k imho

Super Wammer
31 minutes ago, tnorvaisas said:

Due to downgrade I will be selling my 2 box Audio Music RT-2 preamp. Weights 40kg, and sounds absolutely fantastic.

great suggestion but i think they have valves which the op is not keen on 

Super Wammer
20 minutes ago, westlower44 said:

Talk to David Coe  AD Audio  (Jauncho on here)

He offers a range of Pre amps, The Satchmo.

I have heard the AD Audio Satchmo in some very distinguished company (from  EAR and Airtight) and they really have held their own.

He has demo versions out there so not a gamble at all and will build to  flexible option spec.

It will easily see off most if not all commercially bought under £5k imho

yes 2 of my friends have bought these in recent months and very happy  however they are valve amps !!! 

Edited by hifinutt

Super Wammer

yes valve amps certainly bring their challenges . i stick to SS nearly all the time now except with dacs 

47 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

great suggestion but i think they have valves which the op is not keen on 

Tried 6 or 7 different preamps (£2-4k used) in my system over last 2 years and this one came out on top. Superb machine, has two pairs of valves, but I wouldn't worry much about that.

12 minutes ago, hifinutt said:

yes valve amps certainly bring their challenges . i stick to SS nearly all the time now except with dacs 

But are not DACs with valves similar to preamps? I agree valves amps are different beasts. 

How long do valves last in your Jolida?

• tackleberry changed the title to Pre wanted. 2.5-3k (SORTED)