From your listening chair...

garn63

6 hours ago, DomT said:

What a seriously great system and one that I aspired to previously.  I used to have the Raven with a Phantom and it worked well together.  I always used the motor unit on the other side of the deck though. Not sure if it makes any sonic difference though. 

Thanks Dom. My motor unit also sat on the left side for 3 years until the AN turntable arrived earlier this year. Domestic harmony said the the Nik naks had to stay on the unit, hence the move around. I was a bit reluctant but tbh fortunately I cannot hear any difference, although the AN is playing most at the moment.

Eventually one of them will have to go ! Ideally I’d like to try the AN Arm/IQ3 combo on the Raven before making any decisions. Granted the Raven 10.5 should be the perfect match, but it’s an itch I need to scratch !

Cheers, Steve

8 minutes ago, radiant red said:

One of the negatives in this line of hobby 😂

Tru dat👍

Edited by Madvinyljunkie II

17 minutes ago, Madvinyljunkie II said:

Tru dat👍

I’m sorted for that tho 👍🏻

5F60B384-E200-4F47-8419-BBC1DEB91B61.jpeg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, radiant red said:

I’m sorted for that tho 👍🏻

5F60B384-E200-4F47-8419-BBC1DEB91B61.jpeg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

59 minutes ago, Buffalo said:

Thanks Dom. My motor unit also sat on the left side for 3 years until the AN turntable arrived earlier this year. Domestic harmony said the the Nik naks had to stay on the unit, hence the move around. I was a bit reluctant but tbh fortunately I cannot hear any difference, although the AN is playing most at the moment.

Eventually one of them will have to go ! Ideally I’d like to try the AN Arm/IQ3 combo on the Raven before making any decisions. Granted the Raven 10.5 should be the perfect match, but it’s an itch I need to scratch !

Cheers, Steve

Steve as you are deciding between them I may as well say a few words. I bought my Raven to replace a heavily customised Lenco with an AN Arm 2/2. The Raven had less bass grunt but more detail. The Raven lasted 18 months. After another year I tried again to find a new t/t and bought a Luxman PD171 and put the AN Arm 2/2 on it. It’s much better to my ears than the Raven but not suggesting that you consider a Luxman.

I just wonder if you are playing the AN more, even with a huge price differential, because maybe the AN does ‘music’ and the Raven is more ‘HiFi’? The Raven/Phantom is really great, seriously,  but I am trying to be very black and white. I am wondering if the AN 2/2 is just a bit special and is making a lot of the difference? I certainly think that it sounds great on your AN t/t and it’s does on my decks. 

2 hours ago, radiant red said:

This topic is slowing down! Come on guys/Gals, show us your listening space from the chair. Don’t be shy for all those that haven’t yet 😊

Still tweaking my new space and to put the Gyro on the wall 

7C368C66-156D-475F-BE62-22D11BFB968F.jpeg

Jon, whenever I see that lava lamp I know it’s your system😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, DomT said:

Steve as you are deciding between them I may as well say a few words. I bought my Raven to replace a heavily customised Lenco with an AN Arm 2/2. The Raven had less bass grunt but more detail. The Raven lasted 18 months. After another year I tried again to find a new t/t and bought a Luxman PD171 and put the AN Arm 2/2 on it. It’s much better to my ears than the Raven but not suggesting that you consider a Luxman.

I just wonder if you are playing the AN more, even with a huge price differential, because maybe the AN does ‘music’ and the Raven is more ‘HiFi’? The Raven/Phantom is really great, seriously,  but I am trying to be very black and white. I am wondering if the AN 2/2 is just a bit special and is making a lot of the difference? I certainly think that it sounds great on your AN t/t and it’s does on my decks. 

Comments welcomed Dom ! I can completely relate to everything you’ve said, and you’re probably right !

AN is being used more primarily because it’s not been here long, and synergy is obvious and just what I hoped it would be - quick, fleshed out and addictive. 
But Raven still does certain things i like better. Deep soundstage, solidity and a calmness at times. I think what I'm maybe hearing is the difference in turntable approach between low mass sprung loaded and high mass ? My TT before Raven was a Spacedeck with Heavy Kit so the TT2 is definitely new territory.

But I fancied trying the arm swap to test my theory !

Cheers.

Edited by Buffalo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Iceman 16 said:

Jon, whenever I see that lava lamp I know it’s your system😀

Got to be done bud 👍🏻 

• Like 1

Due to my near field listening setup ( room is only 11.5 x 15 feet ), I could only take a clear side shot of my front view. The panorama I tried didn't come out very well. Sorry :)

I just redid the entire room myself, with acoustic treatment. The results have been nothing short of stunning. My main speakers are not in the pic, as iam presently working on them, and they are DIY.

I've recently heard the avalon indra speakers, and only yesterday had a listen to the B&W 801 D3. The avalon were in a wrongly treated room. And the B&W were in a sparsely treated room. My system always sounded just about okay to me. But after treating the room, my system sounds superior to both the above mentioned setups. And my DIY speakers only cost a fraction of the other 2 speakers. I know this is a very tall claim, considering the contending speakers in question. But I wanted to share that the room has a greater impact on what we hear, than the kit themselves.

My phone recently crashed with all my pics of the room prior treatment. I badly wanted to share that too. But can't now. So below is the present pic :)

1637956105647.thumb.jpg.21e463eb7dbdf9264fcc0d4b2aaa17db.jpg1637956105454.thumb.jpg.851fa302b14eed35c4a43fd0e75c7531.jpg

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Due to my near field listening setup ( room is only 11.5 x 15 feet ), I could only take a clear side shot of my front view. The panorama I tried didn't come out very well. Sorry :)

I just redid the entire room myself, with acoustic treatment. The results have been nothing short of stunning. My main speakers are not in the pic, as iam presently working on them, and they are DIY.

I've recently heard the avalon indra speakers, and only yesterday had a listen to the B&W 801 D3. The avalon were in a wrongly treated room. And the B&W were in a sparsely treated room. My system always sounded just about okay to me. But after treating the room, my system sounds superior to both the above mentioned setups. And my DIY speakers only cost a fraction of the other 2 speakers. I know this is a very tall claim, considering the contending speakers in question. But I wanted to share that the room has a greater impact on what we hear, than the kit themselves.

My phone recently crashed with all my pics of the room prior treatment. I badly wanted to share that too. But can't now. So below is the present pic :)

1637956105647.thumb.jpg.21e463eb7dbdf9264fcc0d4b2aaa17db.jpg1637956105454.thumb.jpg.851fa302b14eed35c4a43fd0e75c7531.jpg

Looks fabulous and liking the new colour scheme. You always seem to have the most fast moving developments in kit and room, I bet a number of us can see parts that have been influenced from responses you have received to posts on here. Really pleased it is all sounding so good, well deserved for all the effort and open engagement you put into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo said:

Comments welcomed Dom ! I can completely relate to everything you’ve said, and you’re probably right !

AN is being used more primarily because it’s not been here long, and synergy is obvious and just what I hoped it would be - quick, fleshed out and addictive. 
But Raven still does certain things i like better. Deep soundstage, solidity and a calmness at times. I think what I'm maybe hearing is the difference in turntable approach between low mass sprung loaded and high mass ? My TT before Raven was a Spacedeck with Heavy Kit so the TT2 is definitely new territory.

But I fancied trying the arm swap to test my theory !

Cheers.

Interesting use of words. It was the Raven’s calmness that bothered me. I like a bit of life in the music. Happy listening. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Looks great. I can imagine the difference that you made to the room. The famous Phil Collins drum sound on In The Air Tonight was achieved in a concrete room. Happy listening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Looks fabulous and liking the new colour scheme. You always seem to have the most fast moving developments in kit and room, I bet a number of us can see parts that have been influenced from responses you have received to posts on here. Really pleased it is all sounding so good, well deserved for all the effort and open engagement you put into it.

Thanks a ton for your kind words sir :)

I've bought most of the stuff in the system from our good forum members, during my trips to the UK :). So it is all used. I could never afford any of it new :D

I think I've spent more than I should, to be honest. But I will really slow down now, as I've heard much more expensive systems than mine, for the first time. And despite what the gushing reviews would have me belive. Iam now of the opinion that the delta is too small to warrant a big investment again. I might buy something for convinience alone now. But the upgrade urge is all gone and dead for now luckily  :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DomT said:

Interesting use of words. It was the Raven’s calmness that bothered me. I like a bit of life in the music. Happy listening. 

That’s not the first time I’ve heard that about the TWs Dom.

Cheers, Steve