New Tidal subscriptions announced

Lawrence001

if you were to subscribe to Tidal from an Argentinian ip address it would cost about £1.10 a month. 

1 hour ago, jcr71 said:

if you were to subscribe to Tidal from an Argentinian ip address it would cost about £1.10 a month. 

I'm sure the artists would be delighted...

Every little helps...

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

I'm sure the artists would be delighted...

yeah it must be hard for them on the breadline.

1 hour ago, jcr71 said:

yeah it must be hard for them on the breadline.

Many are genuinely struggling to make a living, and won't keep making the music we enjoy if they can't earn more.

The UK parliament select committee hearings relating to this were quite eye-opening actually but sadly the videos of this no longer seem to be available.

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

Many are genuinely struggling to make a living, and won't keep making the music we enjoy if they can't earn more.

The UK parliament select committee hearings relating to this were quite eye-opening actually but sadly the videos of this no longer seem to be available.

ive had jobs that dont pay enough too. the secret is to move on and find something that does. 

On 18/11/2021 at 13:02, George 47 said:

Tempting and will Qobuz respond?

Qobuz are introducing "Connect" soon which will make it even more attractive .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jcr71 said:

ive had jobs that dont pay enough too. the secret is to move on and find something that does. 

The difference is that I don't care what you do for a living but I do want musicians I like to keep producing music. As I'd suggest you do for the artists you like too.

We're talking about the vast majority of artists here, not just an unpopular minority that you may say you wouldn't miss. I'd encourage you to look into this more as it really is a genuine issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MartinC said:

But is this because the record companies are not passing the money onto the artists? This is probably due to the contracts not being set up for streaming but based on sales. I did read that music revenues were up despite falling physical sales. The streaming companies as far as I know don’t make any profits yet. If you buy new music you can check on band amp see if it’s on there, I have bought a few, more money goes to the artist then. 

I prefer the unpopular artists rather than mainstream, some don’t even have record contracts, sad so much rubbish yet some decent talent gets no promotion or contracts. 

Edited by StingRay

6 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But is this because the record companies are not passing the money onto the artists? This is probably due to the contracts not being set up for streaming but based on sales. I did read that music revenues were up despite falling physical sales. The streaming companies as far as I know don’t make any profits yet. 

Whatever the split, more money paid results in more money for artists, and this doesn't excuse someone choosing to pay just £1.10 per month to (illegally) stream Tidal.

31 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Whatever the split, more money paid results in more money for artists, and this doesn't excuse someone choosing to pay just £1.10 per month to (illegally) stream Tidal.

Yes I agree thats not a good way to do it. But then most streamers are using the free level. Some artists treat streaming and sites like YouTube as free advertising and reaching a wider audience. Some genres have benefitted from streaming, classical is getting more popular with younger people. THere are lots of people buy used cd and LPs, the artist gets nothing from those sales. 
I did look at buying a couple of cds but both were over £70 new, just for ordinary cds, 1 I may buy used as it’s only £3.

A lot of artists I like have died. Struggling to find anything this year I really like. 

22 hours ago, MartinC said:

can you show me where its illegal for me to pay for Tidal using a vpn please.

Just now, jcr71 said:

I honestly can't be bothered to get into the semantics of whether it's strictly illegal, fraudulent or whatever. You know it's not something you should be doing and you are not supporting the music industry by doing so. 

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, jcr71 said:

Lets do the simple thing are you in the country you are asking to supply Tidal ? If not and you are using a VPN to hide were you are based then this is deception and you are getting a product under false pretences. If you need anything additional to this then you are not interested in being at least partly honest which is your choice .

On 20/11/2021 at 19:23, MartinC said:

*Does it though? If an artist gets 1p for each play of their album it makes no odds what amount the VPN-meister pays (unless I've got it wrong).

*Not condoning the VPN-meister's approach here.