Jump to content

New Tidal subscriptions announced


Lawrence001
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thank you for the heads up. 

I am happy with CD quality, so have downgraded to the HiFi tier. I was going to go with Qobuz to make the saving - but this saves me having to export all my favourite  albums saved on Tidal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, myles said:

*Does it though? If an artist gets 1p for each play of their album it makes no odds what amount the VPN-meister pays (unless I've got it wrong).

That isn't how it works though. Listening affects how a total amount of money to artists is split, rather than there being some fixed payment per stream. 

Edit - going by what I remember from the UK parliament select committee hearings.

Edited by MartinC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That isn't how it works though. Listening affects how a total amount of money to artists is split, rather than there being some fixed payment per stream. 

Edit - going by what I remember from the UK parliament select committee hearings.

In which case, the guy paying $1.10 or whatever still doesn't affect the artist. It affects Quboz' profits, granted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, myles said:

In which case, the guy paying $1.10 or whatever still doesn't affect the artist. It affects Quboz' profits, granted. 

No, because this will affect the total pot of money that is split.

Edit - and I'm guessing you meant Tidal?

Edited by MartinC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

No, because this will affect the total pot of money that is split.

Edit - and I'm guessing you meant Tidal?

Yes....I get this now, and yes...I meant tidal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/11/2021 at 17:30, jcr71 said:

can you show me where its illegal for me to pay for Tidal using a vpn please.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/17

Edit: although interestingly Tidal's T&Cs don't - on a very quick squizz - appear to require you to sign up from your home country.  Unusual.  Perhaps it's OK after all, on a technicality.  IANYL (I bit like IANAL but the Y = your).

Edited by jamster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

like i said, its not breaking any laws.

also, i would like to add, i wouldnt pay £10 a month to listen to music when i can listen to it on youtube for free. but i might be willing to pay £1 a month. 

do you think those struggling artists would prefer £1 subscriptions or no subscriptions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Moderator

It is illegal if your method of payment avoids paying tax. In the case of the U.K., VAT. It’s enforceability is the only thing in question. One change in the process as a result of Brexit is vendors abroad now collect on behalf of the Government rather than leave it to Customs. This enables Customs and Excise to go after Companies rather than individuals making enforcement a lot simpler. I expect the loophole will be tightened if not closed completely at some point in the future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jcr71 said:

like i said, its not breaking any laws.

also, i would like to add, i wouldnt pay £10 a month to listen to music when i can listen to it on youtube for free. but i might be willing to pay £1 a month. 

do you think those struggling artists would prefer £1 subscriptions or no subscriptions? 

YouTube does not have nearly the same amount of music available. Sound quality is poor as well. You can stream free on various services such as Spotify, Deezer. £10 gets you better sound quality, cd or higher. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, StingRay said:

YouTube does not have nearly the same amount of music available. Sound quality is poor as well. You can stream free on various services such as Spotify, Deezer. £10 gets you better sound quality, cd or higher. 

im quite happy enough with the quality of free services, not to feel the need to pay £10+ per month for premium.

and ive never run out of music to listen to on youtube.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jcr71 said:

im quite happy enough with the quality of free services, not to feel the need to pay £10+ per month for premium.

and ive never run out of music to listen to on youtube.

I checked quite a few recent albums and most were missing from youtube, there may have been the odd track. I play albums not odd tracks. Not great for Jazz either. Interface is poor, search for an artist and it comes up with loads of other stuff. 

Would be better off getting the free Spotify or Deezer.

Edited by StingRay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It never ceases to amaze me that audiophiles will spend thousands on hardware and then go through multiple email addresses and VPNs to avoid paying £10-20 for all the music on earth.

Edited by Warszawa
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warszawa said:

It never ceases to amaze me that audiophiles will spend thousands on hardware and then go through multiple email addresses and VPNs to avoid paying £10-20 for all the music on earth.

i listen using some fidelio x2 headphones and an ifi zen dac. so i dont really fall into that category. i wish i could afford to though, so feel free to donate any unwanted equipment you have lying around. 😆

a quick heads up someone may find useful... 

Tidal are offering  3 months trial at £1/2 standard/premium per month for new users, until 6th December.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After a trialing Tidal the predominant musical genre and relentless plugging for cRAP it wasn't for me - even if it was a fiver a year I won't bother again.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Strider said:

After a trialing Tidal the predominant musical genre and relentless plugging for cRAP it wasn't for me - even if it was a fiver a year I won't bother again.

Its interesting how user experiences can differ so dramatically. I've used Tidal for  several years now, however I only access via Roon and have been very happy with both services. I've never thought of tidal as having predominant genres and have honestly never noticed any relentless plugging at all so genuinely don't know what you mean and presume it's only present on the Tidal platform.

Certainly when using Tidal on Roon the more you use it the more it knows the genres, artists that you prefer and the more likely you are to see albums linked to those categories.

There will always be some who prefer different platforms for xyz reasons I still purchase cd and vinyl copies of the album's I enjoy the most as I do think think playing the physical media still has some sonic advantages but with the speed of progress in DACs and streaming any fidelity delta between physical and streaming formats won't be long in closing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...