"One" of your Speakers...& why you like them ?

garn63

Royd Sintra II

Small, unassuming black boxes but I've rarely heard a speaker - at any price - that gets the fundamental building blocks of music more right than these. I'll never sell them.

NIK_7868.jpg

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

It's not a question of "emphasising" nor "highlighting" anything. ATCs will give you whatever is upstream, whether good, bad or indifferent. They are not sentient beings and therefore can't decide for themselves whether there's a problem of any kind in the signal.

I ended up having to ditch my LP12 because of ATC. I don't know why you found them "forward", but I'd humbly suggest that your signal was compromised in some way. In some circs, ATCs can be "too good" for the rest of the system.

I've also made a significant upgrade to my DAC today, again because of my ATCs, and boy what a difference. Separate thread to come at some point, once I've got my head around it all.

It's probably semantics but the whole point of a studio monitor is to 'highlight problems' and to produce a mix that translates well (sounds consistently good on a wide range of other speakers).

I agree that ATCs can be perceived as 'too good' for the rest of the system.  The same can be said for any flat monitor or a very transparent amp or DAC; once you 'hear more of the signal' you don't always like what you are hearing and more care needs to be taken in building a system.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

I don't know why you found them "forward", but I'd humbly suggest that your signal was compromised in some way. In some circs, ATCs can be "too good" for the rest of the system.

My system then was about as simple as it could be - Mark Levinson 390S CDP into ATC 50 Active speakers, so amps not to blame and the 390S was about as good as you could get.  I was then listening to CDs only apart from DAB radio occasionally.  This was 20 years ago and ATC have changed their tweeters twice I believe in the meantime and doubtless made other changes.   The Avantgardes were like a breath of fresh air.  The big ATCs  have their place, but for me, that's firmly in the recording studio, but I fully accept that many like their sound.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, hearhere said:

My system then was about as simple as it could be - Mark Levinson 390S CDP into ATC 50 Active speakers, so amps not to blame and the 390S was about as good as you could get.  I was then listening to CDs only apart from DAB radio occasionally.  This was 20 years ago and ATC have changed their tweeters twice I believe in the meantime and doubtless made other changes.   The Avantgardes were like a breath of fresh air.  The big ATCs  have their place, but for me, that's firmly in the recording studio, but I fully accept that many like their sound.

My reaction to ATC in the past was the same as yours.

A couple of years ago I heard them with the new tweeters and I was astonished at how smooth they now were. I did wonder though why it took them so long to change.

I suggest you have a listen to the new model, it may come as a surprise.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Birdbrain said:

My reaction to ATC in the past was the same as yours.

A couple of years ago I heard them with the new tweeters and I was astonished at how smooth they now were. I did wonder though why it took them so long to change.

I suggest you have a listen to the new model, it may come as a surprise.

I agree, having previously owned 100ASLs w/ Vifa tweeters, followed by 150s w/ SEAS, and now the ATC in-house tweeter. It's an enormous upgrade over the previous versions. Smooth yet highly-detailed.

The reason it took so long to develop is that ATC wanted to get it absolutely right, and that took a lot of research.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gromit said:

Royd Sintra II

Small, unassuming black boxes but I've rarely heard a speaker - at any price - that gets the fundamental building blocks of music more right than these. I'll never sell them.

NIK_7868.jpg

Never heard a set, but I'm sure they're good. Don't think I've heard a bad speaker that uses the same scanspeak tweeter that's in those. It's one of my favourites 👍

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 28/11/2021 at 10:53, bigrod said:

Gale 401 Chrome

Very difficult to drive , but give them power that can grab them by the b…s , and they sound superb across all genre..The combination of 2 x 8” base drivers , a peerless 5” mid and the legendary Celestion HF 2000 give such beautiful rendition on vocals .. For me the outstanding speaker from the 70s and 80’

a true iconic speaker now nearly 50 years old ..

In 1976 they were voted the sexiest speaker of the decade..

Don’t look out of place in any setting …

This pair were lovingly restored over several months ..

A148B994-BE2F-4436-80D0-7A5D77F74B4C.jpeg

There have been many “likes “on this speaker .. It’s still got a place in people’s hearts fifty years on

• Like 1

• Administrator

DFA70FE9-8B89-49CF-B26B-515E51993322.thumb.jpeg.5b753884bb820268eba33d77ec21b75c.jpeg

Kharma ceramique 2.3 CE . Had them 16 years now . They are hungry for power and need careful matching but get them right and they have a midrange to die for  . Ceramic tweeter and mid driver by Accuton and Nomex Kevlar bass driver . A full three way speaker that with the ASR amp have never sounder better 

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, bigrod said:

There have been many “likes “on this speaker .. It’s still got a place in people’s hearts fifty years on

Yeah they loved the bad sci-fi look back then, Dr Who was in its prime ;)

You need a space age flat to have them tho :D

I'm only have a bit of a joke as well Julian. One of my favs are possibly one of the ugliest speakers to put in any lounge!

I'd actually love to hear those Gales 👍

These speakers are a stunning peice of engineering, and take music reproduction to a level rarely achieved in a home environment. Their size belies their capabilities and I love them for so many reasons, but if you have ever experienced TAD 4" compression drivers, the dynamics of 15" midbass and the prodigous base of twin 12" caivty loaded drivers, all driven activley, then you know. And if you havent, words cannot convey what these are capable of.

PXL_20211130_142634562.jpg

• Like 9

Super Wammer
14 minutes ago, Mondie said:

These speakers are a stunning peice of engineering, and take music reproduction to a level rarely achieved in a home environment. Their size belies their capabilities and I love them for so many reasons, but if you have ever experienced TAD 4" compression drivers, the dynamics of 15" midbass and the prodigous base of twin 12" caivty loaded drivers, all driven activley, then you know. And if you havent, words cannot convey what these are capable of.

PXL_20211130_142634562.jpg

Glad they are meeting - and probably exceeding expectations - after the long wait.  Out of interest, what frequency range does the 15" driver cover?

• Like 1

Not totally sure, but I would guess 80-600Hz, thats 3 octaves which is one of Lenards design principles.

• Upvote 1