Which were the best Wharfedale 2-way speakers from 1980s to today?

pmcuk

5 hours ago, rab1991 said:

i've always fancied a pair of coleridge or harewoods with the ceramic tweeters. not heard any though

Woah I forgot about these. My mate was the industrial designer on these, put the port and binding posts underneath the base of the cabinet.

19 hours ago, HectorHughMunro said:

The E series were interesting; E50, E70, E90 etc.  Not so nice with transistors but with valves they could be very good.

Yes, very high sensitivity. I have memories of listening tests, and one of the 'E' models (I think E70) being the one that was often picked out as sounding the best, right up until the late '80s. 

Edited by luxury_scruff
spelling

I liked the Linton 3xp from the seventies. Just a very enjoyable speaker. Good in the midrange with an integrated overall sound.  Fast forward to the new Linton's which I also like.  It's the speaker that brought Wharfdale success in  the mass market and seems to be popular in the eastern market nowadays.

Any love for the latest 2-ways - D320 and Diamond 12.1 and Crystal 4.2?

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, pmcuk said:

Any love for the latest 2-ways - D320 and Diamond 12.1 and Crystal 4.2?

I’m sure the Diamond 12.1 is lovable as I recently saw a picture of them in Karl-Heinz Fink’s office.  As he’s one of my favourite speaker designers and he had a hand in these I’d be confident in buying them. 

Edited by Nopiano

This brings back memories of going to Hi-Fi corner in Edinburgh in the 80's to purchase speakers for a first system for a female friend of mine.

We listened to three pairs of speakers, namely Wharfedale 504, Wharfedale 505 and Heybrook Point 5 I think they were.

However, long story short, she chose the 504's without any prompting from me but I have to say that they were my faves of lot too.

They sounded great when we set them up in her home too. Used in a smallish room it has to be said, which suited them well. Still going strong to this day too.

My biggest disappointment for Wharfedale 2 ways were the 9.1's, especially after all the rave reviews they got. I've never had a chance to listen to any of the 9.1's successors. Maybe they're better?

3 hours ago, dj gibby said:

My biggest disappointment for Wharfedale 2 ways were the 9.1's, especially after all the rave reviews they got. I've never had a chance to listen to any of the 9.1's successors. Maybe they're better?

The original Diamonds were very nice sounding to my ears.