Never ending projects...

flak monkey

Super Wammer

Seems I'm a bit swamped with audio gear projects at the moment, so I thought I'd start a thread with a few bits.

Not all 'hifi' I'm the truest sense, but all audio, I promise...

First up a rescued Akai 4000DB. Dug it out of a garage and it was in a sorry state. Full mechanical and electrical rebuild and it now sounds as good as ever. Recapped with Nichicon caps throughout, low leakage where needed. Replaced all the transistors too as several are known to be problematic.

Set it all up again and it's now a permanent part of my main rig.

20211219_155251.thumb.jpg.1881c9ba07f55c277c6cc1ea02f87ccb.jpg

51781706751_1209aaf31e_b.jpg

51780893012_58bbf0e940_b.jpg

51781706766_2aa918d77d_b.jpg

51781706731_7e92e4d201_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, flak monkey said:

Seems I'm a bit swamped with audio gear projects at the moment..

I stopped there 🤣

Richard will be along in a minute to explain how he's at home twiddling his thumbs for lack of ongoing toys to fix/assemble/test and many another wammer too I am expecting, none of whom will be bemoaning a lack of projects...

My Teac R2R remains in the dusty pile, another source component with all the associated agonies I do not need, but well done, that's a fiddly looking job you've completed there!

At present the 6c33c prototype is sitting breadboarded on my freezer lid, the Audioromy is having a quick replacement of the wretched original bias pots, the Komedy Kondo has risen from boat-anchoring duties following a trade of some GE for some Raytheon tubes (yes that OCD rabbit hole again🙁),  the 300b PSE is slated to rise from the dead following an 8 year hiatus concerning interstage trafo issues, that will give me back my designing table! Unfortunately at this late stage I've pretty much stopped designing...

It's always endless, and we love it 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jazid said:

I stopped there 🤣

It's always endless, and we love it 😁

Yup :rofl:

• Like 1

The workshop is still in boxes in the garage, as I'm pondering whether to redecorate the room before I shift it all back again. Unfortunately, I need to pile into the dreaded thing called 'work' before I even start thinking about the fun of starting on some of the projects again.

As I've said before, it's more of a disease than a hobby anyway. The system is sounding really quite good at the moment, but that won't stop me, of course. And like many of us, the list is endless. New version of the phono stage, new version of the main preamp, at least two DHT preamps to tidy up properly, the 300B PP, the second 845, etc., etc. Even when I 'finish' something, I start thinking about new versions of it. The current DAC is exceeding expectations and isn't even my primary source, but I have an unpleasant desire to look at a ladder board.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

Sounds like you are both busy.

The Akai is done now, until something breaks on it. 

I've got a Trace Elliot 350W mosfet bass amp to fix for my partner. Has pre and power amp issues, sitting in a damp garage for the past 2 years hasn't helped.

Have an Arcam Alpha 7SE that has CD read issues. Common, likely needs a new laser/drive if I can be bothered to fix it.

Have a Sony TC-377 RtR that needs a service as well as an Akai AA-8080 reciever and a Lenco GL78.

Also have an old 1950s radio/record player in a nice wooden cabinet to fit a discrete DAB and USB/digital source into.

Oh and I have some new speaker designs in the works too, but they may have to wait for a while.

• Like 1

Incidentally, welcome back Sera!

I'll avoid the list of commercially made items in storage here that need fixing. That's a subject that comes too close to exposing my utter lunacy in buying and collecting 'stuff'.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 29/12/2021 at 09:54, rabski said:

Incidentally, welcome back Sera!

I'll avoid the list of commercially made items in storage here that need fixing. That's a subject that comes too close to exposing my utter lunacy in buying and collecting 'stuff'.

Thanks. Been away for a while, but have recently got off most of social media, reverting to forums instead. More civilised.

I've lots of DIY projects too 😊

My Impulse H6 have been in a state of flux for about 30 years!  They have had numerous drivers, crossovers, cosmetic finishes, feet, bases, spikes, internal wiring, external cladding, and internal damping/weighting.  I think they may be finished.  A real trigger's broom, the only thing left is the original mdf carcass and that is clad externally on all sides with new plywood and veneer.  

• Like 1

Super Wammer

This was meant to be a quick project that turned into a faff. Bought this Arcam Alpha 7SE CD player dirt cheap as it had issues reading CD's. Really common issue with the Sony CD transports used in these and a lot of other players of the same period. Bought a new laser unit which was faulty, so that was a load of time wasted.

But in the end, after some faffing around to access the RF and TE test points with the scope and some minor adjustments to the Focus and E-F pots on the KSS-240a laser assembly it's now functioning perfectly well. 

Not sure if I will bother doing anything else to it. I already have my Roksan K2 CD player in my main rig, so don't really need another player. Might just sell it, can't decide!

20211231_122049.jpg.aa3c39e1162fd88a0b882f677da28d72.jpg

Ive got two 300B set amps both with problems and I need to sort at least one out. But the main problem for me is just moving them as Ive got a medical problem and they are so xxxxxx heavy! 

Lots of other projects to finish like using some ex Innersound electrostatic panels which have only been in the cupboard for two years. These I originally sold to a friend who also kept them in a cupboard so I bought them back. We could keep this up for years.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I just bought some boards to build a NOS AD1862 DAC and a SPDIF I2S input board, so another project to the list!

Super Wammer

Not exactly hi-fi, but it is audio and a bit of a novelty. Got asked to fix this Sharp VZ1500 by a friends parents. A linear tracking, both sides play system. The tone arm moves all the way under the record to play the second side.

It had various mechanical issues which were solved by a strip down, cleaning out old grease/lubricants and fitting new belts to the turntable and cassette deck. 

Sounds exactly as you would expect (very average), but it's an interesting novelty player and now works flawlessly.

20220106_082133.thumb.jpg.444ea5c4645fb768de74025179ff2b57.jpg

121268252_20220106_082207(1).thumb.jpg.9c97323db1f40a59c6f8a5cc348d9ecc.jpg

Super Wammer

Next up is this Trace Elliot AH400SM bass guitar amp with a PB300 board - has been on tour with my partner a few times and was last used about 10 years ago because it developed a fault after someone else messed with it - I expect someone plugged an output into the line in/effects return, but it's unknown and wasn't witnessed.

Anyway - the pre-amp had low gain, albeit the signal was getting through and seemed clean enough. Pulled the board and replaced all 3 of the TL074 op-amps as well as the 5 selector switches. The latter were noisy in operation and they are sealed so couldn't be cleaned. Hooked up the line out of the board to one of my MOSFET power amps and am now happy that the pre-amp and graphic equaliser are working properly. That was a very cheap fix, under a tenner.

Next thing to investigate is a noisy/distorted output from the MOSFET power amp board in the unit. I've been over the board and cannot find any dodgy joints and all components look to be ok although I will replace the electrolytics and the output cap as a matter of course anyway. I expect that one or more of the MOSFETS have died. Those are defunct BUZ900 and BUZ905. Thankfully Profusion make drop in replacements for those, so I need to order some. 

20220106_122431_2.thumb.jpg.29ba32b876452a562668a9e20e6fef34.jpg

Good to see you back, Sera, and good to see things are progressing project-wise!

I was going to chip in with my to-do list but then realised I would probably triple the length of this thread, so I should probably start my own...

• Like 1

Top of my list is biasing a pair of Monarchy SM30 class A amps, one runs noticeably warmer than the other. First time I've done one so should be fun!

Second job is to lower the hum in my DHT pre amp, it has 2 knobs floating around off wires inside that look like hum buckers but they're near some high voltages, and you have to approach from below. Been on the list for a few years as you don't notice when music's playing. Might get some special gloves for that one...

Other than that it's mainly simple jobs like choosing the best (socketed) op amps in my SS headphone amps.

Hope that's not too much to derail the thread..

• Like 1