Power conditioning / protection

Hertz

Back in my country, surges and brown outs are very common so I used to run my rig on a double conversion online ups system. How does it work here ? Do I need any protection against surges and such ? Do you run your gear directly from the wall sockets ?

It has been 2 months since I came to Edinburgh and I never experienced a power outage or any such issues.

Power outages are extremely rare: usually caused by storms. Sometimes problems with the Power Supply companies.

I've had my equipment plugged into the mains for 15 years: but my amplifiers have multiple protection circuits built-in at the design stage

You might want to consider a surge protector, but I wouldn't worry too much

• Like 2

The UK electric I think is more stable than Asia, I have been to many Asian countries and there are numerous problems with the electric, surges, black outs etc but some are OK. 

In UK cities black-outs are fairly rare but do happen occasionally.

The biggest issue here is probably lightning strikes. These are more common in the summer, August is probably the worst month. I remember being in Scotland in August and there were quite a few thunderstorms going off. 

I don't bother with surge protection, I think it can affect some amps. I plug amps direct into the wall sockets and other items into an extension block. 

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 2

Get a sparky to fit surge/lightning protection in your consumer unit / fuse box if not possible in enclosure feeding your hifi

ds614_e_dehn_stops_surges.pdf

Residential buildings | DEHN United Kingdom

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone.

My power cords are a mix of US and UK type. Are there people who will custom make a distribution box where I can get both options ?

The other option is to re-terminate everything to UK type. In case I re-terminate...any suggestions for plugs ? 

Also, would love to get some advice about sanely priced distribution boxes that are build solid and look nice.

You have nothing to worry about.

Change all of your power cables to UK spec. If you're looking for a quality DIY option, get some of these: https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mcru-diy-mains-lead-set-2/

Then buy a well made but not crazy priced distribution block like Olson or Tacima. Try your (power) amp direct to the wall if you're concerned the surge suppressor might affect the sound.

A direct lightning strike is extremely rare. No mains block or power conditioner would protect your equipment from such a strike, and more extreme measures are just unnecessary (unless you've moved into Edinburgh castle).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If your devices are US power then aren’t the voltages different?

I didn't spot that. I assume they're either 120-240V or he's using step-down transformers.

Edited by Warszawa

2 hours ago, Hertz said:

Thanks everyone.

My power cords are a mix of US and UK type. Are there people who will custom make a distribution box where I can get both options ?

The other option is to re-terminate everything to UK type. In case I re-terminate...any suggestions for plugs ? 

Also, would love to get some advice about sanely priced distribution boxes that are build solid and look nice.

The thing to watch is polarity. This is discussed by people who live in countries, which have plugs that can go in the sockets either way around, as in the US, Europe and some Asian countries. Apparently this can make a difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

The thing to watch is polarity. This is discussed by people who live in countries, which have plugs that can go in the sockets either way around, as in the US, Europe and some Asian countries. Apparently this can make a difference. 

It does.

Edited by tuga
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Warszawa said:

I didn't spot that. I assume they're either 120-240V or he's using step-down transformers.

My gear are all 240v. But I had picked up couple of cullan cables power cords while travelling in the US a few years ago. The plugs are the US type. I used a custom made distribution box that accepted both Indian and US plugs while I was in India. India is also 240v

Edited by Hertz

Where I live in France I get transformer hum. I use ATL dc blockers to correct this. The ATL box also results in a clearer and cleaner sound. I thought this might have been due to my buyers expectation bias, but my wife, unprompted, said that Imust have changed something because the ‘radio’ sounds better. (Radio being 6 boxes of electronics).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 13/01/2022 at 14:01, Hertz said:

Back in my country, surges and brown outs are very common so I used to run my rig on a double conversion online ups system. How does it work here ? Do I need any protection against surges and such ? Do you run your gear directly from the wall sockets ?

It has been 2 months since I came to Edinburgh and I never experienced a power outage or any such issues.

There was a power cut 3 houses ago, and the power was restored before I'd got across the room to power off the HiFi. The surge took out one channel of my amplifier. NEVER trust them.

the power was restored before I'd got across the room to power off the HiFi

fit UVR undervoltage release on Circuit Breaker in consumer units feeding the HIFI , most should just clip into a standard MCB/RCD etc

Undervoltage Release (UVR) The undervoltage release opens the circuit breaker when its supply voltage falls to between 35 - 60% of rated voltage. If the release is not energized to 85% of its supply voltage, the circuit breaker cannot be closed electrically or manually

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

There was a power cut 3 houses ago, and the power was restored before I'd got across the room to power off the HiFi. The surge took out one channel of my amplifier. NEVER trust them.

I've quoted this story on here before but 30 years ago a £20 surge plug saved my Hifi and the rest of the house appliances after a house fire further up the street caused some sort of surge that fried the inside of the surge plug ......since then I've never had a system without some sort of protection.

• Upvote 1