Sign in to follow this  
whizzkid

The Electronic Music Thread.

Someone suggested a thread devoted to all things Electronica and I have been thinking of something along these lines as well so here it is a place to swap views on the best new and old Electronic Music.

I'll start by recomending the new Squarepusher album - Just A Souvenir - Tom Jenkinson has really started to broaden his horizons over his last three albums and it all good to me Disco, Rock, Jazz Improv interludes and of course fast paced in your face Electronica check it out.

I may also look for other already started threads that maybe of interest and link to them in this one.

Dean..

• Upvote 1

Yep, good idea this, always on the hunt for some new idm/ambient electronica

My all time favourite electronica/idm has to be Boards of Canada, could be either ,Muisc has the right to children or the campfire headphase, as they are quite similar, but I always come back to these stunning records and find something new in them. As for newish stuff, I like a couple of things on Ninja Tune, namely Hexstatic and Pest.

Good Idea Dean :)

Currently can't stop listening to:

Pause by 4 tet,

Flared up Remix album of Port-Royal

and an Andy Stott comp my mate made me...

This little clip reminds how much has changed in 40 years:

edit+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQJqUNV4QBA&feature=related

(Love the sound VCS3's make)

I listen to older electronic music more and more these days, the likes of Louis and Bebe Barron, TD (up to Stratosfear), Warner Jepson, Irrlicht by Klaus Schulze, Ash Ra, Priscilla and Barton Mclean, Faust, Edward Artmiev to name a few off the top of my head. (Could come up with loads more if I went through the racks upstairs!)

Nb. usually comes to a halt when Mrs Mysteron arrives-"Turn that f**king shit off NOW!!" is usually how it goes..

When I get the chance though there is something just right about these synthesized cosmic tones and seemingly random farts, bleeps and belches to put the brain back in tune again.

(An emoticon for 'that Hamlet moment' would be useful here.)

Nice list Mr Cat,

There is quite a lot on there I have already, I can wholeheartidly recommend Biosphere, Stars Of The Lid. Murof & Deepchord. A couple of artists, Trentmoller & Thomas Fehlmann, I'm finding difficult to get into though I do try but you forgot the KING of head nodding chillness Nightmares On Wax. Albums to go for are...

Smokers Delight

Carboot Soul

In a Space Outta Sound

Dean..

Zero 7 :Dfor Dean . Thievery Corporation is on route via Amazon atm Dean . Really liked the sound of that one .

Lovely jubely! About time someone started an electronic music thread. There's far too much AOR in the Wigwam. Time to mix it up a bit and showthe ludditesthere's more to life than just Steely Dan (who are excellent) and The Eagles (who aren't so excellent).

Some electronic artists I like/have likedfor various reasons and moods... I'll add more artists and info as and when... Album art for albums worth getting...

Adam F - drum n bass - son of Alvin Stardust! 'Colours' features Tracy Thorne, other albums include collaborations with De La Soul, MC Conrad, etc.

MusicCatalog%5CA%5CAdam%20F%20-%20Colours%5CAdam%20F%20-%20Colours.jpg

Ame - Kristian Beyer & Frank Wiedemann - Deep House/Techno

ame.jpg

A Man Called Adam - electronica with an often jazzy and laid-backfeel. Paul Daley left to form Leftfield.

A%20Man%20Called%20Adam%20-%20All%20My%20Favourite.jpg

Aquanote - Gabriel Rene - US (perhaps 'soulful') House - Naked Music

41TBRPPAAHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Aqua Bassino - Mellow house - F Comm - from Edinburgh (Jason Robertson)

MusicCatalog%5CA%5CAqua%20Bassino%20-%20Beat

Akufen - Marc Leclair - minimal house - microsamples

akufenmyway1by.jpg

Air - French, mostly mellow synth pop, seem to have lost their way - below is their best

air-premiers_symptomes.png

Aphex Twin/Polygon Window/Richard D James - below is my favourite - a classic album

Aphex%20Twin%20-%20Selected%20Ambient%20Works%2085-92.jpg

Big Bud - perhaps the best chilled drum n bass album- Late Night Blues

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBig%20Bud%20-%20Late%20Night%20Blues%5CBig%20Bud%20-%20Late%20Night%20Blues%20.jpg

Blue Six - Jay Denesfeaturing Lisa Shaw et al -Beautiful Tomorrow

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBlue%20Six%20-%20Beautiful%20Tomorrow%5CBlue%20Six%20-%20Beautiful%20Tomorrow.jpg

Boards of Canada - dark ambient - lots of stuff released - I particularly like this EP:

B00005175G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Brian Eno - ambient auteur - I listened to Music for Airports recently while at Heathrow (and it works):

BrianEno-Ambient1.jpg

BT - some music is very much a product of this time. He's done other stuff since but Ima marked his debut and, as trance goes, it's pretty good:

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBT%20-%20IMA%5CBT%20-%20IMA.jpg

Bugge Wesseltoft - Norwegian jazz (Nu Jazz)producer but crosses over to electronica. Moving is my favourite - Jazzland is the record label

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBugge%20Wesseltoft%20-%20Moving%5CBugge%20Wesseltoft%20-%20Moving.jpg

Carl Cox - house/techno dj - used to go to loads of his sets (usually at the Velvet Underground on Charing Cross Road). Quite a few mix cd's. Some solo efforts such as:

Carl%20Cox%20-%20Second%20Sign.jpg

Carl Craig - Hmm. Not sure where to start with this Detroit Techno legend. I used to have a ton of his stuff on 12". There's a discog here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Carl+Craig- This mix cd serves as a good intro:

Carl%20Craig%20-%20DJ%20Kicks.jpg

C J Bolland - loved this excellent album waaay back in 1995:

CJ%20Bolland%20-%20The%204th%20Sign.jpg

Coldcut - Autumn Leaves (irresistible force mix)while not an outright example of their style is my fave:

Coldcut-Autumn-Leaves-372662.jpg

Crazy Penis - Producers now with vocalist Danielle Moore. Quality house. The Wicked Is Music is my favourite. Nice sample from 'Willie Wonka' kicks off There's A Better Place.

MusicCatalog%5CC%5CCrazy%20Penis%20-%20The%20Wicked%20Is%20Music%5CCrazy%20Penis%20-%20The%20Wicked%20Is%20Music.jpg

Daft Punk - Homework is still my favourite. Though the very different Discovery is good too...

714.jpg

Darren Emerson - dj and part of Underworld (Lager Lager Lager Lager). Album below features Skyscraper. An old favourite.

dubnobass-763341.jpg

Dave Clarke - his brand of techno is pretty 'hard' I suppose. This is a good selection:

51IZLh357FL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Deep Dish - Deep House duo/dj's. Plenty of own work and mix cd's. Favourite of mine has to be the brilliantYoshiesque:

MusicCatalog%5CD%5CDeep%20Dish%20-%20Yoshiesque%5CDeep%20Dish%20-%20Yoshiesque.jpg

Derrick May - I still have a copy of 'The Strings of Life' (Rhythim is Rythim (sic)):

strings-of-life.jpg

Depeche Mode - Violator of course

MusicCatalog%5CD%5CDepeche%20Mode%20-%20Violator%5CDepeche%20Mode%20-%20Violator.jpg

DJ Hell- this guy's been around for years (techno).The below is cool -very '80's' features remixes of tracks originally by Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer

DJ%20Hell%20-%20Hellboys.jpg

DJ Shadow - has to be this one - Endtroducing. Lots of other stuff plus collaborations (such as UNKLE). A true Samplemeister.

MusicCatalog%5CD%5CDJ%20Shadow%20-%20Endtroducing%5CDJ%20Shadow%20-%20Endtroducing....jpg

Eat Static - Psychedelic Trance - an old (and hectic) favourite - Abduction:

bark001.jpg

Etienne De Crecy - French House/Techno/Electro - Tempovision and Super Discount

superdiscount22jk.jpg

The Field - Axel Willner -From Here we go Sublime -Minimal Techno - micro samples - love the vibe from this album (has a sense of humour too - ie- sample from Lionel Richie's 'Hello')

the%20field.jpg

Fourtet - Kieran Hebden - lots of samples, lots of remixes and influences. I like this album best because of its 'folktronica' sound. Everything Ecstatic is also good.

B00005OMH5.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Front 242 - Plenty of stuff re' this band on the EBM thread. This album introduced me to their (often hard and driving) sound

2026915-67608279.jpg

A Guy Called Gerald - Acid House from way back when. Voodoo Ray. More recently turned to 'intelligent' d n b - Essence for instance. bought this, more 'ambient' album a year or two back - Studio !K7

MusicCatalog%5CA%5CA%20Guy%20Called%20Gerald%20-%20To%20All%20Things%20What%20They%20Need%5CA%20Guy%20Called%20Gerald%20-%20To%20All%20Things%20What%20They%20Need.jpg

Gotan Project - electronic tango. Need I say more?

MusicCatalog%5CG%5CGotan%20Project%20-%20La%20Revancha%20Del%20Tango%20(with%20bonus%20CD)%5CGotan%20Project%20-%20La%20Revancha%20Del%20Tango%20(with%20bonus%20CD).jpg

Herbert, Dr Rockit - Matthew Herbert- lots of found sounds (I prefer Herbert).Produced Roisin Murphy's recent solo album. Jeff Buckley cover on this:

61DWAGRJE2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Rockit of course from Future Shock (with THAT video). More of a 'commercial' jazz artist these days.

61896.jpg

Jeff Mills - Detroit Techno forefather.Large volume of work. The exhibitionist DVD shows you the man REALLY knows how to mix.

MusicCatalog%5CJ%5CJeff%20Mills%20-%20Exhibitionist%5CJeff%20Mills%20-%20Exhibitionist.jpg

Joey Beltram - hardcore/hardhouse mixer/producer - I'm the one and only Dominator (there is no other - I want to kiss myself)

MusicCatalog%5CJ%5CJoey%20Beltram%20-%20Classics%5CJoey%20Beltram%20-%20Classics.jpg

Jori Hulkonnen - Finnish -housedj and producer on F-Comm.

Jori%20Hulkkonen%20-%20When%20No%20One%20Is%20Watching%20We%20Are%20Invisible.jpg

Koop - dress-wearing electronic jazz duo from Sweden.Jazz orchestrasound constructed entirely from samples (apart from vocals). Recording suffers from dynamic compression which is a shame.

koop.jpg

Kevin Saunderson - Inner City - Paradise - one of my first house LPs. Good Life. Big Fun.

MusicCatalog%5CI%5CInner%20City%20-%20Paradise%5CInner%20City%20-%20Paradise.jpg

Kevin Yost - Deep chilled houseincorporating real instruments (!)- I like Road Less Traveled (and Future Flashback)

MusicCatalog%5CK%5CKevin%20Yost%20-%20Road%20Less%20Traveled%5CKevin%20Yost%20-%20Road%20Less%20Traveled.jpg

Ken Ishii - Japanese Techno dj/producer. Hard in a similar vein to Detroit Techno but still different. Produced music for the trippysynesthesia PS2 'game' Rez

MusicCatalog%5CK%5CKen%20Ishii%20-%20Jelly%20Tones%5CKen%20Ishii%20-%20Jelly%20Tones.jpg

Kenny Larkin - Detroit Techno dj/producer - hadn't heard anything for years then bought this recently - which is rather good

Kenny_Larkin_Keys__Strings__Tambourines_Planet_E_Communications.jpg

The KLF - The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu/Timelords/The JAMS- famous for burning a million pounds. I like The White Room more than their more hectic stuff.

KLF,%20The%20-%20White%20Room.jpg

Kraftwerk. Living legends. Influential.Gesamtkunstwerk. Need I say more? A good starting point is Minimum Maximum. Tour de France Soundtracks is rather good...

MusicCatalog%5CK%5CKraftwerk%20-%20Tour%20De%20France%20Soundtracks%5CKraftwerk%20-%20Tour%20De%20France%20Soundtracks.jpg

Kruder & Dorfmeister (Peter Kruder/Richard Dorfmeister) - for the K&D Sessions of course - chilled out dub infused d n b with remixes of Depeche Mode, Roni Size, etc

kruderdorfmeisterkdsessions6mz.jpg

Laurent Garnier - dj/producer - part owner of label F-Comm. French techno/house. Perhaps best know for The Man with the Red Face

manredface.jpg

Lamb - Louise Rhodes (vocals/writer) and Andy Barlow - electronic duo with a drum n bass/trip hoppy style. Their first album - as is so often the case - remains their best.

Lamb%20-%20Lamb.jpg

Leftfield - another (popular) electronica duo - I prefer their second album, with tracks such as Dusted, Phat Planet and Africa Shox (with Africa Bambaataa)

MusicCatalog%5CL%5CLeftfield%20-%20Rhythm%20And%20Stealth%5CLeftfield%20-%20Rhythm%20And%20Stealth.jpg

Little Louis Vega - see Masters at Work

Lindstrom - Norwegian dj/producer - It's a Feedility Affair and Where You Go I Go Too - nice 80's synth pop feel to some of the music

nmpwmy04.jpg

Luomo/Vladislav Delay/Sistol/Sasu Rapatti - I like this minimal/vocal house album - Vocalcity - the track Tessio has been played many times http://www.discogs.com/release/7149. Vladislav Delay stuff is much more ambient/experimental imho.

Luomo%20-%20Vocalcity.jpg

Logical Progression - PFM The Western (featuring MC Conrad) - LTJ Bukem - classic - I love the aforementioned track.

828739.jpg

Massive Attack - Trip Hop - Trio/now duo- part of the Bristol Scene -Blue Linesis still my favourite

massivejf0.jpg

Masters at Work (Nuyorican Soul)- house producers/remix artists- Kenny 'Dope' Gonzales and Little Louis Vega

B00004WEYP.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Moloko -Roisin Murphy and Mark Brydon - four albums of which the one below features Sing it Back.Murphyhas gone solo now (Herbert produced).

I-am-not-a-doctor-MOLOKO-CD--1138937.jpg

Moritz Von Oswald - Techno producer/mastering engineer - influential -has worked with practically ALL the techno artists you might care to name. I like the minimal techno album below (mastered by Oswald but for TV Victor)

tre151.jpg

Mr Scruff - funny - potato characters - nice samples

Mr.%20Scruff%20-%20Trouser%20Jazz.jpg

Mylo - love Destroy Rock n Roll

mylo_destroy.jpg

Norma Jean Bell (The Baddest Bitch) - http://www.discogs.com/artist/Norma+Jean+Bell

416Ee36mFPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Paul Van Dyk - Progressive house/trance dj and producer- a bit 'commercial' as they say but I like this album from 1996:

Paul%20van%20Dyk%20-%20Seven%20Ways%20(Special%20Limited%20Edition).jpg

Peace Orchestra - Austrian Peter Kruder (one half of Kruder and Dorfmeister) goes solo with this dubby chill-out fest. Lovely.

Peace%20Orchestra%20-%20Peace%20Orchestra.jpg

Pet Shop Boys - need no introduction - Brit synth pop pioneers. Excellent b-sides. My favourite album has to be'Behaviour' (which was constructed using analogue synths and produced by Harold Faltermeyer)

Pet%20Shop%20Boys%20-%20Behaviour.jpg

Pete Namlock - influentialambient auteur - http://www.discogs.com/artist/Pete+Namlook?noanv=1

R-16578-001.jpg

Plaid -quirky London-based electronic music duo - I like this album - Rest Proof Clockwork'and 'Double Figure'

Plaid%20-%20Rest%20Proof%20Clockwork.jpg

Plastikman/Richie Hawtin - prolific techno/electronic artist/dj. I like 'comsumed' but also like some of his Richie Hawtin stuff such as 'Closer to the Edit'

MusicCatalog%5CP%5CPlastikman%20-%20Consumed%5CPlastikman%20-%20Consumed.jpg

Prodigy - need no introduction but I like this one:

Prodigy,%20The%20-%20Music%20For%20The%20Jilted%20Generation.jpg

Orbital - probably reached their peak in the early/mid 90's but they're still around

1388352501.jpg

Roni Size - D n B dj and producer - here's his Mercury winning Reprazent

RoniSize.jpg

Royksopp - Norwegian duo - strangely I hate their most popular song 'Poor Leno'

arton262.jpg

Ralph Myers and the Jack Herren Band - Norwegian electronica band - love this album cover:

MusicCatalog%5CR%5CRalph%20Myerz%20&%20Jack%20Herren%20Band,%20The%20-%20A%20Special%20Album%5CRalph%20Myerz%20&%20Jack%20Herren%20Band,%20The%20-%20A%20Special%20Album.jpg

The Rurals - Devon based deep house group/collective - 10th Chapter is their 10th album!

BinaryCacheServlet?albumid=1196179057846&datatype=fc300

Scan X - Stephanie Dre - French Techno producer/dj on the F-Comm label

46508.jpg

Squarepusher - UK electronica producer signed to Warp Records

squarepusher20ultravisitor.jpg

St Germain - French - jazzy house dj/producer - aka Ludovic Lavarre

St_Germain_-_Tourist.jpg

Sven Vath - German techno/trance dj/producer

BinaryCacheServlet?albumid=1211806419469&datatype=fc300

Tosca (Richard Dorfmeister/Rupert Huber) - Series of chilled and dubby mixes and recordings - such as Delhi 9

Tosca%20-%20Delhi%209.jpg

Trouble Man - one half of Global Communication - Mark Pritchard. 76:14 - ambient classic

B000003RSK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Tom Middleton/Global Communication/Jedi Knights - dj/producer - the better, more prolific,half of global communication

MusicCatalog%5CT%5CTom%20Middleton%20-%20Mixmag%20Presents%20A%20Jedi

The Orb - UK ambient group

orb_uforb.jpg

Two Lone Swordsmen/Andrew Weatherall - a really nice mix cd by Andy who's been around...

R-36197-1104176716.jpg

Ulrich Schnauss - a gem of a (mellow) record

126f.jpg

UNKLE - in various guises - post DJ Shadow, I like War Stories CD2 instrumental

unkle-war-stories.jpg

Vangelis - for the Blade Runner OSTof course!

B000002IZM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Way Out West - from Bristol - Whatever happened to 'epic house'?

Way%20Out%20West%20-%20Way%20Out%20West.jpg

Yello - Dieter Meier and Boris Blank... I really like 'To the Sea' on Pocket Universe

Yello%20-%20pocket%20universe.jpg

Slam/Warp/Ninja Tunes/F-Communications/Studio !K7/React/Kompact/Sonar Kollektiv/Naked Music/Soma/Mo Wax/Planet E/Astral Werks/Mute/Nova Mute/Talkin Loud/R & S/Tresor/FFRR...

etc :^

mikedefacto wrote:

there's a new joint project by carl craig and mortiz von oswald now available, havent bought it yet though

I heard about that - but haven't actually heard it. It's on Deutsche Grammophon! :shock:

Reworkings of classics or something.

31q4MT6s-dL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

Jezzer wrote:

Lovely jubely! About time someone started an electronic music thread. There's far too much AOR in the Wigwam. Time to mix it up a bit and show em there's more to life than just Steely Dan (who are excellent) and The Eagles (who aren't so excellent).

Some electronic artists I like/have likedfor various reasons and moods... I'll add more artists and info as and when... Album art for albums worth getting...

Adam F - drum n bass - son of Alvin Stardust! 'Colours' features Tracy Thorne, other albums include collaborations with De La Soul, MC Conrad, etc.

MusicCatalog%5CA%5CAdam%20F%20-%20Colours%5CAdam%20F%20-%20Colours.jpg

Ame - Kristian Beyer & Frank Wiedemann - Deep House/Techno

ame.jpg

Aquanote - Gabriel Rene - US (perhaps 'soulful') House - Naked Music

41TBRPPAAHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Aqua Bassino - Mellow house - F Comm - from Edinburgh (Jason Robertson)

MusicCatalog%5CA%5CAqua%20Bassino%20-%20Beat%27s%20N%20Bobs%5CAqua%20Bassino%20-%20Beat%27s%20N%20Bobs.jpg

Akufen - Marc Leclair - minimal house - microsamples

akufenmyway1by.jpg

Air - French, mostly mellow synth pop, seem to have lost their way - below is their best

air-premiers_symptomes.png

Aphex Twin/Polygon Window/Richard D James - below is my favourite - a classic album

Aphex%20Twin%20-%20Selected%20Ambient%20Works%2085-92.jpg

Big Bud - perhaps the best chilled drum n bass album- Late Night Blues

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBig%20Bud%20-%20Late%20Night%20Blues%5CBig%20Bud%20-%20Late%20Night%20Blues%20.jpg

Blue Six - Jay Denesfeaturing Lisa Shaw et al -Beautiful Tomorrow

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBlue%20Six%20-%20Beautiful%20Tomorrow%5CBlue%20Six%20-%20Beautiful%20Tomorrow.jpg

Boards of Canada - dark ambient - lots of stuff released - I particularly like this EP:

B00005175G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Brian Eno - ambient auteur - I listened to Music for Airports recently while at Heathrow (and it works):

BrianEno-Ambient1.jpg

BT - some music is very much a product of this time. He's done other stuff since but Ima marked his debut and, as trance goes, it's pretty good:

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBT%20-%20IMA%5CBT%20-%20IMA.jpg

Bugge Wesseltoft - Norwegian jazz (Nu Jazz)producer but crosses over to electronica. Moving is my favourite - Jazzland is the record label

MusicCatalog%5CB%5CBugge%20Wesseltoft%20-%20Moving%5CBugge%20Wesseltoft%20-%20Moving.jpg

Carl Cox - house/techno dj - used to go to loads of his sets (usually at the Velvet Underground on Charing Cross Road). Quite a few mix cd's. Some solo efforts such as:

Carl%20Cox%20-%20Second%20Sign.jpg

Carl Craig - Hmm. Not sure where to start with this Detroit Techno legend. I used to have a ton of his stuff on 12". There's a discog here: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Carl+Craig- This mix cd serves as a good intro:

Carl%20Craig%20-%20DJ%20Kicks.jpg

C J Bolland

.Christ

Coldcut

Crazy Penis/Crazy P

Daft Punk

Darren Emerson

Dave Clarke

Derrick May

Depeche Mode

DJ Hell

DJ Shadow

Eat Static

Etienne De Crecy

The Field

Fourtet

Front 242

A Guy Called Gerald

Gotan Project

Herbert, Dr Rockit

Herbie Hancock

Jeff Mills

Joey Beltram

Jori Hulkonnen

Koop

Kevin Saunderson

Kevin Jost

Ken Iishi

Kenny Larkin

The KLF

Kraftwerk

Kruder & Dorfmeister (Peter Kruder/Richard Dorfmeister)

Laurent Garnier

Lamb

Leftfield

Little Louis Vega

Lindstrom

Luomo/Vladislav Delay/Sistol/Sasu Rapatti

Logical Progression/PFM (The Western)

A Man Called Adam

Massive Attack

Masters at Work

Moloko

Moritz Von Oswald

Mr Scruff

Mylo

Nova Nova

Norma Jean Bell (The Baddest Bitch)

Paul Van Dyk

Peace Orchestra

Pet Shop Boys

Pete Namlock

Plaid

Plastikman/Richie Hawtin

Prodigy

Orbital

Roni Size

Royksopp

Ralph Myers and the Jack Herren Band

The Rurals

Scan X

Squarepusher

St Germain

Sven Vath

Tosca (Richard Dorfmeister/Rupert Huber)

Trouble Man

Tom Middleton/Global Communication/Jedi Knights

The Orb

Two Lone Swordsmen/Andrew Weatherall

Ulrich Schnauss

UNKLE

Vangelis

Way Out West

Yello

4Hero

Slam/Warp/Ninja Tunes/F-Communications/Studio !K7/React/Kompact/Sonar Kollektiv/Naked Music, Mo Wax, Planet E,Astral Werks, Mute, Nova Mute, Talkin Loud, R & S Records, FFRR...

etc :^

The Chemical Brothers