Sign in to follow this  
regal 10

Any users of Quad electronics?

Guest 61775

Hi,

I fell in love with the 989's and built my system from this starting point. At first I used a 99pre with 909 power, and sold those to upgrade to II forty's / QC24.

I now use a Music First passive pre in preference to the QC24.

My impressions are:

99pre - This suited my system very well. It is an under-rated pre-, very transparent and the phono stage is very good. The sound quality was slightly better than the QC24, in terms of transparency. I would use one again.

QCpre24: very good, but the military valve had to be replaced twice over 5 years. It is not as transparent as the best, and the replacement MF is much better. I would not use one again, perferring the MF passive.

The 11 Forty's are excellent in my system. Anthony Matthews (Tube Distinctions) serviced them recently and upgraded the valves to cryo sovtecs - and I'm very happy. (Don't go out much now!). I want to be buried with them and the 989's.

The 909 had plenty of clout and is quite good, but in comparison to the 11-40's is not as musical, and is slightly veiled and a bit dull. David Price gave a very accurate review in Hi Fi Choice a few years ago. I would not use one again, preferring the valves.

Before making my original purchase I listened to other makes at a similar price points, to the 99/909, and to my ears they were the best sound for pound, in year 2003.

I once auditioned the 99cdp and quite liked it, preferring it to other makes at a similar price point, but paid the same for a used high end machine and got a better sound.

Looking back, I got a lot of musical pleasure from the Quad electronics. I've no regrets buying them at that time.

regal 10 wrote:

Hi,

I got my Quad 909 / cdp 99 2 only a week ago and I'm wondering what you think of them. What speakers do you use them with and what music do you listen to. Any impressions about Quad electronics would be welcome.

Hi regal 10

Read my reactions to my Quad kit by clicking below link, and my music taste's also...

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32130&forum_id=7

Regards - macvisual

Hi Regal 10,

I'm also a bit of a Quad convert. Acquired the CD-P2 and 99 set up 3 or so years ago. Moved on to the 909 a little while later, loved it all.

Similar to above I ended up with valves, buying a lovely pair of vintage Quad II which I let go as I wanted a pair of Classics which eventually turned up here.

I can't see me turning back from Quad gear and wish I'd discovered it years before, but hindsight is never your mate ! After nearly 30 years of having a great time with buying and selling I feel it's close to the end, I am just stunned by this gear and no longer have the motivation to box swap.

I use the 12L speakers and have mucked about for ages trying to find something better and can't. To my mind these perform well beyond their price point. I'd love a pair of ESL57s but I'm in a 12x12 room and this just isn't big enough. One day might try a pair of II Fortys when I can afford it - the second hand price isn't throu8gh the roof.

Anyway, you've got Quad gear, enjoy it you lucky chap !

....and Peter, that room set up is wonderful, well organised you fortunate man you. And 61775, I really can relate to the statement relating to wanting to be buried with your hi-fi.

regal 10 wrote:

Hi,

I got my Quad 909 / cdp 99 2 only a week ago and I'm wondering what you think of them. What speakers do you use them with and what music do you listen to. Any impressions about Quad electronics would be welcome.

with your set up a pair of 57's or tannoy Stirling would be nice or Spendor floor standers

I have owned both items and in fact at one time had 3 909's at once :D

great kit sounds good built like a tank

Thanks folks for your response. What strikes me most is the preference for valve amps. To be honest, it has never crossed my mind to ever consider them as part of my system. My ignorance in this regard being the only explanation. Could anyone enlighten me and explain the difference between valves and 909?

Guest 61775

As I said in my reply (above), they both have oodles of power. But the valves are far superior, more clarity, more musical, better sound stage, easier to listen too (less fatigue).

Valves are also much heavier (you need a stronger support) and throw out more heat so they double as a radiator in winter :)

Get an audition and you'll hear the difference. If you live near Edinburgh, you can come and listen to mine and bring the 909 to compare.

IMHO when you've heard the valves you won't want a transistor amp.

When I had Quad 57s I drove them with a Leak Stereo 20 valvepower amp - nice refurbished ones are available on eBay fairly regularly for £300-£400. Quite excellent! Clear & lucid, compared to Quad II's warm and cuddly sound.

As you can see from the CD placed for size comparison, they are quite compact!

I've had loads of Quad. The favourite ones that I've heard were the ESL57 (although I prefer them with Leaks or Radfords) and the Quad FM3 which is very cheap for what you get and better than later tuners. I had the 99 which was nice but lacked connectivity - I wanted to sub it and it only had the single pair of RCA sockets in addition to the Quadlink that I didn't use. The 99 pre sounded very nice with the Leak ST20 that I used primarily at the time. The 50e are also a bargain and much better than the 303.

Spendor always works well with Quad. Harbeth and Stirling Broadcast too.

What do you think to it? Why have kit and ask what others think?

Demo the very best speakers you can afford, pick them, sit back and enjoy.

After a few months go listen to more expensive kit then on the way home just buy some more music.

To my ears the cdp2 909 combo has it all.

Interesting how Quad equipment is now back in vogue. In the Flat Earth days it was the lowest of the low. Of course that didn't stop the 34/405 outselling its Naim rival 2:1 in the days when you could still get these figures.

I'll echo that the Leak 20 & 57's are a fabulous combination. The II's sound very different & its up to the individual which they prefer. For the record- I discovered after years of using the 57's that it is vital that one sits as far from them as they are apart- this cleared my one criticism of their stereo image being vague.

simont wrote:

What do you think to it? Why have kit and ask what others think?

Demo the very best speakers you can afford, pick them, sit back and enjoy.

After a few months go listen to more expensive kit then on the way home just buy some more music.

To my ears the cdp2 909 combo has it all.

And why not? This is a forum.

HectorHughMunro wrote:

stefanher wrote:
Interesting how Quad equipment is now back in vogue. In the Flat Earth days it was the lowest of the low. Of course that didn't stop the 34/405 outselling its Naim rival 2:1 in the days when you could still get these figures.

I'll echo that the Leak 20 & 57's are a fabulous combination. The II's sound very different & its up to the individual which they prefer. For the record- I discovered after years of using the 57's that it is vital that one sits as far from them as they are apart- this cleared my one criticism of their stereo image being vague.

I agree. It's a shame it all came after it was sold off and the production went abroad. What they're doing now is really good and probably better made than the original electronics but it feels like buying a replica to me which is one of the additional reasons I sold my 99 pre.

How did you manage to post this at 7.29, when it is only 7.20 now?:nuts:

stefanher wrote:

I agree. It's a shame it all came after it was sold off and the production went abroad. What they're doing now is really good and probably better made than the original electronics but it feels like buying a replica to me which is one of the additional reasons I sold my 99 pre.