Sign in to follow this  
JamPal

New toy arriving tomorrow.

HiFiWigWam wrote:

Go on then what phono stage would you use?

Werll ... there's always the £30k Boulder phono stage - said to be really quite good.

Buttbh, if I was you (that is, more sensible than a box swapper like me :)) I'd stick with the 640p for a while and just enjoy the fine performance from your nice new Samba mc cart. :^

Then .... if you fancy an upgrade at a not too steep price,you can do much worse than a MF XLPS - I've just picked up the v3 and it is a nice step up from the 640p .... what you get is more tonal colour and dynamics. Oh, and a better 3D soundstage ... the 640p is a bit 'flat between the speakers' in comparison.

Loads of choices, really, for the next rung up the ladder. MF, Trichord, Pro-Ject ....

But I reckon you can enjoy your vinyl quite nicely with the CA, but there is ALWAYS something better, isn't there! .... Just save up for the Boulder. :)

Matt J wrote:

The MF stage I tried was worse than the on board stage of a Densen B100, not sure it's much of a step up from a 640p to worth bothering with. I'd save up for a decent upgrade rather than doing it in small steps.
Yup, totally agree. Phono stage is more important than Cartridge IMHO.

JANDL100 wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:

Werll ... there's always the £30k Boulder phono stage - said to be really quite good.

Buttbh, if I was you (that is, more sensible than a box swapper like me :)) I'd stick with the 640p for a while and just enjoy the fine performance from your nice new Samba mc cart. :^

Then .... if you fancy an upgrade at a not too steep price,you can do much worse than a MF XLPS - I've just picked up the v3 and it is a nice step up from the 640p .... what you get is more tonal colour and dynamics. Oh, and a better 3D soundstage ... the 640p is a bit 'flat between the speakers' in comparison.

Loads of choices, really, for the next rung up the ladder. MF, Trichord, Pro-Ject ....

But I reckon you can enjoy your vinyl quite nicely with the CA, but there is ALWAYS something better, isn't there! .... Just save up for the Boulder. :)

£30k for a phono amp! Now that IS beyond the pale. total piss take nonsense of the highest order.

I want one.:D

What about Graham Slee?

HiFiWigWam wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
HiFiWigWam wrote:

£30k for a phono amp! Now that IS beyond the pale. total piss take nonsense of the highest order.

What about Graham Slee?

Lol, the irony there is that a phono amp is much more complicated than a simple linestage, or arguably even a power amp, which people seem happy to pay for... :?

Well ok, 30k is a bit excessive.... :shock:

Well I'm going from a 640P to a Stageline- I've not been able to dem it in my system but I'm confident it will be a sensible step forward.

And if it isn't, the usual Naim residuals should see me good.

i_should_coco wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
JANDL100 wrote:
HiFiWigWam wrote:

What about Graham Slee?

Lol, the irony there is that a phono amp is much more complicated than a simple linestage, or arguably even a power amp, which people seem happy to pay for... :?

Well ok, 30k is a bit excessive.... :shock:

:shock: Was not aware! Interesting.

So the fact my phono stage is the cheapest component in my system is something of an odd ball really.

Ok, I know where the next upgrade should be then.:^

If you're serious about the vinyl, then yeah, the phono stage is very important. As other folks have pointed out it's possible to get decent budget ones, a good one can be in another league. I think now that you have the new cart, it would definitely take things another step forward.

The new cart is not as exotic as many on here, but for £160.00 I can honestly say I have never experienced such huge improvements for such modest outlay.

In fact rarely have I expereinced such huge improvements for any outlay withint my system. If I had as many LP's as CD's, i'd be wondering if i'd ever buy any CD's again.

Nice one boss - this vinyl stuff is addictive :) (that is one funky looking cart!).

I keep wondering how good the Densen phono stage is as many people rave about it but there seems to be no chance of hearing one :(

For the DL100 I suppose I should be looking at the MC board ???

DL110 wants the mm board as it's HO, not sure what it would sound like through an MC stage to be honest.

edit: alos G the Densen stage is being a bit over hyped I think, whilst it is very good it's no giant killer or anything, but for one that was in a fairly cheap integrated amp it negates the need for an external box upto the level of the budget ones available.

Hard to value it but it seemed as good as anything upto a couple of hundred quid that I'd heard, certainly makes the likes of the cheap Cambridge, MF and Pro-Ject stages redundant.

Matt J wrote:

DL110 wants the mm board as it's HO, not sure what it would sound like through an MC stage to be honest.

LOUD, and distorted.

My old DL110 went straight into the MM input on my Densen B100 and sounded lovely.