Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Thinking of a Mac Mini for my music needs

darrenm wrote:

Sell the Squeezebox and feed the Mini into the B DAC.

That'll get you extra cash towards an Intel Mini.

Wouldn't that mean I had to use an ipod touch to control the mini, no?

Surely the remote control that comes with the mini is only good enough for skipping tracks, and pausing, etc

There are quite a few G4 mini's over here for a decent price, but very very few Intell chipped units. However, as I understand it the G4 units do not have wifi and bluetooth, and that's kind of a deal breaker

More reading to be done :-)

That might not be the worst idea, actually - using the TV to start off with, and then when funds allow get a touch to control though remote app

I'm just reading up on the different versions of the mini, it's all a bit bewildering

I recall your thread on the mini vs squeezebox and the attraction of using itunes - insert disc, it burns and is immediately there for consumption.

The missus is also fond of downloading to itunes, and this is, of course, a bit of a problem for slimserver.

Do you use your mini for any 'TV' duties, darren? Or is that really Apple TV territory

iTunes music store downloads should not be a problem for Squeezecentre any more - they're going totally DRM-free.

If you're bewildered by the Intel Mini variants, just remember that they're all fundamentally the same except for:

1. the processor (and they'll all fit all available processors)

2. amount of RAM

3. size of hard drive (irrelevant if your music is stored on an external drive)

4. whether they have a DVD writer or not (they all have at least a CD writer)

I've got one of the new generation Mac Mini, it has been a dream to use. Just waiting for the DAC to hook it up to!

Only problem I've had over the network involves my printer but that's another story!

If you want to control your Mac over the network, install Vine server and have it run every time it starts up, then on a PC install VNC (the free version) and log in to your Mac over the network and you'll have complete control. That's what I was doing until recently because there was no screen hooked up to my system.

Just buy a cheap keyboard to control iTunes through your TV rather than getting an iPod Touch, I have both but tend to use the TV/Keyboard just as much, if not more often.

I bought a Keysonic Wireless Keyboard/TouchPad off of Amazon for under £30, not the best made keyboard in the world, but does it's job well whilst i'm slumped on the sofa.

Craig in terms of TV I have a lot of ripped and downloaded TV shows and films.

The ability to Vnc into the Mini is something I find handy.

My girlfriend picked up the Apple Remote and navigated through Front Row earlier to some photos of a trip we took. It's a winner.

Google Elgato Eye TV, btw. Unsure of spelling.

I'm posting from my Touch.

There are no offers on the Intell units at the mo

To be honest, I am only (at present) intereted in the music issue and the viewing of piccie son the plasma when we have friends / family over

Could I use a G4 mini (i.e.not the intel), whack an airport express up its jacksie to make it 'wifi' and use it to run slimserver and keep the squeezebox duet

I don't quite understand the airport express G4 mac mini relationship

(on the basis that I might be convinced to change over to an ipod touch)

Possibly a silly suggestion but can a PS3 not be used ?

Reason I ask is that my PS3 can now pick up Twonkymedia on my NAS so all music/pics on my NAS can be heard/watched on my plasma (Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!).

this makes me wonder if you can do it in reverse i.e. all stuff on PS3 and streamed across house (PS3 has a digital out so I guess you can put into a DAC).

Sorry if I'm talking rubbish as usual.

Craig,

I recently did some conversion of FLACS to Apple Lossless for a friend, but found that DBPoweramp's codecs could not encode to Apple Lossless. The solution was to use DBPoweramp to batch convert FLAC to WMA Lossless, then import the whole library into Itunes, but specifying in the settings that you want it in Apple Lossless.

Ed

gsrai wrote:

Possibly a silly suggestion but can a PS3 not be used ?

Reason I ask is that my PS3 can now pick up Twonkymedia on my NAS so all music/pics on my NAS can be heard/watched on my plasma (Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!).

this makes me wonder if you can do it in reverse i.e. all stuff on PS3 and streamed across house (PS3 has a digital out so I guess you can put into a DAC).

Sorry if I'm talking rubbish as usual.

G - that would solve the piccie sissue, but I'd like everything controlled by either SB Duet or an iPod Touch

epca wrote:

Craig,

I recently did some conversion of FLACS to Apple Lossless for a friend, but found that DBPoweramp's codecs could not encode to Apple Lossless. The solution was to use DBPoweramp to batch convert FLAC to WMA Lossless, then import the whole library into Itunes, but specifying in the settings that you want it in Apple Lossless.

Ed

Aw bugger. Of course, changing to Apple Lossless is contigent upon me canging to mini + touch.

I'm thinking of starting out with a Mini G4 plus the SB Duet and taking it from there.I could always change to to an intel powered mini at a later point and change over to the touch.........

I'm really rather puzzled about how to fit a G4 (non in-built wireless) fit into the system.

If it's to use with the Duet, I presume I could just Ethernet the mini to the Squeezebox receiver, though I have ready about plenty of problems with doing this

If I were to use it wirelessly, i.e. it should connect wirelessly with the Squeezebox receiver, I am less clear about how this would be achieved. Certainly, if i wished to go the way of itunes / ipod touch, it would be necessary for the mini to be wifi enabled.

*scratches head*

It's not difficult or much hassle to do the conversion, though depending on the size of the library it could take awhile. But at least you don't have to attend to it while it is working away

Spend about 10 minutes setting up and testing DBpoweramp batch convert, then start it and go to bed or do something else. When it's finished, start up Itunes and point it to the music folder where all the converted stuff is and Bob's your uncle. The conversion to Apple Lossless seems to take a bit longer than the batch convert, but again it is unattended.

Can't help you on the Mac front I'm afraid, although you could possibly consider a usb Wifi dongle...

epca wrote:

Craig,

Ed

You download the Apple Lossless (ALAC) CODEC from the db website.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm