Sign in to follow this  

What's your favourite album, of all...er...er...today!!!

a>

Grham Coxon today..

Paul,

i have this on order:

581675m.jpg

buddy is da man, probably the best drummer there has ever been, so many in rock and jazz tody have been influenced by him

Today it's:

Carnival.jpg

Wolfgang Flurs band:

YAMO - 'Time Pie'

buddy is da man, probably the best drummer there has ever been

Jazz drummers don't seem to rate him that highly. Depending on the period or style, most would name Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Max Roach, JackDeJohnette - and plenty of others. If we're talking about best showman, then Buddy Rich, along with Gene Krupa,might be your man.

Plum, fair enough, but enough others also quote him as THE major influence in their carreers perhaps more so for a rock drummer, what sets him apart perhaps for me is his then innovative use of rythym, brought the drums out more as an instrument in their own right, rather than just holding the band together, as an ex drummer he flotas my boat, but then so does Blakey, and roach, it's a taste thang, he seems to have influenced the more melodic rock drummers, Cobham, Peart, Bruford, Gadd, and thats fine enough endorsement for me :D

Fair enough yourself, AK, although perhaps what Cobham, Bruford and Gadd also have in common (I don't know Peart) is precision - and I can see that Buddy Rich would have been an exemplar in that direction. Theyare also evidently musicians as much as time-keepers, so I take your point on that. Personally, I always found Buddy Rich a bit 'look at me' (and exceptionally sweaty!), which turns me off a bit. I prefer the 'purring V8 under the bonnet' guys - Victor Lewis might be a current example. As you say, a matter of taste - great drummers, the lot of them.

Neal Peart, is the drummer with the Canadian Rock group Rush, better than Cobham even IMHO, uterly fantastic, he writes all the lyrics, and they are one of the tightest bands around, although not to everyones taste, Peart could be buddy's boy, although they never met, Seek out the Burning for Buddy, CD's started by Peart, but a lot of great drummers on it inc those mentioned above, there are 2 of them, and both great.

Although i only dabble in Jazz compared to an obvious sageas yerself, like the Bruford stuff, some Blakey, some Cogham, Some miller and Basie, among others, like a lota rythym in my music :D

Chewie wrote:

Really getting into Longview's Mercury today :cool:

I knew it would be right up your Kaiserstrasse. Das is good jah:P