ATC SCM40 speakers

2 minutes ago, Mark Holder said:

I discovered why they sounded warm. The solid links are absolutely horrible. I have replaced with some Chord Signature speaker links, totally opened up the sound. Now they sound nicely balanced. The tweeter and midrange are actually joining in, rather than being subdued. Bass is not dominating, but is very good. I'm impressed.

One wonders why ATC would supply their excellent speakers with "absolutely horrible" links; horrible sonically, from what you write subsequently. Which terminals did you have your cables attached to? Did you try the other terminals? What difference did that make if so? If the solid links are incapable of handling the required current, you'd imagine it would make a big difference which terminals you connected to.

I always used the links which came with the speakers. Maybe I swas missing something. Irrelevant on my actives of course!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would, as an ATC SCM40A actives owner, wholeheartedly agree with you. As I said to someone recently, it's the best £15,000 you can spend on speakers and power amp for £6,800 (or whatever current RRP

Life is a lot easier if you just specify ATC actives. No more fretting over blown tweeters, absurd amplifier/speaker interactions and daft speaker cables. Overload protection built in, and a far bette

One wonders why ATC would supply their excellent speakers with "absolutely horrible" links; horrible sonically, from what you write subsequently. Which terminals did you have your cables attached to?

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Mark Holder said:

I discovered why they sounded warm. The solid links are absolutely horrible. I have replaced with some Chord Signature speaker links, totally opened up the sound. Now they sound nicely balanced. The tweeter and midrange are actually joining in, rather than being subdued. Bass is not dominating, but is very good. I'm impressed.

I have them on a 600w Bryston, so mindful not to over cook them

I owned some mk2's for a while, I can report that the supplied links from ATC are perfectly up to the job.  Driving them with an ATC P2 Pro.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Mark Holder said:

I have them on a 600w Bryston, so mindful not to over cook them

You won't over cook them. ATC recommend amps with power up to 1500W.

• Like 1

Life would be a lot easier if amplfier manufacturers gave their max current specs as well as their power ones; it would make a damned sight more sense to most of us seeking to match equipment.

• Upvote 1

My ATC 40s with 500W MOSEFET mono blocks are any thing but lean or dry, if any thing there is a little too much bass. BUT and its a big but, the balance really depends on how the music is mastered/recorded.

In other words, they simply convey what has been recorded :-)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

Up to 1500w for passive SCM50, SCM100 and SCM150's. Up to 300w for passive SCM40's.

I sit corrected then, presumably the higher power threshold only applies if you turn the wick right up. IMO too much power is never a bad thing.

Wham bam thank you mam!

32 minutes ago, Musicraft said:

Over the weekend I briefly used EMM Labs/Meitner MA3 Pre/DAC > Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono's > SCM40's. CRACK and WHACK :D What a sound :)

Sounds horrible 😂😂

5 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Life would be a lot easier if amplfier manufacturers gave their max current specs as well as their power ones; it would make a damned sight more sense to most of us seeking to match equipment.

Life is a lot easier if you just specify ATC actives. No more fretting over blown tweeters, absurd amplifier/speaker interactions and daft speaker cables. Overload protection built in, and a far better sound than passives.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Blzebub said:

Life is a lot easier if you just specify ATC actives. No more fretting over blown tweeters, absurd amplifier/speaker interactions and daft speaker cables. Overload protection built in, and a far better sound than passives.

I would, as an ATC SCM40A actives owner, wholeheartedly agree with you. As I said to someone recently, it's the best £15,000 you can spend on speakers and power amp for £6,800 (or whatever current RRP is).

I have a mahoosive high current £8k amplfier in another system and this made the passive 40's sing as sweetly as they've ever sung. But the actives still bettered them all round and there's a £3k difference between the passives and actives vs the £££ needed to try to outwit the ATC boffins. Seriously, don't bother.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3