are any of you're mates in to hifi.

bommer

Super Wammer

Not really, my Dad and Brother both have Sonos systems, one mate has an Arcam Alpha/Acoustic Energy AE109 system and pretty much all the rest use their Laptop ot TV/Surround Sound.

I got the nickname at Uni 'Abe' (Abe Simpson) for having an old man hifi (Tannoy Cheviot and Michell Focus One) as well as being into Whisky.

My 2 best mates have always come round to listen to my systems but they think I am nuts spending the money I do.....Until yesterday....one of them had a marriage break up and moved to Devon and decided to buy some HiFi......I went down yesterday to see what he had. McIntosh MA8000 and Monitor Audio PL300, I nearly had a heat attack, quite a small room but sounded amazing

I went down yesterday to see what he had. McIntosh MA8000, I nearly had a heat attack, quite a small room but sounded amazing

Yes, some of that McIntosh kit does run pretty hot.

I hope your mate hasn't finalised proceedings, he may need more kit yet. :whistle:

A lad I've been doing some volunteer work with for a couple of years only let slip last week that he likes to hear music played back well. Never discussed it with him before, not sure if he means hifi, but he is coming round mine tomorrow for a meeting - not mentioned my kit to him, I'm just going to see if he reacts when he walks in and I'm playing something!

I'll let you know his reaction........

Had an interesting experience the other week. A BT engineer came round to check the external fault on the broadband. As the broadband supplier had incorrectly reported the fault as a telephone fault he was going to pack his bags and disappear. He said that the broadband providers often did this as they didn't have to pay a fee to BT in the event of a telephone line fault. However we digress. When said grumpy engineer noticed my Rega R5 speakers either side of the TV and DVD he took an interest and said I see you have a decent system or something like that. I pointed to the Harbeth's at the other end of the room and informed him that they were the hi-fi ones. He then took an interest and had a look at the amp and associated kit. He then told about his Cyrus kit which was packed away due to wifey and kids.

The upshot was out came the ladder, up the pole he went and fixed the fault with equipment he previously said he hadn't brought with him.

Sent via a Mobile

Had an interesting experience the other week. A BT engineer came round to check the external fault on the broadband. As the broadband supplier had incorrectly reported the fault as a telephone fault he was going to pack his bags and disappear. He said that the broadband providers often did this as they didn't have to pay a fee to BT in the event of a telephone line fault. However we digress. When said grumpy engineer noticed my Rega R5 speakers either side of the TV and DVD he took an interest and said I see you have a decent system or something like that. I pointed to the Harbeth's at the other end of the room and informed him that they were the hi-fi ones. He then took an interest and had a look at the amp and associated kit. He then told about his Cyrus kit which was packed away due to wifey and kids.

The upshot was out came the ladder, up the pole he went and fixed the fault with equipment he previously said he hadn't brought with him.

Sent via a Mobile

Sent via a Mobile

Result there Pete :^

Well worth repeating:P

- - - Updated - - -

Sent via a Mobile

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhhh, the dreaded Database error.......:roll:

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Funnily enough I had problems posting that and nearly double posted.

Sent via a Mobile

A lad I've been doing some volunteer work with for a couple of years only let slip last week that he likes to hear music played back well. Never discussed it with him before, not sure if he means hifi, but he is coming round mine tomorrow for a meeting - not mentioned my kit to him, I'm just going to see if he reacts when he walks in and I'm playing something!

I'll let you know his reaction........

well..? :)

I've just had a nostalgic look back over this thread - realised it's been 10 years. And suddenly I haven't got any friends any more. Strange:dunno:

Super Wammer

I Have a strange bloke up the road from me , Thinks he is Tarzan , Even uses it as his forum name :nuts:

Has some stuff in his music room , His record player has been referred to as a drug dealers wheel trim :D

Not a bad chap actually M rAndy :cool:

So in he walks to a silent system and is immediately interested and begging to hear it. About an hour and some great test tracks later, he is considering organ donation to raise money for his own kit.

As a drummer, he knows a lot of musicians, and has a good ear. Really enjoyed listening and chatting about sound quality with someone using non-audiophile cliches!

I played him Take Five, with the superb soundstaging he sat pointing to each musician in turn, then some bass -heavy pop stuff (Speakerboxx "Intro" from OutKast, and some Propellerheads) and he could identify the samples and where else they were used.

Back to classic 50s and 60s recordings - Buddy Holly - "True Love Ways" From the Original Master Tapes, Girl from Ipanema, Muddy Waters "Folk Singer"......he was very impressed.

well..? :)

I've just had a nostalgic look back over this thread - realised it's been 10 years. And suddenly I haven't got any friends any more. Strange:dunno:

Apart from the fellow outpatients of this forum I suspect that this may hold true for many on here.

Sent via a Mobile