macvisual

McIntosh users...

horus99 wrote:

I've owned a 275 for around 2 and a half years. I use it with a Hovland HP100 pre.

That seem like a cracking combo! Really love to hear the set up :^

horus

I've tried the Gold Lions in my 275s and even though they are an improvement on the stock valves I think the Penta Labs KT88SCs are the real deal. It might also be an idea to change the smaller ECC 83 and 81 valves for Telefunken or Mullard. This is a huge step up in sound quality.

Has anybody else here tube rolled Macs?

I had a MC275 last year and must say that i was dissapointed about it. It was in very good condition and it was hardly used. Beside it gave me a noise level (102db horn speakers) the sound was missing something, or maybe i was expecting to much from it. So i started to check the tubes, all with original McIntosh logo, some made in USA and some in China. About two of the small tubes gave me minimum measure so i replaced all with Telefunken and that made a difference but it was not still what i was hoping. Then i found out that the KT88 where also not very strong so i replaced them with Genalex Gold Lion and let it burn for 20-40 hours in order not to draw conclusions to early...but it was not the Amp for me i guess. At they end when you think of it the design is to complex, to many tubes....i prefer a simple and open design....Quad II Classic was my choice..

Hi,

Please help. I am a new user here and would like to know if it is possible to convert the MA2275 Voltage from 110V to 230V. I have bought it from US during holiday but don't want to use the transformer due to the quality of the sound not as good as I heard from where I bought that unit.

I am awared that in my country (Brisbane, Australia) there is no Mcintosh Service Center. No one can help to do this job. If I can manage to get the power supply circuit diagram or some hints, I can try to do that myself or ask some technician here to do that conversion.

Any help is very much appreciated here.

Thanks

actually there is a very good tech that most certainly can do what you require. His name is Patrick Turner and he is a tube amp genius. I guarantee he can do it.

http://www.turneraudio.com.au/

Hi macvisual,

I own the c2300 and mc275. I really love the musicality of the mac. Best way of summing is more of your music sounds better and you'll spend hrs on end listening and buying music.

The c2300 / 275 is a good deal more transparent with greater image width and depth than the integrated or c220 pre. Imo the c2300 is a must - the sound improvement is worth the outlay, the phono stage is great, with the ability to adjust loading from remote. Oh, and it looks the dogs! Most friends home straight in on it at home.

I have the gold lion reissues - gave more density to the sound.

I am writing all this on blackberry hence brevity. pm me if you want more info.

Cheers