Sign in to follow this  
JANDL100

What was your best hifi purchase in 2009?

JVS wrote:

I love it here :D thanks for having me.

Jim, you realise that POTDs never really go away, don't you? You'll have to live with that one for ever :D

otisbass wrote:

I think for value for money it has to be a pair of evenlode power filters built by earlofsodsbury. Magical.

you just know when someone is out in front of the rest

must speak to him

when he returns from his hols in coventry

;-)

cjr wrote:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/667/874/-/5180776/One-For-All-SV1740-USB-Wireless-Digital-Audio-Sender/Product.html?searchtype=genre

This when it was £17.99 and a Free Spotify account have been my best audio purchases/aquisitions in 2009.

5180776x.jpg

Can you send spotify on this from one room to another? I can't send spotify on my ps3.

clap wrote:

cjr wrote:
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/667/874/-/5180776/One-For-All-SV1740-USB-Wireless-Digital-Audio-Sender/Product.html?searchtype=genre

This when it was £17.99 and a Free Spotify account have been my best audio purchases/aquisitions in 2009.

5180776x.jpg

Can you send spotify on this from one room to another? I can't send spotify on my ps3.

That is exactly what I use it for, PC upstairs, sent to hifi downstairs. Works a treat. Not sure if you can attach one of these to a PS3 TBH? But attached to a USB port on a PC it works superbly.

The price of the One for All fluctuates like crazy.

FWIW Amazon have them for £30 at the moment... a bit better than the current £45 from play.com

Other sites have them offered from £25 but I can't vouch for them so I won't mention names.

My guess is that if you watch play.com carefully they'll be back down to £17.99 at some point and you can pounce for a bargain.

the best thing ive done is to get a dedicated power line to my room..

and also to convert ALL my cabling(power, IC, and speaker) to Analysis-Plus.

Looking back I've changed just about everything this year:

The least of the changes was the speakers: Lindley Allen ESLs for One Thing ESLs: an improvement (mainly in the bass) but very much the same Quad ESL sound.

Swopped out 47 Labs Shigaraki transport and Chord DAC64 for EAR Acute tube-output CD player - very different presentation, still as detailed but much less forward, more organic (more like vinyl which is a plus in my book).

Swopped out LP12/Alphason HR100s/Lyra Helikon for Townshend Rock Reference/Excalibur/Dyna 17D3 and then Shindo-copy plinth/Garrard 401/12in Thomas Shick arm/Koetsu Rosewood K Sig (tried out a few other arms and cartridges as well). Very pleased with the end result.

Swopped out Whest PS20/Mu20 for Conrad Johnson EV1, used with a Graham Slee Elevator EXP step-up, to which I added a 24v lead acid battery PSU. The C-J has really surprised me with its overall quality and how it's seen off every challenger.

If we go just over a year, I swopped out my Audion Premier pre/Audion Silver Night 300b PSE monoblocs for Adam's EAR V20 integrated, later modded by Sodders - if I look back, this was the turning point in getting my system the way I want it to sound. Everything since then has followed on from that. The pairing of EAR V20 and Quad ESLs is something rather special.

As far as bits & bobs go: swopped my cheapo G&W mains distribution box for an Isotek Sigmas, and later swopped that for a Nordost Thor; later added a Nordost Quantum QX2 mains conditioning box. I did also experiment with various other stuff including a Squeezebox and non-OS DAC, a Lyra Dorian Mono (still very much with me), a Slee Revelation adjustable EQ phono stage, assorted arms, speaker, mains and interconnect cables, TT mats, isolation platforms, and even some open baffle speakers, some of which made an improvement, others not.

Once very happy bunny - about the only things that have stayed stable are the Atacama rack and some mains cables.

I shudder to think what I've spent this year though. (Thankfully only the CD player was new, everything else came second hand). Even allowing something around break-even for some of the kit I've bought and sold, I've still put a lot extra cash in.

Well my new amp arrived today and I haven't been able to listen to it yet. :cs::cs::cs:

One of the 845s is fucked, bugger!

My god it's a big beastie too - I may need a new rack!

:shock:

Been offered a few M7s too! :):upgrade:

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Well my new amp arrived today and I haven't been able to listen to it yet. :cs::cs::cs:

One of the 845s is fucked, bugger!

My god it's a big beastie too - I may need a new rack!

:shock:

Bummer :x. How much is an 845