opusover21

Guide to Using a Mac Mini for Audio

Super Wammer
12 minutes ago, line weight said:

Ok, so I've installed Kodi on my mac mini.

It's imported my music from my iTunes library fine, and I've also got the Android remote (Kore) working fine. I can control music playback easily from my phone. So that's good.

Now I have to work out how to get internet radio working via Kodi; seems I have to install add-ons and will try that next.

I started looking into Netflix. As far as i can make out, there's no official add-on. There's an add-on but it's not supported by Netflix, so liable to stop working and it looks like a bit of a faff to install it. Not really what I wanted. But I'll give it a go.

The point was really to see if Kodi was going to work as you wanted without going to the expense of buying a Droidbox and being disappointed. If the Netflix add-on works then maybe you can stick with the mac mini. If you're happy with Kodi and you want the Netflix Android experience, then you can splash the cash.

3 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

The point was really to see if Kodi was going to work as you wanted without going to the expense of buying a Droidbox and being disappointed. If the Netflix add-on works then maybe you can stick with the mac mini. If you're happy with Kodi and you want the Netflix Android experience, then you can splash the cash.

Yup sure. Definitely worth checking whether a Kodi/Mac mini arrangement is going to work before investing in a new box.

Edited by line weight

The new blacker Macmini looks really good :^

It's on my Christmas list.

The latest Mac upgrade has still not sorted a few things out .

Only little bug fixes that Apple could of had sorted before release If only they employed those that know in the first place ???

Edited by Cable Monkey
Off topic content removed.

On 27/01/2010 at 21:42, opusover21 said:

I cant believe this thread is still going after so many weeks...

Nearly 10 years later...

I bought an old Mac Mini to use as a Squeezebox music server a few months ago. It's "Late 2009", with 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM, running El Capitan 10.11.6, and it cost me just £90. I added a 1TB ext HD to it (which I already had, but they're not expensive these days), and it's just about perfect for what I want.

I've installed the Logitech Media Server on it, filled the ext HD with my music, and it plays into a Squeezebox Duet receiver. I run the receiver through an external DAC, so it's used for wireless connection only and I don't use the internal DAC (though the internal DAC is exceptionally good for the price of a Duet receiver - which you can pick up used for around £40 these days).

I have an all-Apple system in my home anyway, because I use it for my work, but having the Mini means I can play music using my Mac Pro when I'm working, my MacBook when I'm just browsing, and even from my iPad or iPhone. I was previously using the Mac Pro as my music server, but that meant I had to have a big, relatively power-hungry, computer running so I could play music.

Anyway, a couple of things mentioned years ago in this thread...

The "No bluetooth keyboard or mouse" thing doesn't seem to be a problem these days. I use my Mini headless and rarely connect to it remotely - usually when I have new CD music to rip. Every time I do, I'm greeted with the bluetooth device warning - but it doesn't actually stop the computer's operation.

Anyway, I just wanted to reinforce what a great music server an old Mac Mini can be, for really very little money.

• Like 1

So I’m attempting to catch up to the 21st century an am now the proud owner of squeezebox and Mac mini what’s the best app for controlling the squeezebox and hopefully sorting out my dire library tags

20 minutes ago, luckysim0n said:

So I’m attempting to catch up to the 21st century an am now the proud owner of squeezebox and Mac mini what’s the best app for controlling the squeezebox and hopefully sorting out my dire library tags

If you can get it for the mac MP3 tag to sort your tagging

for control software, for nowt Logitech media server, if you can run in on the mini have a free trail with roon, its fairly specific on what it will run on, and cheap is not one of it's greatest assets. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, luckysim0n said:

Perhaps choosing 20th century hardware was a mistake then? 😂

Only joking! I am aware that comment might cost me my nuts! 
When I was in the LMS ecosystem, for control I used iPeng on an iPad which was free back then. It is £8.99 now but it will work well. Another possible option is SqueezePad which is £4.99. Pay for decent discovery and tagging software, especially if you are in to classical. Freeware doesn’t do the job justice. A popular choice is SongKong. The pro version rolls in at £35 but it will automatically discover and tag ripped files, add images and flag any up it cannot identify. Proper tagging is worth doing well, so parting with a few quid is money well spent in my opinion.

Just under 20 years since launch, the Touch’s which were the last official products are ten years old. 

My libary keeps vanishing on my Mac Mini and the stupid logitech media server cant relocate it getting frustrated now

Is that a firewall issue?