What are you listening to right now?

28 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

Interesting period in both peoples trajectory. When he and Marley parted, Marley poached the heart of the house band the Upsetters and went solo. Perry re-recorded a number of the Wailers tracks with other artists in an attempt to assert himself and failed miserably. Marley went on to great heights and Perry (along with a lot of other studio/producer setups) faded into relative obscurity.

But...imo Bob's best renditions were produced by Perry ? Their is an elasticity & soul to those recordings not found in future cuts ?   I think you can tell I am a Perry over Marley fan & recognise his flavour ....bit like the Skatalites :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 171.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jkbmusic

• vacdac

• Bazzer

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This re release 180g never fails to impress especially in the vocals with Sugden and Harbeth. Another great story book War of the Worlds

[1974] Supertramp ‎– Crime Of The Century [flac]

[1975] Pink Floyd ‎– Wish You Were Here [CD]

Posted Images

3268A29C-4E60-4F0E-9CDB-204B02380AC3.thumb.jpeg.e110ca6a106894bf2d3008d83450a11a.jpeg
marillion - marbles  2004  Tidal

• Like 2

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Live at the Twist and Shout EP.  Streaming from Tidal. Especially love them doing Van Morrison's 'Into the Mystic'.

• Like 2

Yesking vs Stever Wonder Superstion - Sam Redmore remix

1 hour ago, tkimages said:

I’ve a few of theirs and they are all quite good.

I've got five albums, which I will listen to more closely. Somehow I never took the time, until now, they have been undeservedly gathering dust

The Crusaders - Southern Comfort

Southern-Comfort-The-Crusaders.thumb.jpg.bf6bb9c2443a1bca7880dd7fcb78d7ac.jpg

Vinyl

• Like 4

Monolake,  VLsi. On Spotify first listen...

BEDA83D0-B21B-4A48-982F-610A14C6167E.jpeg

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, darthvadersdad said:

Monolake,  VLsi. On Spotify first listen...

BEDA83D0-B21B-4A48-982F-610A14C6167E.jpeg

Listened to a few last night. They create their own space dont they ?  Give Pole a go he does his own thing. Good stereo too.:)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, garn63 said:

Listened to a few last night. They create their own space dont they ?  Give Pole a go he does his own thing. Good stereo too.:)

I will do👍 They are very relaxing & easy to listen too...

• Like 1

Steingarten is a good place to start. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, garn63 said:

But...imo Bob's best renditions were produced by Perry ? Their is an elasticity & soul to those recordings not found in future cuts ?   I think you can tell I am a Perry over Marley fan & recognise his flavour ....bit like the Skatalites :)

There is no denying Perry’s talents, hence his subsequent re-emergence. But he was very much part of that studio/producer culture of that time which gave them immense power over individuals and bands in what many might have considered an unhealthy way. I had a discussion with @Oldius about this back when we could get together. Some bands (who were ‘in’ with producers) felt Marley broke the system which they considered to work well. But others took his lead, sought and got international contracts and most importantly figured out ownership and copyrights to their own music. Something many didn’t have under the studios. 

• Like 1

The artists were indeed considered unimportant and the owners of the old sound systems were king.  Perry (black ark) had an open house & everyone was welcome to come however.  I think he was bitter for a while when broke, that the future stars no longer visited....or even remembered his kindness.  I love Marley & Perry but still meet folks who take misguided sides.  I believe Perry has left a catalogue of work to be proud of just like Bob.  I love jamaican music from way back including the old R&B.  For 30yrs it was wonderful. :)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, garn63 said:

Steingarten is a good place to start. :)

Thats where I'll commence my journey into Pole then😝

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Like 1

Fairground Attraction - Ay Fond Kiss

Fairground_Attraction_-_Ay_Fond_Kiss.jpg.618e86c0997fb7bcd0b0cdfdb228025a.jpg

CD

• Like 2