What are you listening to right now?

Tel

The Band of the Royal Marines - Summon the Heroes. On cd... a day of reflection thinking of comrades lost too soon🙁

76BFC8F8-1519-4685-B06C-3AAC3BC061AB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yello - Motion Picture. On cd....

29A81CF1-2079-4E46-B6A5-F562EC41BE52.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2021 at 12:45, culturecrammer said:

Now yer talking :^

I've been very late to this (Forever Changes) and it's very good but I don't hear why it's in most top 40 lists. I have played it several times too, to let it grow on me.

Edited by TIU

6 minutes ago, TIU said:

I've been very late to this (Forever Changes) and it's very good but I don't hear why it's in most top 40 lists. I have played it several times too, to let it grow on me.

Not for everyone I guess.  It's in my Top 10 - as great a rock album as any ever recorded IMO.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events. On cd.....

C4567212-339C-4476-ABDE-06135E6A0055.jpeg

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Upvote 1

Late 60s 
Before the demise of the Triumph motorbike to the Japanese hot rods

1671DB55-D354-4BD3-8AE6-37B03F292ACF.jpeg

• Like 1

49191D0B-A75E-46A2-B2DA-4E22D4CCFBF0.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Late 60s 
Before the demise of the Triumph motorbike to the Japanese hot rods

A lot of those "Japanese hot rods" were designed by Bert Hopwood, who designed the BSA and Norton parallel twins. He also designed in 1952 a modular engine using common parts eg a 1, 2 or 4 cylinder engine all using the same pistons, rings, rods, valves etc, but none of the management were into "tiddlers" or the idea that if you bring youngsters up on your smaller bikes, they will move on to your bigger ones later. So it was left to none other than Honda to bring out the CB series.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

FWIW Bert Hopwood also learned from the errors made by Ed Turner in the Triumph engine:

• Instead of mounting the rockers inside the rocker box so that when the cam comes up it tries to lift the rocker box off its studs thus causing oil weepage, he mounted the rockers on top of the cylinder head and put inspection covers over them.
  • He also moved the cylinders a little further apart to improve airflow between them and hence cooling.
  • He got rid of those fore-and-aft pushrod tunnels (which always leaked oil) and made the pushrods go up the engine block between the cylinders.
  • Instead of 2 camshafts he used one (at the front) with all 4 cams on it, thus reducing frictional losses while trying to turn the camshaft and the component count (no of bearings).

The only thing we might have wished he'd done was to split the crankcases horizontally instead of vertically. We know now that most owners did their own "rebuilds" and levered the crankcases apart with a screwdriver thus causing oil leaks because they damaged the jointing surfaces. The vertically-split crankcase could have had a (slightly) better reputation if users had taken more care.

EDIT sorry, this has gone well off topic

Edited by audio_PHIL_e
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun. on vinyl....

287AF087-D769-44EE-A562-2A19DB33FBEA.jpeg

• Like 2