SMEagol

BEOVOX 5000 speakers

I figured a modest treat was in order after a very manky last few weeks - Just bought these mahoosive big lumps for the princely sum of £39 they are the size of a decent 12" tannoy cabinet or Lowther Acousta and very well made, these were up until recently in great nick for over 40 years old! until the nice chap that got them from the car boot sadly dropped a cab on one corner and dinged it - but fixable!, in a lovely lovely rosewood that I've just given a polish and has come up a treat, some surface muck on the polished chrome legs - will sort tomorrow - no rust, plus all the drivers work with no rot or surround issues as do the crossovers. Just tentatively plugged these in and they work - and sound good! Lovely bit of furniture even though they failed the sellers WAF test. Better listen when I can crank them up! - fun though nothing dull sounding here. 1.50am at the mo! They look very swish and elegant. Weigh 50lbs a side, and yes - famously fitted in my Smart car!

Big 12" bass driver - aye? tweeter array and two mids. Great woodwork, off for another polish!

link here...

http://beocentral.com/beovox5000-1960s

http://beophile.com/?page_id=1457

I'd like to rewire them with some beefy copper but havent got a clue at the mo, on the site they say you can reach the crossover behind the bass driver.

treble has an almost electrostatic quality the array clearly works very well, room filling sound these speakers rather than directional, works well with electronica that favours bass, and superbly with Miles Davis trumpet and treble/mid is very good and detailed. Bass is a tad polite, even with the correction knob on full setting but with bassy stuff sounds good. Quite as to why you'd need the nuts expensive 2500 treble units (unless you're posing, minted or both) is beyond me as theres no shortage of treble range here! Popping them on stands has greatly improved the imaging and probably explains why people bought the 2500 units which plug in, sit on top, and disconnect the array in the cabinets. Worth spending a little on I think. Whether this affects the desirability though as they are no longer original remains to be seen, don't like the thick bell wire!... Not enough to dislodge my Technics co-axials but surprisingly good! They like Underworld - as do I! If you took them to a party people would be impressed!

Thanks Gary, very pleased with these.

Theres some plans afoot! Gave them a bit of beeswax cream on Stewarts advice and some Brasso on the little chrome legs, they really look a treat right now. Decision has been made, StewartWen thinks a rewire would be good and some decent terminals, he'll do it when he gets chance, can't help but think the thinnish standard wiring is stifling the dynamics of a good design. The crossovers might have a freshen up too! Thinking about the ramifications of "buggering up a classic", I don't think this would affect the desirability its just a matter of bringing them up to todays standards. Sonics is what its all about anyway, the fact they look great is an added bonus.

nice buy mate :^had these in the late 80,s early 90,s BeoVox M75 Passive Loudspeakers but as you say bass was never a strong point , they did however do detail by the bucket full

Cor I dunno, spoke to B&O today, no spares for a 43 year old speaker, what are things coming to? No spares cos of some new fad eh?... :P Hot Danish girl phoned me though! (bonus)

Was after some push in feet for the chrome legs, but pretty standard 1" ferrules - any good hardware place will have them. (more B&Q than B&O) Strangely 1 side has original feet the other doesnt and they are a matching pair. :geek:

They'll do bass when we've finished with em Tommy!

Super Wammer

Well the calculation of £119.00 in 1968 weighs in at £1530.00 to buy new today :cool:

NIce one

not bad then! got my new ferrules sorted over lunch. I'm enjoying this. :D:D:D:D

any yes with 4 tweeters per cab... ramped up, can take your fillings out at 50 paces.

Cor I dunno, spoke to B&O today, no spares for a 43 year old speaker, what are things coming to? No spares cos of some new fad eh?... :P Hot Danish girl phoned me though! (bonus)

Was after some push in feet for the chrome legs, but pretty standard 1" ferrules - any good hardware place will have them. (more B&Q than B&O) Strangely 1 side has original feet the other doesnt and they are a matching pair. :geek:

They'll do bass when we've finished with em Tommy!

i think a change of cap for the bass iirc i thought at the time they were crossed over a tad high swamping the bass unit with lower mids rather than just coping with bass , good luck they are fun :cool:

This is the work I have planned for these speaks.............

Recap the xover networks

Fit new resistors

Brace the cabinets, this should stop the bass boom

refit xovers on the bottom panel

put a new input termination on the bottom panel, this is so it cant be seen in normal use, and also to get the speaks as close to the wall as poss

reire the cabs with some rather tasty wire

refit the drive units after some fettling of the drive units

Then sit down and be amazed!!!

Refinish the cabinets soi they look better than they do at the mo

Stewart

I don't know how you've positioned them, but they look to be large unported, sealed boxes. If you place them up against a wall the bass may be better. Sealed boxes often work really well that way and speakers of this vintage often expected and designed for that. Might be worth trying ... If you haven't already and it's feasible.

Hi sMEagol

Searched rewire Beovox 5000 and found you! Any chance you can tell me how you rewired them? spares etc, picked mine up at a local auction and wires have been cut, don't want to completely ruin them by going in unassisted.

Many thanks 

Steve

Super Wammer
5 hours ago, steve mitchell said:

Hi sMEagol

Searched rewire Beovox 5000 and found you! Any chance you can tell me how you rewired them? spares etc, picked mine up at a local auction and wires have been cut, don't want to completely ruin them by going in unassisted.

Many thanks 

Steve

Steve this is a 10 year old thread, but Chris maybe along in a minute @SMEagol