JamPal

Newbie Intro's

Oops! I guess I should have posted here before diving in feet first and creating a thread that laid bare my no0bness for all to see.

I registered on the AVS forums at the same time as this one but haven't bothered to activate that account yet... I can see everything I'd ever need to know is right here. So much knowledge. I'm glad I found you all.

I am a 50+ Electro-Mechanical maintenance engineer and live near Nottingham. I could re-wire the house or set the ink ducts on a printing press to within 5 microns but know naff all about hifi set up. I'm looking forward to the learning process.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Sparks said:

Oops! I guess I should have posted here before diving in feet first and creating a thread that laid bare my no0bness for all to see.

I registered on the AVS forums at the same time as this one but haven't bothered to activate that account yet... I can see everything I'd ever need to know is right here. So much knowledge. I'm glad I found you all.

I am a 50+ Electro-Mechanical maintenance engineer and live near Nottingham. I could re-wire the house or set the ink ducts on a printing press to within 5 microns but know naff all about hifi set up. I'm looking forward to the learning process.

TIP: don't ask "I want to buy XYX and have a budget of £YY" 'cos 

1. you will get lots of conflicting advice
  2. arguments will ensue 
  3. all of which suggestions will be above your budget

i.e. this lot love spending other people money

anyway welcome to this place, given where you live once we can run a show again (Kegworth again we assume) then you MUST go along, no sales pitches and just lots of home systems dragged from all over the country run by like minded nutters :D 

4 minutes ago, Sparks said:

Perfect. Kegworth is 5 minutes down the road from me :)

the hotel has changed hands but I'm guessing they might interested in a full hotel when very few people are flying out of East Midlands ;)

PS do fill out your profile, then we know what to call you and spend your money etc :D

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, Maverick said:

the hotel has changed hands but I'm guessing they might interested in a full hotel when very few people are flying out of East Midlands ;)

Lets hope so :)

• Upvote 1

Hello! Long time hi-fi enthusiast, been on a serious upgrade journey during lockdown (what else is there to do?!) so thought this would be the perfect place to frequent.

:D

7 hours ago, MarkC303 said:

Hello! Long time hi-fi enthusiast, been on a serious upgrade journey during lockdown (what else is there to do?!) so thought this would be the perfect place to frequent.

welcome Mark, plenty of Techie love on here. Plenty of records to be purchased in lockdown!

well done on filling out your profile!

Do keep your eyes open as there is some hope that our annual show (normally March) might be able to run before the end of this year (2020 was cancelled for some reason :doh:).

As it has been held at Kegworth in recent times provided the new owners want a full hotel and so will play ball then this might happen! Watch that forum section.

kind regards, Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul, great, I look forward to getting involved in the forum. 

Prior to lockdown I hadn't upgraded my main system for a long long time but I now have a dedicated listening room so spent a lot of time on eBay trading old bits for newer bits to get to my current setup which I am extremely happy with :D

Fingers crossed the annual show can go ahead this year, I will definitely attend. 

Difficult to assess what demands will be, maybe everyone will be desperate for a get together and we fill all 3 floors (the wisely cancelled March 2020 one had spread onto the top floor). There is room for just over 50 systems.

Keep safe everyone, we will return.

I’ve been posting here for some time but realised I didn’t say hi here. Music and hifi has been a passion of mine for about 40 years and I always assumed I was quite knowledgeable. Now completely humbled by the knowledge available on this forum. Very good to have found you all!

• Like 3

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Boris the Animal said:

I’ve been posting here for some time but realised I didn’t say hi here. Music and hifi has been a passion of mine for about 40 years and I always assumed I was quite knowledgeable. Now completely humbled by the knowledge available on this forum. Very good to have found you all!

Welcome to the wam Alan it is indeed a font of great knowledge and I think everyone has realised at some point that they don't know as much they thought. The best thing is most wammers are open to new ideas and suggestions.:whistle:

• Haha 1

On 11/02/2021 at 23:25, MarkC303 said:

Hello Mark. Welcome.

4 hours ago, Boris the Animal said:

Hello Alan and welcome

On 10/02/2021 at 09:50, Sparks said:

haha will do :D

EyUp Marcus. Welcome :)