Newbie Intro's

JamPal

On 01/08/2021 at 19:24, Seibassman said:

Hi Ady

Thanks for the welcome.  I am expecting great things from the upgrades which are the first upgrades I have commissioned in my Linns 36 years of service! It will probably be some time before I can save up the pennies to consider anything further.

Welcome - it helps if you fill in your profile to let us see what gear you are using and the locality helps with getting in touch with local wammers for shared experiences (listening to each others systems) .. enjoy

On 27/07/2021 at 04:05, rjinaz86323 said:

My name is Rick.  I retired to a small town in North Central Arizona. I am on fixed income, so no expensive purchase in the future for me.  I have been into audio and video most of my adult life.  In our last home we had a nice home theater with Linn Speakers and electronics, A Runco 3 gun projector and a 130 inch screen.  Since a retired we have downsized from 4,000 sqft to 1500 sqft so no more home theater.  I did manage to keep a pair of AV5140's and an older Linn Classik.  I listen to CD's through it and also have a Pioneer Elite 300 CD changer.  I am wanting to use the music from my PC from internet based radio stations and also from my iPads and phone, as I have over 10,000 songs I have accumulated.

Belated welcome and well done for completing your profile - so many fail to do it and it is so useful when people post problems so we can see what they are using.  Enjoy your retirement .. my missus is more forgiving (well she chose the speakers so she has to be) .. my house is not much bigger than your 1500 sq meters (and that includes the upstairs) .. my lounge is 21 x 12 feet ( i prefer old money) and I have never been one for home theatre it is hard enough getting two channel right ... My speakers are huge in the room but hey ho we are all happy here (and retired like you).

Thx.  My area is only 11x12 ft so I only have my Mac, with phono amp, DAC, a Thorens TD 160 with a Nagaoka 110 cartridge, and a small pair of powered speakers.  The family room is bigger at about 14x16 ft so there I have my Classik and the 5140's, along with a Pioneer Elite 300 Cd changer.  Now that I know what the DAC will do I will at some point pick up another one for the CD changer.  I have been trying to deal with a guy about some older Linn equipment, but he has been pretty flaky so not sure that is going to happen.  So for now I just need to enjoy what I have.

Edited by rjinaz86323

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got the deal done with the guy on the older Linn system.  It includes a Majik-1, a Mimik, a pair of Keilidh's, and a full set of Linn cables, both interconnects (analogue) and speakers (K400).  I have spent some time cleaning the Majik and Mimik, inside and out.  I replaced the dust covers on the Keilidh's, and repainted the exterior cabinets.  I am trying to figure out if I can get them to fit, both acoustically and aesthetically, in my small room.  Then I can hook up by Mac Mini to use as my music server and streamer.  I have not yet tested to see if the DAC in the Mimik or the external Schiit Modi would produce better sound for the CD's.  The Schiit will be used for the Mini regardless.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I somehow seemed to have completely missed posting here, so despite having done many posts now I probably should do a nice wee intro!

Howdy all! Long time lurker and not much of a talker! I'm a fairly new audiophile! Well "new", been exploring the hobby for what must be 4-5 years so a pretty good while especially relative to my young age of 20!

My journey started off with a pair of Sennheiser hd599 and a Trio Ka-1500 and B&O C75 speakers! Well I've come a long way since then, I've moved through the head-fi chain fairly quickly owning several pairs of stax including the wonderfully unique sigma and Holy grail signatures, now I've downsized from stax and run myself a pair of Hifiman HE1000V1s (though don't use them so much now since I don't work from home anymore!

Now the juicy speaker journey! Over the years I've always owned vintage chain equipment but modern speakers (mostly) replacing my Kenwood I brought a Yamaha M/C65 combo and then upgraded to a pair of MA Silver 100, after that I caught the 104/2 bug and somehow went through 3 pairs that I completely rebuilt. Now I run myself a lovely Sansui BA-F1 and atm I'm pre less! Since my C65 died, but I run through a pair of JBL L100 Classics that me and the other half thought were fantastic when we demoed! And run both a digital and analogue chain but shan't go into more detail this post is already quite long oopsie!

I've recently moved into Cheltenham from Stafford, so life has been changing and I no longer have folks I know local! So would love to find some local fellow hobbyists! 

Zak!

• Like 2

Welcome Zak. 

You've certainly packed it in, in your shortish time in the hobby. It's good to have some young blood onboard. Well it helps bring the average age of the membership down to around 60 😂

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Welcome Zak. 

You've certainly packed it in, in your shortish time in the hobby. It's good to have some young blood onboard. Well it helps bring the average age of the membership down to around 60 😂

Ahah! My pleasure go bring that average age down haha. I've only really been through high speakers in the last 3ish years but in the last two years alone I've been through those MA'S, kef cantor III (which I gave to my father) tannoy 607, the 104/2 and a pair of Ref Model Ones I've got sat desperately needing a set of uni qs! Though I should probably just get the cabs sold, some ditton 44 and what I currently own: the JBLs and a MA bronze 5.1.2 system! 

Nothing that exciting in chain really beside what I currently own! Been pretty lucky with good deals over the years!

Welcome Zak

Do watch the bake off threads, great way to meet folks on here. Don't be shy to ask for an invite as hosts usually prioritise newbies, mention bringing cake. Wammers love cake. And pies. In fact anything bad for you. :D

Watch for the wam show updates. 2020 didn't happen for COVID-19 reasons. The 2021 show was a bit of a "hiccup". 

We now have a new (or really reformed) admin/mod team who are busy fixing stuff and I understand are also researching venues as the Kegworth hotel is under new ownership and may no longer be suitable which is a shame.

kind regards,  

Paul 

• Like 1

Wow thanks Paul!

Appreciate the response, I'll have to have a look never actually looked in that section haha. 

Me and the other half were looking at the wam show but decided to pass cause of getting there! And seems like it was probably good I didn't get too excited!

Zak 

2 minutes ago, ProfessorP3PP3R said:

Me and the other half were looking at the wam show but decided to pass cause of getting there! And seems like it was probably good I didn't get too excited!

Zak 

Zak

If there is anyway possible you 2 must come! There will gear from every price point / reequipment age.

Unlike trade shows we WILL play requests, if it clears the room then you might get a funny look, but we don't bite. VERY unlikely that you'll hear pro show pliny-plonky jazz.

Trust me the old venue at Scalford Hall was a mare to get to! (no longer on the cards I think even though it holds great memories for us all). Have a read of this from 2015: https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/news/a8618/are-the-audiophiles-hearing-something-were-not/  when we were still there.

The hotel at Kegworth was much better as next to the M1 but it's been bought out so suitability to be assessed. For sure the team looking at suitable locations will be looking at ease of access and if possible public transport links I am sure.

Watch the threads, hope to meet you one day. Do introduce yourself! 

kind regards,  

Paul 

Cheers Paul! 

Yes we definitely must come! I really want to, it's just travelling currently neither of us drive cause of the lovely covid waiting times. I feel a feeling it'll end up just being me as the other half isn't as keen on getting as stuck in as I. haha!

The article really made chuckle I have to admit, I will keep track and see where things are for the next one. If worst comes to the worst always find myself a way-taxi over and give someone a hand! (Though hopefully I'll be driving by then)

Don't you worry, hopefully we'll meet in the not so distant future! Thanks for the really pleasant welcome+

Zak