Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

And yours Keith, nice to get out and get some shots, been a while for me too.  Found a new place with some interesting birding possibilities so I’ll try and get back there soon. 

Britain's smallest bird. Weighing approximately 5g which is the equivalent of a 5p piece! 

46861867301_552cea6607_h.jpg

Goldcrest by Keith M, on Flickr

Edited by unintended1
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Bolts said:

Lovely Goldcrests Keith - macro might be best for those ;)

Thanks Ben. They do let you get close but they never stop bloody moving! :)

Keith - these are just stunning. Not just from a photographic point of view (that's a given from you!) but that they show how truly beautiful nature is. :^

Thanks Richard. It's amazing what you can find so close to home. Until I got a camera I didn't really appreciate the beautiful little things around me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, unintended1 said:

Thanks Richard. It's amazing what you can find so close to home. Until I got a camera I didn't really appreciate the beautiful little things around me. 

Spot-on, Keith - I won't dwell but I've suffered issues with my mental health over the years and found photography to be something which provides wonderful medicine for the mind. To really look at the natural beauty of what's around us, and truly take it in, is a privilege which I'll never tire of. :)

• Like 4

So true, all of this.

We are enormously blessed here. We have a relatively small garden and a town location, but the way it's laid out means that we are next to the far end of other peoples' large gardens and we are surrounded by a mass of trees and hedges. Come leaf-collecting time, I moan like buggery, but the rest of the time it's an incredible bonus.

The birds seem to know we like them (they should too, the amount we spend on assorted seeds, nuts and cereals!) and are constant visitors and companions. Over the last few years, blue tits, robins, wrens and goldcrests have all nested in the garden and keep coming back. We have a feeder about three metres from the back window that is a continual riot of assorted tits, finches and robins. The latter are horribly territorial, but real characters. Currently we have one at each end of the garden and they manage a near truce around the feeder. One is very timid, but the other helps with the gardening and will happily perch on the fork handle while I have a tea. The goldcrests are even less afraid. I've not managed to hand feed yet, but last summer I did get one to keep coming and eating off a plate on my lap.

Really must sit by the window with the camera sooner rather than later. As usual, work always seems to drag me away, but just ten minutes watching brightens my day enormously.

• Like 2

Now watching ..H is for hawk ...on bbc4...….just so calming to see helen macdonald and her goshawk lupin

no need for Valium ….just beautiful ...I urge you all to watch it .

I struggle with the basic idea of falconry or anything of that ilk. I am aware that, like the ZSL, a lot of the effort goes into conservation. It's just that I can't help feeling a little saddened by such magnificent creatures being anywhere other than in the wild.

2 hours ago, Gromit said:

Spot-on, Keith - I won't dwell but I've suffered issues with my mental health over the years and found photography to be something which provides wonderful medicine for the mind. To really look at the natural beauty of what's around us, and truly take it in, is a privilege which I'll never tire of. :)

Very well said. I've also had mental health problems over the years and I think photography is wonderful hobby. There are so many different aspects to enjoy. Technical challenges, artistic expression,  having gadgets to play with or simply appreciating the world around us. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rabski said:

So true, all of this.

We are enormously blessed here. We have a relatively small garden and a town location, but the way it's laid out means that we are next to the far end of other peoples' large gardens and we are surrounded by a mass of trees and hedges. Come leaf-collecting time, I moan like buggery, but the rest of the time it's an incredible bonus.

The birds seem to know we like them (they should too, the amount we spend on assorted seeds, nuts and cereals!) and are constant visitors and companions. Over the last few years, blue tits, robins, wrens and goldcrests have all nested in the garden and keep coming back. We have a feeder about three metres from the back window that is a continual riot of assorted tits, finches and robins. The latter are horribly territorial, but real characters. Currently we have one at each end of the garden and they manage a near truce around the feeder. One is very timid, but the other helps with the gardening and will happily perch on the fork handle while I have a tea. The goldcrests are even less afraid. I've not managed to hand feed yet, but last summer I did get one to keep coming and eating off a plate on my lap.

Really must sit by the window with the camera sooner rather than later. As usual, work always seems to drag me away, but just ten minutes watching brightens my day enormously.

That sounds like a great place to enjoy the birds. I noticed the goldcrests were braver than the redwings when I was photographing both, but that's amazing to have one eating from your lap. 

1 hour ago, unintended1 said:

That sounds like a great place to enjoy the birds. I noticed the goldcrests were braver than the redwings when I was photographing both, but that's amazing to have one eating from your lap. 

I know that more than a few posters here have been through issues of one sort or another. These hobbies have elements of the compulsive for sure, but are also if not any sort of cure, at least a good way to leave some problems on the back burner. I've found cartridge alignment perfect :rofl:

The goldcrests are lovely things and enormously playful. We had the whole family in the summer, two parents and three young ones. We have a pond and I've arranged a small waterfall, but with the water initially running onto a rock from about a 20cm height. The birds love it and the goldcrests lined up in turn to play in it. It's only when they get really close that you see how tiny they are, but the wrens are pretty close. I've posted it before, but here is our hungry wren family from a couple of years ago:

wrens.jpg

Edited by rabski
  • Like 4