Bazzer

Twitchers Thread

Down at the WWT Arundel today - snapped a Kingfisher, not the greatest shot as it settled miles away in a dark tree, but I'm getting closer - one day one will perch in front of me in perfect light with a fish in its beak...!

50364757142_440bdfc409_b.jpgKingfisher WWT Arundel_2.jpg by Ben Bolton, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Also a Kestrel was hunting over the reed beds

50364592021_3d97ab37f1_b.jpgKestrel_2 WWT Arundel.jpg by Ben Bolton, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

While walking along the coastal path in Bude, we came across this Kestrel hovering just over the cliffs.  Only had the 24-105 with me, so it is cropped to within an inch of its life!

While researching what the bird actually was, I discovered that Kestrels are the only bird of prey that can hover.

50375277976_d5449c07c7_b.jpg

Kestrel hovering by Tillman Kleinhans  ARPS EFIAP/g  DPAGB BPE4*  Hon LCPU, on Flickr

Canon 5D4 + 24-15L,  1/500s @ f8,  ISO400  raw.  PP in ACR.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, tkimages said:

I discovered that Kestrels are the only bird of prey that can hover.

I have seen hundreds hovering but never seen one drop onto something .

2 hours ago, unintended1 said:

Fantastic shot Tillman. Love the light that's on the bird but not the background. Really makes it stand out.

Thanks, but as the bird was so small on the frame, it made getting the correct exposure difficult. I got loads with the b'ground correctly exposed and the kestrel burnt out and with the bird exposed nicely, the shadow on the cliffs is very, very dark!

Edited by tkimages

40 minutes ago, tkimages said:

Thanks, but as the bird was so small on the frame, it made getting the correct exposure difficult. I got loads with the b'ground correctly exposed and the kestrel burnt out and with the bird exposed nicely, the shadow on the cliffs is very, very dark!

I can imagine! That's one area where an EVF really helps.

Poor little fella , we have a local population of Magpies breeding in and around neighbours gardens , they are always up to no good . The worst thing I saw was two killing a blackbird on my drive .

• Like 1

It’s a great shot Keith showing nature red in tooth and claw, reckon it would look good in mono too.