Jump to content

Pioneer pd-91 reference cd player (1987/1990)


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Now the PD-95 is one I would like to hear... and possibly own! I'm not sure why the PD-91, subject of this thread, has such a verging-on-cult status; maybe it's simply because depite being "high end" they were bought in significant numbers. I suspect the PD-93 and PD-95 were/are much rarer beasts but have no idea why.

As good as the PD-91 is however the PD-95's overall build, fit, finishing and performance are a class above the PD-91. This is no mean feat either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PD-93 was a step up from the 91 and can be identified by the two transformers hanging out the back.

new here!! (6-20-11) i've a copy of the legendary PD-91, a low-hours/ excellent condition example that i paid a premium for on AUDIOGON; first things first; i first came across non-functional

This was my PD-93 from many years ago

Posted Images

5 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I suspect the PD-93 and PD-95 were/are much rarer beasts but have no idea why.

I think it's because from around 1990 DAC's and to a lesser extent CD transports started to hit the market and were popular for the next eight years or so. This was the period that the PD-93 the PD-95 were available. Instead of replacing their CDP's existing players quite a lot of users added DAC's and with some replacing their CDP's with a CD transport instead. I believe this affected sales of the PD-93 and the PD-95.

Edited by Musicraft
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Musicraft said:

I think it's because from around 1990 DAC's and to a lesser extent CD transports started to hit the market and were popular for the next eight years or so. This was the period that the PD-93 the PD-95 were available. Instead of replacing their CDP's existing players quite a lot of users added DAC's and with some replacing their CDP's with a CD transport instead. I believe this affected sales of the PD-93 and the PD-95.

Interesting theory, you maybe right. I think DACs weren't just popular for the next 8 years though, they remain popular to this day. It is another form of separation and hifi buffs like separate components. It's greater control. And why not, dacs have no moving parts if anything is likely to ever fail it'll be a transport although the pioneer ones were massively well designed machines I'm sure it was not as likely as lesser machines. Maybe these were the pinicle of CD machine builds. There's not many that came close or surpassed these anyway. The way digital recorded music has evolved also DACs have just continued to be relevant for it where the humble compact disc is starting to become irrelevant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what happens. Vinyl was supposedly made irrelevant by the arrival of CD but it hung around and then had something of a renaissance. I don't think the same romance will ever be attached to CD's but no-one would have bet on vinyl back in the day either.

Happy to continue the chat elsewhere but let's not clutter up a thread initiated with an impressively detailed post in praise of the PD-91. :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, eddie-baby said:

Interesting theory, you maybe right. I think DACs weren't just popular for the next 8 years though, they remain popular to this day. It is another form of separation and hifi buffs like separate components. It's greater control. And why not, dacs have no moving parts if anything is likely to ever fail it'll be a transport although the pioneer ones were massively well designed machines I'm sure it was not as likely as lesser machines. Maybe these were the pinicle of CD machine builds. There's not many that came close or surpassed these anyway. The way digital recorded music has evolved also DACs have just continued to be relevant for it where the humble compact disc is starting to become irrelevant. 

Ime between 1998 - 2008 DAC's were not as popular because in the main the performance of CDP's had improved significantly so in most cases offered performance as good as or superior to adding a DAC. Around 2008 onwards with streaming starting to get into gear and with CDP sales slowing down DAC's sales started to increase and the rest is history. 

Back to 1996/1997 DVD had been launched offering DD/DTS soundtracks and many big manufacturers in particular routed more of their resources into AV components, followed by flat screens/plasma and then from 2007 onwards into Blu Ray. Probably the reason and unless I've missed something why Pioneer didn't produce another Reference CDP after the PD-95.

Having said this in 2008 Pioneer did bring the number 91 back again with release of their Reference BDP-LX91 BDP :cool:

Edited by Musicraft
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...