Sign in to follow this  
kingsxfan

What should I do?.............

Dear Wigwam users

I'm in a bit of a pickle with regards to my current compulsion to upgrade my amplification.....

Generally, I am still enjoying my current amp, but have this irresistible urge to upgrade (must...up...grrrade...ca..n't..ressiiistttttt). This is where it gets tricky. I love valves, really love valves, however I've seen some used solidstate kit for sale by Audio Synthesis that I would really like, and at a very good price. It's either this, or buy the Icon Audio 300B valve amp that's caught my eye. The Audio Synthesis kit is a 'Desire Decade' power amp and their passive 'Passion' pre amp. I'm very impressed with the phonostage I own by them already, they don't mess about. This kit will no doubt synergise well with my phonostage.

I don't know if I should sit tight, forget everything and just enjoy my music as it is, very relaxed and easy going on the ear, or throw caution to the wind and try something new.

My friends and wife tell me that my system sounds nice as it is and that I should should get a grip, having only just recently adding the Orbe/Tecnoarm/Audio Synthesis Passion phonostage to my arsenal.

I don't know what to do as I think the wife is eying up some exotic holiday somewhere for next year. She won't say anything as she knows that I like my music and my toys.

What to do....

don't buy anything just becuase it 'looks like a bargin' is my advice. Make sure you can hear it first, especially at the price/performance level to match the Orbe.

You should seriously consider Mr Coherent's Minimax pre, I'm sure you could get a demo somewhere. That along with a nice chunky solid state power amp, maybe some class D stuff like JJ's NuForce (he's a valve man isn't he?) would be awesome.

If you are going to upgrade, demo demo and demo some more. Otherwise just buy some good music, take the wife on holiday somewhere nice, that sort of thing is almost as good as buying a new amp anyway ;):D!

kingsxfan, it depends if you have lots of money. If you have lots of money then you should buy things. Otherwise, if you don't have lots of money,then you shouldn't buy things. That is what I think. I hope it is helps.

notaclue wrote:

kingsxfan, it depends if you have lots of money. If you have lots of money then you should buy things. Otherwise, if you don't have lots of money,then you shouldn't buy things. That is what I think. I hope it is helps.
Not particularly flush mate, far from it. Maybe I should run at the wall head first and hope thatIforget that I like hifi when I come out of my coma.

if you have a sound that you enjoy STICK WITH IT thats my opinion, i have been down that so called upgrade route many times ,only to end a lot poorer and disatisfied with my purchase.

if you must spend some money do it wisely, listen first and try to buy second hand. most of the stuff i have was second hand ,at half the new price. and if you find you don't like it you can nearly always get your money back again.

or failing that upgrade the wife to one that don't nag!

the only thing out of my kit that was bought new ,was the cartridge and plasma.

kingsxfan wrote:

notaclue wrote:
Not particularly flush mate, far from it. Maybe I should run at the wall head first and hope thatIforget that I like hifi when I come out of my coma.

I did that. Cured me it did. Without so much as a by your leave.

Mind you, I also lost the ability to tell when I needed the toilet. :shock:

I agree that AS know what they are about, as my sig. attests. However, for what its worth, I was warned off the desire decade as an amp, but I have had lots of praise for the passive pre.

a lot depends of the price of course - it always does, if only to assess options for selling on.

Guest Umberto

kingsxfan wrote:

Maybe I should run at the wall head first and hope thatIforget that I like hifi when I come out of my coma.

Maybewhen youcome out of the coma you will find that Linn and Naim have resorted to making MP3 players andvinyl isonly being used to make plastic bags,

Oh yeah and SS has died due to oatmeal poisoning and tonedefhas become amoderator.

:sw:

kingsxfan wrote:

What to do....

Upgrade your mains cable.... hahahahahaha :force:

But seriously, sounds like you already have a fantastic set-up. How much was the Audio Synthesis combo? Would it be better to upgrade the speakers if you're looking at future valve amps? Would there be other small things you could tweak like your TT that wouldn't cost money? A vacuum cleaner for your vinyl (Okki Nokki)?

Seriously, I wouldn't rush into an "upgrade" just because something is on offer. People tend to get stung that way.

JJ