Sign in to follow this  

what was your first real hifi ?

mine was in 1986 i went from a pioneer stack system to

dual cs505 mk 2

audiolab 8000a

heybrook hbs1's

god could that system give out some bass, my dad would constantly bang on the ceiling below, and i loved it.

Glens of Antrim wrote:

Yep welcome to the mid 80s.

Mine was also a fairly typical mid 80s system:

Dual CS505-2

Nad 3130

Denon DRM 07

Mordaunt Short MS25

First item was a NAD 5120 turntable in 1988-89

Though it wasn't until 1995 that I had my first complete seperates system:

NAD 5120 TT

Nakamichi CD-4

Densen Beat 100MK1(that lasted me till a couple of months ago!!)

TDL RTL3 (bi-wired with Cable Talk 3)

that long ago can not remember the year, went from coment separates to a P2, sansui amp, and pair of Royd's.

Biscuit wrote:

my current system is my first :shock:

odd to think really, the rest of the time I've been borrowing bits and pieces from parents

Your doing very well for you first system Bicky:^, I would have loved to have what you had when I was a student:D. I can see you having those Marantz Pre + Monos before you reach 25, and you'll probably only end up paying £5000 for the lot, knowing your bargin hunting skills;)

Cambridge Audio D300 CDP

Cambridge Audio A1 Amp

Gale Model 2i

Target Stands..

Batters has it now. :cool:

1973... Thorens TD150 / thorens arm and various carts (grado and shure I think) / Rogers Ravensbourne amp / Wharefdale Unit 4 kits...mmmm....treacly.

Blimey you lot do well to remember the exact model numbers :shock:all I can remember was that it was a CD player and amp from the Technics separates range, the CD Player was the second most expensive model from their promotional catalogue at the time and the amp the fourth most expensive model, the speakers were some small Mission bookshelf model.

I scrimped and saved for about a year to get them, much to the total ridicule of my classmates :roll:

Guest earl of sodbury

Stumbled into a brick wall with this one - according to many purists/snobs even my current kit is only "mid-fi"... :shock::x

Otherwise have the same problem as Chewie - I know it had a Technics TT, perhaps a Sony amp... and I think elderly Wharfedalespeaks - it was a donation from my then partner's son who'd just started working in a hifi shop who were probably embarssed by the "Jap Crap"... sounded fine, should have kept it!

churz, eofs

Chewie wrote:

Blimey you lot do well to remember the exact model numbers :shock: all I can remember was that it was a CD player and amp from the Technics separates range, the CD Player was the second most expensive model from their promotional catalogue at the time and the amp the fourth most expensive model, the speakers were some small Mission bookshelf model.

I scrimped and saved for about a year to get them, much to the total ridicule of my classmates :roll:

:D it wouldnt suprise me if my first CDP was the same Chewie, I cant remember the model either though....

earl of sodbury wrote:

Stumbled into a brick wall with this one - according to many purists/snobs even my current kit is only "mid-fi"... :shock::x

Otherwise have the same problem as Chewie - I know it had a Technics TT, perhaps a Sony amp... and I think elderly Wharfedalespeaks - it was a donation from my then partner's son who'd just started working in a hifi shop who were probably embarssed by the "Jap Crap"... sounded fine, should have kept it!

churz, eofs

Earl, Hawk.. You have HiFi. Only an idiot would tell you otherwise.

I think when you hang round these forums and read HiFi magazines too often the prices and levels of kit become more and more "normal". I bet if you peer aft to the distant past you will remember a time when £900.00 speakers was high end and an audacious prospect to say the least.

Now that you have them and know the Polar Bears, Whitter and AK’s of this world there is a new high end. A dangerous prospect indeed.