fuses for plug

37 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Those that didn't aren't here to post about it ;-).

They are watching over us...scowling!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Life was dangerous in the old days...if you smoked...that's dangerous..then using the fag packet foil to fix a broken fuse? Wow...its the gift that keeps giving...lol 

Those that didn't aren't here to post about it .

Indeed, but all the ones that didn't survive are strangely quiet on the subject.

Posted Images

We used to make sodium chlorate and sugar bombs. Never really exploded though, just smoked a lot, even in a bonfire. The mortar shell we found did though. I think we were about 12 (so 1970)? Harmless fun...

15 hours ago, Tintinabulum said:

We used to make sodium chlorate and sugar bombs. Never really exploded though, just smoked a lot, even in a bonfire. The mortar shell we found did though. I think we were about 12 (so 1970)? Harmless fun...

Heh, I grew up in a big old house backing onto the South Downs Way, as a kid we were always digging up spent and live munitions. There was a lot of training went on up there, as well as unspent bomb droppage by the winged lot on the way back from continental jaunts. Still got a box of mortar tails up in the attic somewhere. Lad at the end of our road lost most of his right hand fiddling with a fuse he dug up - you can imagine how distraught he was at that age - having to re-adjust to being a left hooker - right put him off his stroke as they would say.

Edited by Dave Brown

Hi all, have a cautionary tale re. fuses but in particular plugs that are incorrectly wired.
I have only ever purchased 3 Boutique cables, I do believe they can make a difference but that's a whole different conversation.
Cable 1, professionally made and marketed. Live and Earth were crossed at both ends, retailer stated it would pass PAT test, which is true, however had I on initial receipt of cable opened plug to put in a Boutique fuse or even polish the supplied fuse I would have seen L and E crossed and corrected that with Disastrous result. This cable was returned and I will never buy any of their range again.
Cable 2 was in system for quite a while but when I changed preamp it misbehaved as in not totally switching off. Opening the plug revealed L and N reversed !!
Cable 3 was Ok, but a failure rate of 66% due to people with no training and probably on minimum wage I find to be totally unacceptable.
So please don't assume your nice new cable is safe, please have it checked out for total peace of mind.
Stay safe, Norman 2507f9ec153367bfd19a6fe8a35108e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Safest cables are pre-made moulded kettle leads. You might not cry when Clapton is playing but at least it won't turn your whole family, hifi, house into a BBQ 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, kernow said:

You might not cry when Clapton is playing 

No but he does if you make him wear a mask.

• Like 1

I recently looked at some non-foo power cables and found lots of reasonably priced cables which simply didn't met the standards because the colors of the wires were wrong.

Insurance companies wet dream if there's a fiery inferno, and no way for you to know if you don't open things up to check....

Edited by Phobic

Reasonably priced cables are £3 plus postage 

2 hours ago, Phobic said:

I recently looked at some non-foo power cables and found lots of reasonably priced cables which simply didn't met the standards because the colors of the wires were wrong.

Insurance companies wet dream if there's a fiery inferno, and no way for you to know if you don't open things up to check....

I bought some Lapp cable from MCRU where the live and neutral are both black!  You couldn’t make it up.  

• Like 1

I'm a turkey, jump starting a car the other week, I assumed the black terminal on the good battery was negative (both black but I only looked at one-surprisingly easy to do in a hurry). Copper leads melt quickly don't they? I shouldn't be let out alone.