Sign in to follow this  
Crustyloafer

First Turntable Advice/Recommendations

Hi guys and gals,

Right, I ve decided I need a new toy to play with and that it's going to be a new turntable. It will be in fact the first turntable I've even owned, I don't even have any vinyl at the moment either. I don't have any particulartechnical experience of turntables but do like the sound they make when I hear one every now and again.

Anyway I was hoping that you could maybe voice your opinions of what I propose to buy and list any alternatives too. Being a Hi-Fi dealer (albeit not one that deals a lot with turntables) I am financially restricted to buying from one the the manufacturers I have access to through the shop atattractive prices. The manufacturers I can choose from are listed below:

Linn

Roksan

Michell Engineering

Goldring

Project

The machine I have in mind is the Michell Orbe SE with a Technoarm fitted. I have yet to decide on a cartridge but will most likely be looking in the £400-600 retail price region which I think is reasonable for this sort of setup.

soft_orbese.jpg

Basically can you list me suitable alternative combinations I should consider and why? I am looking for a fairly fast snappy sound with really tight bass. Also if anyone can list some suitable cartridges and what type ofcharacter they have.

I thank you for all your advice and help in advance, particularly as this will be a fairly blind purchase due to being in a store that does not have any high end turntables to listen to.

Thanks again,

Chris.

lot of money to spend on a deck with no vinyl Chris, may be more prudent to get a s/h deck and PSfor the price your planning on spending on a cart, alternatively, visit some customers with decks, have you listened to Duncans? his was relatively inexpensive, and I reckon he's happy.

In that case I'd try and get round some customers, or perhaps talk nicely to some of your peers in other stores, all the decks you mention, offer something a bit different, and deciding will be down to taste, I doubt I would spend that amount of money without even hearing it (and yes I have a rough idea how much you need to pay)

AK's got a good point. Even at trade discount, it's a lot of money to spend on a first TT. I love vinyl, but I had about 500 LPs purchased during my youth to fall back on. If I had no vinyl, I doubt I would consider buying a TT because acquiring vinyl isn't always easy. For example, my favourite musical discovery this year has been Kate Rusby. I've bought all of her CDs this year. I would love to have them on vinyl, buy they're not issued on vinyl.

Why not go for one of the cheaper Pro-Ject decks? The 2 Experience deck looks good and has good reviews.

Second hand is not really an option for me as buying new is 'relatively' already a good deal. If you were in my position you would not buy second hand either.

I'm fairly commited to this idea and have listened to a few before including the Project RPM9 with a Kontrapunkt B, the Michell Gyrodeck SE with an MC Rohmann, A Linn LP12 fully up to date but with only an Akito and finally a Roksan Radius 5 with a Sumiko Blue point special.

My favourite was definitely the Michell, it offered a very natural sound to me, really good timing and most of all outstandingimaging and depth.My second favourite was the Roksan Radius, very snappy and lively but overall a bit tiring to listen to. The Linn LP12 and the RPM9 were both very good but lacked bite and excitement.

ray70 wrote:

AK's got a good point. Even at trade discount, it's a lot of money to spend on a first TT. I love vinyl, but I had about 500 LPs purchased during my youth to fall back on. If I had no vinyl, I doubt I would consider buying a TT because acquiring vinyl isn't always easy. For example, my favourite musical discovery this year has been Kate Rusby. I've bought all of her CDs this year. I would love to have them on vinyl, buy they're not issued on vinyl.

Why not go for one of the cheaper Pro-Ject decks? The 2 Experience deck looks good and has good reviews.

Trouble is I've heard what a good deck sounds like and now anything less doesn't do it for me. Look at the rest of my system and you'll see why I've immediately 'jumped in at the deep end' so to speak. The Spectral has an absolutely phenomenal phono stage and it'd be a shame to waste it.

Good choice, however how much more is he next TT in the roksan lineup, as I'm sure it's more upgradeable, may be worth a listen before finally deciding, I take it you arre using the on board PS, if so (and anyway) I'd counter against buying such an expensive cart initially, try a high output M/C or a top M/M around half what you suggested

Guest adam

If you want a tight fast sound,Id chose the DV17D2,well worth the extra over the dv20,works well with Rega arms.

From memory of recent demo's I would ensure you at least have a listen to orbe+technoarm, with a blue point special, unless you can lay hands on a Dyno, failing that you could do a hell of a lot worse than a denon dl110, or dl103. I found the radius 5 a bit dissapointing, 1st album side it immpressed, second side it started to grate, third side it just Pdd me off. The grown up roksan is a totally different ball game. If you can get michell at good money, why not listen to techno deck and arm, it will keep you some pennies for LP's and may be easier to move on if you decide TT's are not for you.