FAO Dave Whitter

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Very interesting thanks, see its used with a mid :cool:

wonder why?

analoguekid wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:

wonder why?

Are you suggesting they are not the same then Paul?

Looks like a fish... smells like a fish etc.

hifiwigwam wrote:

analoguekid wrote:
Davewhityetagain wrote:

wonder why?

Not saying that at all James, they might be for all I know, some suggest that the Emotion shouldn't work as a two way, it was more a response to Daves comment.

I know, some suggest that the Emotion shouldn't work as a two way, it was more a response to Daves comment.

I might say that soon ;)still on the fence, there is no doubt from the comment from AK the system sounds fantastic and he and mr bear are very happy with the sound.

Also this set up ten in bass and tweeter with no mid has been used to very good results by some of the best over could be 40 years. AND thats whats counts at the end of the day

Do I like the sound from my speakers if so every done is ok

The thing going around in my head is that to get that great sound, a lot of very fancy footwork is done with the crossovers to get the tweeter down to 1.5kHz or below

now it can be done, and to be done well needs a good quality cross over as the best in normal use is 2-25kHz... that costs

now this tweeter retails for £205 each its one of the best on the market, so why not just use it how its supposed to be used?

If so and a mid speaker was added to the speaker getting the three to sound good would cost a lot less (I think)

Its a great speaker, sounds good, its just looks strange to me

I would be very interested to see them two drivers with a Seas Excel W15 CH001

http://www.seas.no/PDF%20data%20excel%2005/W15CH001E0037.pdf

Them three driver with a decent high quality cross over, which would not cost no where near as much to build (as a cross over for two drivers) could sound even better

then again two :dude: round and round you go ;)

I beleive it's a two way, as they are more often than not, more coherent than a 3way, perhaps spot could answer :D

I think its a 'similar' story with Living Voice (avatars) in that It is claimed, that the cross over is the most important part. Although its a three driver design, its based on two identically sized mid/bass units and a soft dome tweeter. Not sure if the crossover allows a diff or the same freq to reach both drivers though.

Hawk

analoguekid wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:
analoguekid wrote:
Davewhityetagain wrote:

wonder why?

Not saying that at all James, they might be for all I know, some suggest that the Emotion shouldn't work as a two way, it was more a response to Daves comment.

It's funny you should say that. The 2 way comment is something that struck me when I first saw them.. they defy convention in quite a few ways I would say.

Guest earl of sodbury

I doubt the crossover is particularly radical, suspect the clever stuff is going on with that big mid/bass unit - it's going to require some amazing motor technology to make it as fast as its claimed to be across what must be an unprecedentedly wide acoustic range - particulalry at the top end where it has to integrate with the tweeter - And still keep sensitivity and impedence sensible.

Presumably that (or a very similar) driver will be appearing in other speakers before long - I take it it's not an in-house job?

Await with some trepidation hearing these things one day, though I may come to regret it...

churz, eofs

earl of sodbury wrote:

I doubt the crossover is particularly radical, suspect the clever stuff is going on with that big mid/bass unit - it's going to require some amazing motor technology to make it as fast as its claimed to be across what must be an unprecedentedly wide acoustic range - particulalry at the top end where it has to integrate with the tweeter - And still keep sensitivity and impedence sensible.

Presumably that (or a very similar) driver will be appearing in other speakers before long - I take it it's not an in-house job?

Await with some trepidation hearing these things one day, though I may come to regret it...

churz, eofs

Earl, the crossover is a bit special, due to the particular compnents chosen, and their influence on the drivers, the xovers cost around 3-4 times as much as the drivers, the clever bit is choosing values that allow the tweeter to come down towards the bass driver, but w/out distortion, and for the bass driver to go up to tweeter w/out beaming, how radical that is I don't know, but those that have heard them have given them universal appraisal, the presence at any volume is what strikes you right away, then the detail, and textures, sublime, very musical, those whose other half indulges their hobby, but doesn't like to get involved in the music playing, should try the with these speakers, women love the sound, and lets face it, they listen to music, not hifi.

Perhaps you need to hear them Paul, they are quite a difference from earlier models.

Guest earl of sodbury

analoguekid wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:

churz, eofs

Earl, the crossover is a bit special, due to the particular compnents chosen, and their influence on the drivers, the xovers cost around 3-4 times as much as the drivers, the clever bit is choosing values that allow the tweeter to come down towards the bass driver, but w/out distortion, and for the bass driver to go up to tweeter w/out beaming, how radical that is I don't know, but those that have heard them have given them universal appraisal, the presence at any volume is what strikes you right away, then the detail, and textures, sublime, very musical, those whose other half indulges their hobby, but doesn't like to get involved in the music playing, should try the with these speakers, women love the sound, and lets face it, they listen to music, not hifi.

Perhaps you need to hear them Paul, they are quite a difference from earlier models.

Ak I don't doubt the quality of the x-over components, nor its vital contribution to a decent speaker, I just wonder how complex its architectureis; generally the simpler the better is the rule, and the higher the quality - and thus wider the dynamic range - of the drivers, the simpler the x-over can be. Added to this is the advantage (in simplicity terms) of just two drivers, which thus only need rolling off at one extreme of their frequency range in each case. Thus my guess that simplicity and high component quality are the key to this speaker's success. Pure speculation of course... ;)

"Need" is not a word I would use when it comes to hearing these, curiosity satisfaction is the name of the game - and we all know what curiosity does to cats... In my walk of life, £9K on a hifi component will Never be an option. And I don't do the lottery. Naturally after all the lyric wax that's been poured over these I'm interested in seeing if they really are That good... I'm sure an opportunity will present itself at some point.

churz, eofs

They are pretty simple Earl, I think the innovation is in the components and their particular values.

As for need, I didn't mean for buying, I meant you needed to hear them, to satisfy a certain curiosity you have over these, yes a lot of lyrical wax has been poured ovber them, mainluy from me and PB, but others not connected with this forum are just as gobsmacked, Another batch has to be made, as they are more or less sold out, some to dealers, but the majority to end users, I wonder how many other small manufacturers can say that 4 weeks after launching a £9k speaker, Main Kondo guy in the states reckons they need reccomended by Kondo they are that good, he has responded that they are fabulous over on the Naim forum, (poster SOS)as has every other person who has so far heard them.

So from a curiosity point of view you really do need to hear them. :D

suspect the clever stuff is going on with that big mid/bass unit - it's going to require some amazing motor technology to make it as fast as its claimed to be across what must be an unprecedentedly wide acoustic range - particulalry at the top end where it has to integrate with the tweeter - And still keep sensitivity and impedence sensible.

nothing fancy about the bass driver, I think in one form or another that has been around for a long time I doubt but might be wrong there is any

amazing motor technology