Hawk

Valve info

I've spent a few weeks doing my research on valves for my amps, mostly 12AU7 & 12AT7. The NOS tubes are absolutely fascinating.

1) I've seen a quad of Amperex Buggle boy made in Holland listed on ebay for $1,499,99!

2) Have any of the lads on here bought these rare and very expensive tubes?

3) And are they worth the money?

The main thing that stands out for me is how the Americans have managed to aquire the vast majority of the European made tubes!

4) I've heard a lot of people say on hear that the NOS are way over priced and that they don't bother with them, instead going for modern manufactured tubes.

Over the past 48 hours i've bought some Siemen and Telefunken NOS tubes for £80 & £60 from Portugal & Greece, and another two pairs on their way from America, one pair has customs pre paid and the others not, so it will be interesting to see how much the hairy goat legged Queen hits me for when they go through the mafia ganster customs department!

5) So next week i'm looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about with the NOS tubes, it's been very interesting and a lot of fun so far, it's like a hobby in itself, i haven't had to speak to the wife for days!!

In order:

1) Ridiculous price! Bugle Boy are EXACTLY the same as any Philips tube manufactured in the same factory (usually with Miniwatt as the European marketing logo). The added transfer of a valve playing a trumpet was only for American market branding. Unless you need bragging rights then why not but the NOS Miniwatt equivalent for £30 odd each?

2) Many of us :roll:

3) Occasionally. Depends on circuit and taste. They are usually long-lasting however, and may still appreciate in value rather than losing money which Chinese and Russian re-brand tubes will only do.

4) Many are, you need to pick and choose. Most sold as NOS on fleabay are not NOS, they are OS. Genuine stock attracts serious prices. Many Asian buyers are keen to acquire prestige stock, China and Russia have little original western stock as it was not sold to them, and this drives a decent market. New tubes are priced according to this demand. Some are good, many are ok, a lot are just ho hum, buyers choice.

5) Loads of fun IMO, enjoy, I hope they are a sonic delight for you :):^

Awesome James..Clapping my hands and doffing my cap at the same time mate 10/10 lol..

In order:

1) Ridiculous price! Bugle Boy are EXACTLY the same as any Philips tube manufactured in the same factory (usually with Miniwatt as the European marketing logo). The added transfer of a valve playing a trumpet was only for American market branding. Unless you need bragging rights then why not but the NOS Miniwatt equivalent for £30 odd each?

2) Many of us :roll:

3) Occasionally. Depends on circuit and taste. They are usually long-lasting however, and may still appreciate in value rather than losing money which Chinese and Russian re-brand tubes will only do.

4) Many are, you need to pick and choose. Most sold as NOS on fleabay are not NOS, they are OS. Genuine stock attracts serious prices. Many Asian buyers are keen to acquire prestige stock, China and Russia have little original western stock as it was not sold to them, and this drives a decent market. New tubes are priced according to this demand. Some are good, many are ok, a lot are just ho hum, buyers choice.

5) Loads of fun IMO, enjoy, I hope they are a sonic delight for you :):^

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting website Paul, but are these tubes worth the money in your experience?

I bought some from valves, though not the type you mention, from Brent Jessee (http://www.audiotubes.com/audtube.htm) for 200 notes and had no customs charge.

Awesome James..Clapping my hands and doffing my cap at the same time mate 10/10 lol..

- - - Updated - - -

Very interesting website Paul, but are these tubes worth the money in your experience?

I'm a beginner myself and the valves I bought were four different brands of the same type, to try in a DAC that I never bought :doh: (well not yet anyway). Just mentioning it due to not getting stung by customs but it will depend on what you paid and what the seller recorded.

I'm a fool and will be buying some NOS for my power amp but this time from JAC Music, as he has what I'm after and is a recommended dealer. Worth it depends on how interested you are to try things. I'm interested enough to try and not get upset if they don't work out, as no doubt they all won't. These dealers know the market and need to make a living so you'll likely pay a fair price but not necessarily cheap though.

IMHO Jacmusic and Brent Jesse are the good guys, buy with some confidence :^

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
I've spent a few weeks doing my research on valves for my amps, mostly 12AU7 & 12AT7. The NOS tubes are absolutely fascinating. I've seen a quad of Amperex Buggle boy made in Holland listed on ebay for $1,499,99! Have any of the lads on here bought these rare and very expensive tubes? And are they worth the money?

Only you can tell by listening to them. Don't forget that valves that have not been used for many years will need conditioning to get rid of any stray gases that have accumulated inside.

After you have listened to the NOS valves then take my advice and buy the Psvane 12AU7 TII and 12AT7 TII and hear what a good new manufactured valve sounds like. I would be interested to hear what you think.

That's what i intend to do, i just got a little bit carried away the other day and ended up spunking £300 on very small glass bottles. I may need to sell a few on to get the PSvanes! I'm after a brighter sounding valve as there are tubes in all my components now. My cd player has had a Modright upgrade to the output section and has 2 5687 valves in it, sounds unbelievable with strings!

Only you can tell by listening to them. Don't forget that valves that have not been used for many years will need conditioning to get rid of any stray gases that have accumulated inside.

After you have listened to the NOS valves then take my advice and buy the Psvane 12AU7 TII and 12AT7 TII and hear what a good new manufactured valve sounds like. I would be interested to hear what you think.

I'm about to buy a pair of fancy 5U4-to-5Z3 adapters. The seller is a middle-man and I'm not sure if I'll be getting the best advice from him.

While the adapters are cited and sold as 5U4-to-5Z3, I should be able to use them to connect a 5Y3 to a type 80 socket too right? I have looked up the pin layouts of all four rectifiers and 5U4 is the same as 5Y3, while 5Z3 is identical with type 80.

bookworm.gif

I'm 95% sure I can use these 5U4-to-5Z3 adapters to connect 5Y3-to-80, but corroboration would be assuring.

cheerSS

ps: and no I won't be using them to connect a 5U4 to type 80, or a 5Y3 to 5Z3, I know their filament draws.:D

Could anyone help me with a query re NOS valves. A while ago I sold a Quad system for a friend whose uncle had had the system Quad ll ESL 57 from new and had passed away. Friend has now found four Mullard valves all boxed in Zaerix boxes. Two of the valves are ecc83 have yellow print made in Great Britain on them and from the date codes appear to be matched to 1963. They look as though they have never been used, boxes mint etc. I have tried them in my new Line Magnetic 5181a ( and the Ming Da it replaced) and one channel has a loud hum with lots of crackle on the other. I only left the amp on for about 10 minutes but matters did not improve. Is this normal for valves that may have not been used for 50 plus years or does it suggest they are faulty.

Many thanks

Super Dealer

Hi, it's definitely not a valve operating normally. 50yr old valves usually either work properly or give symptoms like this. The only thing it might be is very dirty or corroded pins so that's worth a look but I would be wary putting valves exhibiting these symptoms in any decent equipment in case a faulty valve takes a resistor or other component out

David

Thanks David. Luckily all seems well with both Amps I tried and I shall now leave things well alone.

Old valves in new boxes is an extremely common phenomenon I'm afraid. Here's what happens:

1. The owner of a piece of kit starts to suspect that the valves in it are reaching the end of their useful lives (he's owned it for a long time and he loves it, so he's played it lots and lots).

2. He goes down to his local radio shop and asks for four new valves.

3. This is the 1960's, so there's been inflation, and the price of the new valves (even Zaerix ones) brings tears to his eyes. He pays it though.

4. When he gets home he takes the old valves out and puts the new ones in. The kit works better, but since valves are now so horribly expensive he doesn't fancy throwing the old ones into the bin. After all, they were still 'sort of' working weren't they ? And he has four empty boxes ...

VB

Old valves in new boxes is an extremely common phenomenon I'm afraid. Here's what happens:

1. The owner of a piece of kit starts to suspect that the valves in it are reaching the end of their useful lives (he's owned it for a long time and he loves it, so he's played it lots and lots).

2. He goes down to his local radio shop and asks for four new valves.

3. This is the 1960's, so there's been inflation, and the price of the new valves (even Zaerix ones) brings tears to his eyes. He pays it though.

4. When he gets home he takes the old valves out and puts the new ones in. The kit works better, but since valves are now so horribly expensive he doesn't fancy throwing the old ones into the bin. After all, they were still 'sort of' working weren't they ? And he has four empty boxes ...

VB

I just did that with my new valves

4 new KT88 and the 6550 are now in the 88's boxes , see it does work