Hawk

Valve info

Its time to replace the el34's in my Art Quintet as they've become noisy. The choice and price is as confusing as ever.

I've only heard it with winged c's and EH 6CA7's, I've been happy with the sound with winged c's but didn't like the 6CA7's. I could just buy another set of NOS winged c and carry on as it (its also the cheapest option) however I have the chance of a set of NOS Mullard el34 xf4 code, Psvane PH replicas (most expensive) or Psvave standard el34's (same cost of winged c)

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received?

The amp will also take KT77's

Edited by RSand

I rate the Mullars high, for their warmth and somewhat romantic sound. Prefer them to the winged cs. Tesla (brown base) and RTF are my next favourites, then the winged cs. Not familiar with the Psvanes you mentioned.

I have no position on the sound of these various valves, but I would be most surprised if the Chinese valves last a fraction as long as the Mullards would and for that reason, as well as cost and future resale value, I wold pick them. A lot of people seem to have strong feelings about the RFT/Siemens dimple top valves, but they are well made and were until recently available for relatively affordable money?

Edited by Jazid

Are these genuine mullards? They look a bit new and the holes in the bottom centre plate look drilled and a bit rough. They sound very good though. The seller reckons they are

Seller says "These valves were purchased by a family member employed at the Blackburn Mullard factory at the time of the closure, we have a receipt for valves at this time. They have been stored by the family ever since. I am therefore fully confident of their authenticity."

XP218082.jpg

XP218084-X.jpg

XP218086.jpg

Mullard EL34  (Philips).    xf4 production years 1976 - 1980

I think the code reads - 

B = Blackburn factory.

O = year 1980

H = Month August

3 = Week of the month

So made in the third week of August 1980 in the Blackburn factory ?

The holes look pretty good on the guide pins at least two of them look perfect, if they sound good, I suppose that what counts.

Edited by Hap Hazzard

It is normal for the centre pins to be drilled.

Brethren of The Valve,
Any recommendations for places to find a matched pair of 805 O/P triodes at non silly prices?

NOS preferred unless anyone has Good Things to say about a particular Chinese version..

Super Wammer

Shuguang WE845 Replica.

Has anyone got any experiences of these? They are considerably cheaper than the Psvane WE845 'replica' and one report I saw said they preferred the Shuguang WE845.

I am a complete novice when it comes to valves. My phono stage has six of them, including two Electro-Harmonix 6072As.

Can I experiment with changing these for a pair of General Electric Black Plate 6072As without danger of damage?

Are all valves of the same part number interchangeable? Is it likely the Harmonix were chosen for their 'voicing', or availability?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

8 minutes ago, robbyd said:

I am a complete novice when it comes to valves. My phono stage has six of them, including two Electro-Harmonix 6072As.

Can I experiment with changing these for a pair of General Electric Black Plate 6072As without danger of damage?

Are all valves of the same part number interchangeable? Is it likely the Harmonix were chosen for their 'voicing', or availability?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Yes, 6072A is a specific type and are interchangeable. A 12AY7 can be used also.

Edited by mr.me

thanks John -

would you anticipate much change in sound if I were to swap the above?

35 minutes ago, robbyd said:

thanks John -

would you anticipate much change in sound if I were to swap the above?

I would think so, depending on your phono stage. I have never thought that the Electro Harmonix were even close to the NOS 6072A tubes