Sign in to follow this  
browellm

Very expensive DACs

Only plays 16 bit 44.1, Pete is no lady.

Keith.

What does 'red book' only mean?

That it only supports CD standard, i.e. 16-bit, 44.1kHz. No hi-res such as 24/96.

Only plays 16 bit 44.1, Pete is no lady.

Keith.

Tell 'em all my secrets would you? you dirty harlot. :P

Super Wammer

I agree with Bob's suggestion of at least listening to the DAX decade. I haven't heard many other dacs at all, but I can say that I previously owned an older version of the DAX and have owned the DAX Discrete for about the last 8 years. I find that the Discrete is an excellent product. It appears to sound very accurate, and transparent, allowing dynamics to be preserved and giving a lifelike rendition of music played through it. Dave Heaton of Audio Synthesis was confident that this Dac sounded better than dearer DCS products and Wadia products that they kep in-house for development and comparison purposes. One of the Audio Synthesis dealers that I checked with also confirmed the superirity of the A/S dac.

I have found that a good test of the accuracy of components is to play music that contains acoustic, unamplified instruments, such as well-recorded jazz using acoustic guitar, brass, double bass, drums, etc. Orchestral music recorded with mikes placed away from the musicians is also a good test, since it contains brass, woodwind, percussion and string instruments. As I have attended quite a few live jazz gigs in small venues that have not required the instruments to be amplified, I have a good idea of how they should sound on my hi-fi- system. Although all of the systems that I have heard are lacking in one or more areas and fail to recreate the live event accurately, I have built a system that for the money, goes a long way to achieving the sound of live musicians playing in front of me. If this is also your goal, then I really recommend an audition of the DAX decade (but obviously also recommend an audition of other DACs too). One that hasn't been mentioned by Bob is the Chord Dac64. Although I've never heard it myself, a local hi-fi dealer, Music Matters, were enthusing about it at the time I bought my DAX Discrete. Other obvious contenders might be DCS and Wadia products. All of the mentioned products should be available second hand, but getting your hands on 2nd hand products to make comparisons may be a difficulty, and one thing that I have learnt, is that it is important to hear products sid-by-side, as our memory of how good a system sounded tends to be very short. Or perhaps it may just be me that suffers from this!

Best of luck with you search, anyway. If you are ever in the Sutton Coldfield area, you are very welcome to hear my DAX Discrete. I've seen the basic version of the Discrete sell for around £900 or so 2nd-hand, so very good vfm.

You are more than welcome to try out my Audio Synthesis DAX Decade and a couple other DACs I have. In my experience, most of the modern DACs go for ultra detail over listenability unfortunately. You may find the AudioMecca and Micromega DACs interesting, as they major on listenability.

what's this? what's inside? it looks like tubed (lampized:)) chinese lampucera dac from ebay?

Fully handmade in the UK :). It takes Gregor around 3 weeks to build these. There are lots of build options too. He's currently posting on the bay. Lives up the road from me so I'm arranging a demo once his next one is completed.

can someone help me to understand a current mayhem of hi-rez DACs, is it really supported with available music or just a forum hype?

can someone help me to understand a current mayhem of hi-rez DACs, is it really supported with available music or just a forum hype?

I think it's a bit of forum hype at the moment. The highest resolution I've so far seen on the net is 24/96. Some DAC's say that they can upsample though, I've not heared the results of these.

Super Wammer

My Audio Synthesis DAX Discrete upsamples to over 700 khz. As I can't switch this off to hear if would be better or worse without it. All I can say is that I'm extremely happy with the DAC and I trust Audio Synthesis enough to believe that oversampling produces a more accurate result, otherwise they wouldn't have incorporated it. The dac can deal with up to 96khz via optical, coaxial or balnced inpiuts. 192 khz has to go through the Audio Synthesis dual ST glass optical connectors, also known as ASL. The Audio Synthesis cd transport uses this ASL link and they can modify other suitable transports to also use ASL, such as the Pioneer cd/DVD-A/SACD transport. Even on cd, the ASL is beneficial, as it splits the data signal from the `timing' signal and processes them seperately. The Audio SYnthesis website explains it better, I'm sure.

I think it's a bit of forum hype at the moment. The highest resolution I've so far seen on the net is 24/96. Some DAC's say that they can upsample though, I've not heared the results of these.

Guest User211
I agree with Bob's suggestion of at least listening to the DAX decade. I haven't heard many other dacs at all, but I can say that I previously owned an older version of the DAX and have owned the DAX Discrete for about the last 8 years. I find that the Discrete is an excellent product. It appears to sound very accurate, and transparent, allowing dynamics to be preserved and giving a lifelike rendition of music played through it. Dave Heaton of Audio Synthesis was confident that this Dac sounded better than dearer DCS products and Wadia products that they kep in-house for development and comparison purposes. One of the Audio Synthesis dealers that I checked with also confirmed the superirity of the A/S dac.

I have found that a good test of the accuracy of components is to play music that contains acoustic, unamplified instruments, such as well-recorded jazz using acoustic guitar, brass, double bass, drums, etc. Orchestral music recorded with mikes placed away from the musicians is also a good test, since it contains brass, woodwind, percussion and string instruments. As I have attended quite a few live jazz gigs in small venues that have not required the instruments to be amplified, I have a good idea of how they should sound on my hi-fi- system. Although all of the systems that I have heard are lacking in one or more areas and fail to recreate the live event accurately, I have built a system that for the money, goes a long way to achieving the sound of live musicians playing in front of me. If this is also your goal, then I really recommend an audition of the DAX decade (but obviously also recommend an audition of other DACs too). One that hasn't been mentioned by Bob is the Chord Dac64. Although I've never heard it myself, a local hi-fi dealer, Music Matters, were enthusing about it at the time I bought my DAX Discrete. Other obvious contenders might be DCS and Wadia products. All of the mentioned products should be available second hand, but getting your hands on 2nd hand products to make comparisons may be a difficulty, and one thing that I have learnt, is that it is important to hear products sid-by-side, as our memory of how good a system sounded tends to be very short. Or perhaps it may just be me that suffers from this!

Best of luck with you search, anyway. If you are ever in the Sutton Coldfield area, you are very welcome to hear my DAX Discrete. I've seen the basic version of the Discrete sell for around £900 or so 2nd-hand, so very good vfm.

I found the Discrete very different to the DAX-2. All I am saying is the Decade maybe markedly different to the Discrete and the DAX-2. So Mark may not hear what you may be expecting him to.

Still, worth a try.

Super Wammer

Well worth him knowing this then, by the sounds of it. Good information!

I found the Discrete very different to the DAX-2. All I am saying is the Decade maybe markedly different to the Discrete and the DAX-2. So Mark may not hear what you may be expecting him to.

Still, worth a try.

ive come to believe that HiFi is a ruse, largely, so I stick with pro audio brands. all the performance(in many cases, much better) without the foo/insane price gouging.

forsell DAC http://www.forsselltech.com/#!/products/5

JCF Latte- tape machine electronics built into a D/A, theres yer "color" http://www.mercenary.com/jcf-da8v.html

Actually, thinking further, I don't mind if the DAC only does red book as I'll be keeping the Modwright as the transport, and that plays 24/96 natively from it's analogue outs. I may not change at all, the DACs I've listened to so far in comparison have been underwhelming.

Anything new will have no be in wowzers territory to warrant any change. Hence my earlier (rhetorical) question earlier as to whether something unbelieveably stonking exists out there. Pete and Adam have heard the Modwright in the context of the new amp etc., and it's not shoddy.

Anything new will have no be in wowzers territory to warrant any change. Hence my earlier (rhetorical) question earlier as to whether something unbelieveably stonking exists out there. Pete and Adam have heard the Modwright in the context of the new amp etc., and it's not shoddy.

I'd go and invest in a decent vinyl rig then mate....

I'd go and invest in a decent vinyl rig then mate....

That would be a stroke of genius if I didn't have 5800 CDs and 0 vinyl

Fully handmade in the UK :). It takes Gregor around 3 weeks to build these. There are lots of build options too. He's currently posting on the bay. Lives up the road from me so I'm arranging a demo once his next one is completed.

The pictures of the one in the eBay listing look to me like a Valab dac inside another box! It's even still in the bottom half of the Valab case. So it's a Valab dac with a valve output stage. He must work very slowly if it takes him 3 weeks to build one.