selfaddict

Subwoofer with OB speakers

Ah i see what your at. funny thing is i would have thought a 15" in a sealed box driven with a 250 watt amp would have given ample bass, im a bit suprised it needs more to be honest. if that is the case i cant see how i can get the bass i want.

cheers

Ron

My listening room will be 4 meters by 5 meters in a 1920's timber frame house with suspended floors.

If you want bass below about 35Hz, you are going to struggle with resonances with the above IMHO, especially at any sort of volume.

Possible resonances and room modes have been my main concern as well in a fairly small room that I am going to have. It might be best to try first with with the smaller 40Hz tapped horns combined with the sealed woofers I already have.

If I want to minimise resonance issues, what material the walls and ceiling should be? Is it best to use soft materials, like ground soft wood based boards? The house will be made breathable through the structures so I will be using these materials anyway. I have understood that if I use soft surface materials they will reduce the resonances / echo, am I right?

If you want bass below about 35Hz, you are going to struggle with resonances with the above IMHO, especially at any sort of volume.

Hi Ron.

This is difficult for me to explain, but there is plenty on quantity on the bass but it is lacking the quality, if this makes any sense. I can get all the doors shake in the room(32sqm) with plate amps volume on 3 o'clock. I have been playing around a lot with XTZ room analyser and did get rid of all the room modes. I am very pleased to the whole range frequency response as well, but I just want the bass response be as quick, deep and textured as the above 100Hz frequencies are :cs:.

Ah i see what your at. funny thing is i would have thought a 15" in a sealed box driven with a 250 watt amp would have given ample bass, im a bit suprised it needs more to be honest. if that is the case i cant see how i can get the bass i want.

cheers

Ron

Keep us posted how you go, if your doors are rattling you are getting low bass but i am not getting anything like that and even the bass driver is hardly moving which is a strange one even with Nitin sawhney playing which has some serious bass depths.

I hope you are patient :D, I am looking to have these up and running in a years time. Need to move to our new house next spring, then restore it to its former glory before I can start building the horns.

Keep us posted how you go, if your doors are rattling you are getting low bass but i am not getting anything like that and even the bass driver is hardly moving which is a strange one even with Nitin sawhney playing which has some serious bass depths.

I have totally missed this one, many thanks for the link. John did mention about trying OB with one Crystal driver and two 15" bass drivers.

have you seen this?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3970&page=5

might be worth having a chat with Vic at Trans-fi

cheers philip

I have totally missed this one, many thanks for the link. John did mention about trying OB with one Crystal driver and two 15" bass drivers.

they do look good Juha and he is getting bass that is deep and well integrated with the crystal driver. looks very very expensive though i think the Neo's are about £100 each

Gemini tweats are 800 euros then the crystals at 1200 a pair add frames, looking like a 3k package to me without the XTZ amps!

would love to build something like these but at these prices way out of my league.

Maybe if i can get a pair of used Crystals at a good price i may be able to get the drivers in US from a friend who can send as a gift.

great looking speakers though, would love to hear them.

The Selenium 15W12P-Nd drivers are no longer available from parts express so are probably discontinued. interestingly the QTs of these are 0.67 which seems low for open baffle

my Alphas are 1.37 Qts. there is a good review on the site from Vic on these drivers, here,

http://reviews.parts-express.com/2444-en_us/264-447/selenium-selenium-15w12p-nd-15-neodymium-woofer-reviews/reviews.htm

No longer for sale i wonder how 4 alphas with a bastanis wide band would fair?