speedysteve

Anti-Mode 8033 automatic precision room EQ for Sub woofer / Tapped horn

Well the Anti mode 8033c's arrived as promised. BKelec (UK suppliers) were very efficient to deal with (I have no connection with either supplier / manufacture other than the products I bought)

I need two of course one for each tapped horn.

They basically correct boom for low frequencies causes by room interaction (I have plenty of low frequencies on tap) and allow some other functions for lifting certain frequency ranges.

Nicely made by Finns it turns out.

2619138260071997495S600x600Q85.jpg

Round the back

2284100760071997495S600x600Q85.jpg

As you can see they are very small and once set up live behind my gear out of sight.

Installation, a breeze - only 3 cables per channel and they supply what looks to be a nice enough gold plated plug phono cable so, it is plug and play out of the box.

Calibration, a breeze - with the supplied mic plugged in, for each channel you simply hold down the two buttons and it starts off at very low freqs and sweeps up quite slowly. It does some auto adjusting of vols along the way, repeats this 4 times and it's done. Stored in non-volatile memory.

I did this for each unit for my left and right tapped horns.

Cos' it tops the peaks off they say you find you may want to increase the vol level 3-10dB on the amp.

First I played it flat and found some of the earth moving resonances I like were a bit quieter... (I am a confessed basshead - ask Mr Coco).

I cranked it up a bit on the Tapped horns amp vol control. Hmm interesting. Some places that didn't have so much bass before no have some - that's good.

Then I tried and lift functions. This lifts 15Hz to 25Hz by 7dB at 20Hz.

Of yeah I'm lovin' this!

Not surprisingly the whole presentation is cleaner and more rhythmic. All those untamed booms are gone so other things previously masked have come through.

The deep bass is still there but as I assume / can hear the places where I had room suck out have gone, (by how much I don't know yet) and are now playing through.

I can't measure it yet as the preamp / ghost power for the mic I've bought has not arrived.

So the overall effect is quite an eye or ear opener... things seem to have nice pace. Yello's excellent Touch album is even more balanced and dynamic / startling. There are also other bass textures coming out that were boomed away before.

This is definitely a good thing to have with the tapped horns in an average sized listening room or where they have to go against the side walls.

I still have a bit more playing around to do. I could calibrate without the crossover in as that might be favourable. Also I can try wider area calibration - useful of you find a 2nd listening area is not performing so well.

A fun bassy weekend coming up:)

P.S. if you don't make it to the DIY section often / ever you can read & look at the pics about the tapped horns build and all the other horns in the 5 way here

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?54198-5-Way-horn-project-big-boy-system!

Guest BD Audio
I've just noticed all the reviews you've added to your 1st post, must be reassuring to know so many admire your efforts.

He's obviously very proud of his results, I look forward to hearing these at Scalford.

God yes - I hope the doors are!

God yes - I hope the doors are and it performs well there - be a disappointment if it doesn't sound good there.

Yes that & if anything happens during transportation...

Mr Coco and I are planning next week - could be a killer system maybe.

Take a saw and some wood glue. :^

Guest BD Audio

Look forward to it, sounds like it might even better the efforts I heard at Munich.

I don't know about that - I've never heard any other 5 way setups. Avantgarde Duo's and a few other 3 ways are it for me.

I'd love to hear the big Cessaro setups - no chance of that though.

Look forward to it, sounds like it might even better the efforts I heard at Munich.

Guest BD Audio

The big Cessaro setup with basshorns was at Munich when I was there as was the Avantegarde trio/basshorn setup amongst others. I've heard some truely amazing horn systems, inspiring really. I felt I needed to outlay the time money and energy to hear some of the the best commercial efforts available before I could start the slow journey to try and build something. I'm really looking forward to hearing yours Steve.

Those are supplied by bK electronics, whose power amps I have used for a long time. great, GREAT products.

http://www.bkelec.com/

Great review Steve.

Do you know that there is new Dual-Core model coming to the market this spring?

http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/dualcorefaq.pdf

This would be great for someone who has more than 2 subs on the system :D.

Thanks. I did not know about that one. Could be interesting to try it on the mid bass too at some time.

I am trying to keep DSP off my signal really:). Although I am happily living with the Tapped horn range now though.

Great review Steve.

Do you know that there is new Dual-Core model coming to the market this spring?

http://www.dspeaker.com/fileadmin/datasheets/dspeaker/dualcorefaq.pdf

This would be great for someone who has more than 2 subs on the system :D.

I have been toying with the idea of having 4 tapped horns with my OB's, so this new Dual-Core model would fit the bill perfectly.

Although I am happily living with the Tapped horn range now though.

the sms can be seen on screen, antimode not...antimode has much better control and eq settings...

id go with the antimode and free software ie rew

Sent from my Android/Galaxy S 4G Hipster Douche Device using Forum Runner