AlanB

6922 valve why?

As a renowned tube roller I have been rolling in my EE Minimax CDP.

Tried several - Amperex, EH, Telefunken, Mullard et al. In that lot tried the JAN Philip 6922.

Bought a pair of the standard ones with green printing on the valve. Then tried the cryo'ed ones of the same valve. Let's not go into the why's and wherefore's but I much preferred the cryo'ed.

I still kept returning to my Siemens PCC88's

I then bought a pair of JAN Philips with BLUE printing currently on ebay from Germany.

A very different animal. Super!! Detailed and very musical (whatever that means :roll:).

I'd like to know why the blue print should sound SO different, and imo so much better, than the green print.

Obviously in the toob world all things aren't equal.

Have you tried the voskhod 6h23n or 6h23n-eb rocket logos?

I have a few ECC88/PCC88/6922 and they are still my favourite but apart from the philips none of mine are the same as yours. I really didnt get on with the standard jan philips 6922.

In my Einstein The Tube Mk2, all tubes of inputs are Philip 6922 with blue printing, I am thinking to try another pair of tubes - as Einstein allows owner to use different tubes in different inputs - to know how the 6922 sounds compared to the other. I have a question, has anyone tried the 6922 blue printing and compared them directly to other tubes? Thank you!

From experiance, different gear plays differently with dassorted tubes. Rolling is the only real way to try. I have had miserable experiances with some of the uber tubes, only to be blown away by some of the mediocre (apparently) offerings. Try as many cheapies as you can get your hands on.

:ot:

I have tried all the above but noone is telling me why the blue printed tube sounds so different from the green. That was the original post.

I don't own either of these valves I'm afraid. However, just to get the obvious explanation out of the way first, when you look through the glass at the internal metalwork in the green-print and the blue-print valves do they appear, to the naked eye, to be internally identical ?

VB

Thanks VB.

Absolutely identical other than what appears to be an extra wire in the bottom section.

Hi Alan.

Can you find out when the two different colour text valves were made? What I think is that different colours corresponds to different manufacturing years and dates and therefore can/will sound different, like Amperex white text valves compared to orange for example. I know it doesn't make sense but they do sound different even if they look identical inside. Could be due to different materials used :dunno:

I think the green-print tubes are modern production based on original design, though I may well be wrong.

Thanks VB.

Absolutely identical other than what appears to be an extra wire in the bottom section.

Hmmm. OK, without knowing what the extra wire does it's impossible to say whether it might cause the valve to work differently. In principle it could, even if all it does is to brace the internals against a resonance thereby affecting the microphonics. If this wire, or whatever it's attached to, isn't responsible for the difference then we have to believe that something else is (different winding or support scheme for the grids, different cathode material, different properties of the mica, who knows ?). And we're also getting back to the subject of a very long discussion started a year or two ago (by Serge, IIRC). Among other things, this was about whether the differences between different types (brands, versions etc) of what was nominally the same valve were actually larger than the statistical production differences within the output of a single manufacturer. Needless to say we didn't reach any firm conclusions and I fear that may be the case this time too ...

VB

Guest User211

I don't rate the greens much having come across them (again) in the Woo Audio WA3. I'm using Tesla Vrsovice goldpins for max 3Dness.

Are you sure the greens & blues both measure well (as new spec)?