storming norm

Supertweeters Are They Any Good?

Has anyone had any experiences of super tweeters?I am considering buying a pair of Tannoy Super Tweeters to use with my Zingali Overture 4s.

I have no idea if they will integrate properly with horn speakers and what benefits I will achieve.Any advice and suggestions greatfully received.

I have a pair of Fostex T90A which I use with my Hornshoppe Horns and sometimes with my older and more conventional 2 way Monitors.

In my system they add more detail, realism and 3D soundstaging. They do not interfere with the speakers since I choose a crossover point around 35 khz, This means I only hear the 'rising slope' (or whatever you call that) from the Supertweeter. I believe many people cross them over around 8 khz or so and therefore hear much more from the Super Tweeter. I like to keep the crossover point way up there.

IMO, avoid As is well known,. the youngest amongst us can only hear up to about 20Khz and by middle age to about 15Khz. All supertweeters can possibly do is artificially boost the higher frequencies within our hearing range by doubling the higher frequencies produced by a speaker's tweeters at the point they cross- over with them. This might create the impression of ''better' treble, but all that's happening is that these frequencies are bring exaggerated.

They are a con.

I

It depends what you mean by "any good". What does a Supertweeter actually do? It extends the frequency response further up the scale. However, it does this by adding to whatever's already there.

So, if your loudspeakers are flat to 20kHz or above, then whatever a Supertweeter does, it will lift the HF response from whatever the crossover frequency is. Therefore, the result won't be flat.

If your loudspeakers have a falling response above, say 15kHz, then a Supertweeter coming in at 15kHz, might redress the drop-off and provide a flatter response to 20kHz and beyond. However, it needs to be matched to the existing loudspeaker for sensitivity, or the effect will be either more or less than is optimum.

As to whether the result is an improvement, at the technical level I have my doubts, but it could be if the main loudspeaker has an HF rolloff, like the Quad ESL or Celestion LS6/600, and only provided the sensitivites are matched. Otherwise, I would expect the result to be technically worse, but of course as is so common, technically worse results are actually preferred subjectively.

Yer pays yer money.........

S.

I have a pair of Fostex T90A which I use with my Hornshoppe Horns and sometimes with my older and more conventional 2 way Monitors.

In my system they add more detail, realism and 3D soundstaging. They do not interfere with the speakers since I choose a crossover point around 35 khz, This means I only hear the 'rising slope' (or whatever you call that) from the Supertweeter. I believe many people cross them over around 8 khz or so and therefore hear much more from the Super Tweeter. I like to keep the crossover point way up there.

Given the limits of high frequency hearing, how can this make any difference. In a largish concert hall there will be a significant drop in an orchestra's high frequency output above about, say, 12Khz, due to high frequencies bring lost and absorbed in the hall. The only cconcert hall in which I've heard a bright and sharp treble is in the Barbican and even then only in the front few rows.

Natural listening environments do not provide a supertweeters experience: they are damaging hifi.

What constitutes a "Super tweeter"....I mean how far up do they go to be rated as such, is it usually around sixty k or something like that?

vacdac

Guest Sprockens

In the 70s I used to have an extra tweeter atop my Leak Mini Sandwich speakers. I must have started the whole thing.

I'm not so sure about the super part of super tweeter.

Some say they work on reinforcing sound waves of lower frequencies. As I have found with the horn projects, time alignment is very important and I would think it so with super tweeters if any benefit is to be had.

Why do you think you need them? Young people hear to 20KHz, after the age of 18 or so it drops.

Best thing to do is measure the Overtures and see what they are covering.

I would have thought that only very sophisticated measuring equip could work above 20KHz so not easy to measure.

I have played around with dual concentric Tannoys and as reported they drop off quite significantly about 15KHz.

Using my Raal Lazy Ribbon tweeters with them there is def more sparkle fizz and as they did with my horns the ribbons just integrate beautifully. Controlling the tweeter via a separate amp is a great way of playing with the output dynamically to see the effects.

Measuring the experiment, I could see that the 15KHz+ drop off of the Tannoys was filled in nicely - and that was what I heard.

I suppose i have become used to the true 20 - 20KHz my speakers provide and could recreate at least the upper part of that response with the Raals on the Tannoys.

As with all these things, I keep an open mind until I've tried something and found it not to work and even then things sometimes need revisiting again, or a couple of times to really confirm.

If you can borrow a pair and test that would be the thing.

My fountek ribbon tweets go up to 40k & are apparently SACD ready, I'm getting new crossovers next week haven't seen the specs. etc. yet. But the crossover point is higher up 4 the tweets, I've pasted some blurb in a thread I've started in DIY.

I think it's covered in more detail on AV forums........so I prolly should check it out & pay a visit to "Audio Favella Land" :zzzz:

I have a pair ( Townshend ) that I bought as a deal on the Wam with a pair of ESL 57s,

my hearing is damaged and doesn't get into double figures so they'd be useless right ? wrong.

Not quite sure why but they work, I didn't try them much with the ESLs as I'm moving stuff about at the moment,

I thought I'd try them out and sell them on, I plonked them on top of my Rogers LS1 and fired the system up, I didn't expect to notice a difference

as mentioned earlier my hearing isn't great but my girlfriend who was visiting has good hearing and is a violinist / flautist.

It made the Ls1s sound a bit special, everything I thought I heard as an improvement was confirmed by Louise, strangely enough the effects

weren't always apparent where you'd expect, there seemed to be improvements extending down into upper bass regions.

A good few people have now heard them in my system and nobody has been less than impressed, so to disagree with Wizons, they're not a con.

They worked less well with Snell type J mk2 speakers so please try before you buy, your system, expectations etc will be different to mine

Ta Steve hadn't seen your post as I dipped straight into another thread.

Ta

Chris

ps don't think I need em, just curious is all

Ta, too Jules

:^

I have Quad ESL 2905s which to me produce a wonderful sound.Recently took advantage of the Townshend super tweeter 14 day trial offer and after 7 days.............do not understand the theory or reasons why ..............but has improved what I thought was a wonderful sound.

Super Wammer

I always thought the main point of supertweeters was to add 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to frequencies that ARE in the audible band, adding realism to the sound? I am prepared to be disabused of this notion if someone knows better...:geek:

I always thought the main point of supertweeters was to add 2nd and 3rd order harmonics to frequencies that ARE in the audible band, adding realism to the sound? I am prepared to be disabused of this notion if someone knows better...:geek:

I'm a liitle puzzled here. Do you mean the 2nd and 3rd order harmonics are NOT in the audible band? If so, how would they have any effect? I don't have supertweeters, but am curious about their effects, as my hearing is different from family members, so I have wondered if they would work for me. Mind you, I don't think I could afford them.